Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects

Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?

Comment from: Diana Peery, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I received the swine flu vaccine, and since then I have had so many hormonal changes to my body. I now have hypothyroid, high cholesterol, psoriatic arthritis, and fibromyalgia. Thankfully I am now taking back my life with natural products that have already helped me to get off of my cholesterol medication, and lower my thyroid medication. My arthritis and fibromyalgia is also getting better as well. Mercury poisoning causes all of these conditions, but I found a way to get better.

Comment from: worried Mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My 7 year old got the flu shot on October 24th. Since that day my baby boy has had fevers of up to 103.9 and I'm lucky to get it down to 100. Right now its 4 AM and I have to keep waking up every two hours to check his temperature and keep track of it. He not only has the fever he has severe leg pain, chills, cough, stuffy nose and night sweats. Tomorrow he has his 5th doctor appointment and then the next day he has to have his heart checked to make sure he is okay. They say they don't know why or what is the reason why all this is happening to him. He has missed gymnastics and is now out of basketball. Today is 11/14/13 and I want my son to get better.

Comment from: A senior citizen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had the flu vaccine about three weeks ago. My after symptoms were soreness at the site of the shot, a bad cold, chills, and intermittent sick stomach. I never had a reaction until this year (2013). I still have chills at times, cold symptoms etc. I do not have a fever though. I am 71 and will not get the flu shot again.

Comment from: Farmer's daughter, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I got the extra strength flu shot on Friday. I didn't notice any reaction, some soreness at injection site. Late Tuesday I had a headache and by Wednesday and Thursday, it was pretty intense. I've taken OTC pain killers and they have helped. I'm hoping this is over soon. It's not pleasant.

Comment from: melli, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My kindergartener's class has been passing different colds and flu around, all year. A week ago I took my 4 kids to the doctor to get the flu shot. Well 3 days ago, my kindergartener started throwing up, had diahrrea and horrible stomach pains, though it only lasted 24 hours. Then I got it the next day, then the next day my 15 year old got it and then a few hours later my 11 year old got it and right after that I woke up with severe pain down my sides and in my back and when I coughed I realized it was my lungs that were painful. I have asthma so I guess it's not over for me. We always get the flu shots and almost never got sick before. This one has been bad.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I had the 2012 Southern Hemisphere flu shot here in South Africa over a week ago (9 March). Now all of my muscles are stiff and aching and I have had a bad back-ache. Temperature is up to 38C. Ears are blocked and eyes are itching. I have had the flu shot annually, but never reacted like this before. A codeine/ibuprofen pill gives great relief, but I think this has gone on too long now.

Comment from: Deborah.Grove, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had my first flu shot in about 3 years and about 6 hours later my legs and back were aching really badly. I developed a severe headache and was chilling so bad I was shaking. I ended up having a temperature of 102 degrees. I was so sick and don't ever remember feeling so bad. First time I've gotten the H1N1. Probably will never get another one. Too much of a coincidence.

Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms Question: Please describe your flu symptoms.
Flu (Influenza) - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies and/or over-the-counter treatments have helped your flu symptoms?