Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

My flu symptoms are extreme chills, dizzy ringing in ears, sinus congestion, severe fatigue, and agitation.

Comment from: RobinKS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

My flu symptoms are chills, fever of 100 and a little higher, deep cough, mild headache, scratchy throat (little), and aches.

Comment from: Crg2901, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have flu now going on two weeks; never in my life was it this bad and I got flu shot 3 months ago. It started with cough, muscle aches, fever, upset stomach, and headache. One night was so bad I went to hospital, I thought I was going to die. I am so tired sleeping all day and night, sweating. I have no energy, mouth sores, cold sores, and no appetite. Usually when I get flu, it's there few days then it's gone. I've missed 9 days of work already and I'm wondering if getting the flu shot actually made me get a worse case of the flu.

Comment from: rknott2612, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My flu symptoms are headache, pressure behind nose and eyes, swollen glands, sore throat, runny nose like a faucet, aches and pains, and cough when mucus builds up. I am not sure about fever, I do feel hot and have chills.

Comment from: TKoftheMW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had the flu for the last 3 days. My throat hurt, my glands were extremely painful and swollen, my joints ached like never before, severe headache, and I had a fever of 103.9 while on Tylenol. I literally slept 24 hours. I am now feeling better, but my glands are still very sore and I tire easily. I am wondering if I am still contagious if it's just my glands that are sore.

Comment from: Hate to be sick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

Four days after flu shot I suddenly came down with a fever (under 101) extreme fatigue, ear ringing and a headache. Headache went in 24 hours with Advil. Fever went in 48 hours. Now I have diarrhea.

Comment from: vern, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I had the 2015-16 flu shot and now I have sweats. Then I had chills, upset stomach and dizziness for 3 days.

Comment from: CM, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat, which I thought wasn't justified as I had been wrapping up warm when outside, etc. I went about my day as normal indoors. Then in the early afternoon, whilst in my room I got hit by this extreme tiredness that I've never experienced before. My body ached all over, particularly my neck, shoulders, arms, hips, thighs and hands. Then there was the constant, piercing headache that didn't go away for over 5 hours. This led to me getting a fever, sweating and yet at the same time getting chills and shivering. I wasn't coughing at all but had a bit of a runny nose, nausea and burning eyes. I was in bed at 4pm and had no energy whatsoever and couldn't get up until over 6 hours later when I needed to use the toilet. Every time I tried moving a tiny bit my whole body would shiver and I'd lose the energy again. Also, my eyes were much more sensitive to light. My mum said they were red. As someone who is usually active and productive in the day this was very extreme for me and it made me quite emotional. It's day two today and I've improved massively. Whilst bed bound yesterday my mum gave me two hot lemon and ginger/honey teas and made me take two day and night Nurofen cold and flu tablets. The Nurofen eased the head a little and very slowly. Today I haven't had much of a headache. I'm feel quite spaced out and tired but I can move around much more. I was feeling very sore this morning, especially around my chest and neck area but a very hot bath helped a lot. I had two tablets and another lemon and ginger tea but I've spent most of my time in bed to recover. The only thing left is a sore throat, lack of energy and the spacey-ness. I think I'll be able to make it through work tomorrow although I'm concerned about being contagious and being outside could make it worse, but I seem to be recover much faster than most people!

Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?
Flu (Influenza) - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies and/or over-the-counter treatments have helped your flu symptoms?