Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: kgeebeck, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I woke Saturday morning with cold sores covering my top lip. It was followed by body aches and a dry cough. It is now Monday, and the cough has subsided, but I'm still achy. When I do cough, my chest is very sore from all the coughing I did yesterday. So far, I've treated the symptoms with over-the-counter medications.

Comment from: R.M Taunton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I thought that over the past 60 years that I had experienced the flu. I now know that to be untrue. It started with a silly cough, quickly spreading to the worst sore throat that I have ever had. Within just a few hours, I was a shivering wreck. All of this was followed by an attack of the runs. Sleep was impossible because of a constant nagging cough and the sore throat. I am now into day four. The cough has slightly relented, although when I do cough, it reminds me of the sore ribs and back that I now have. I can now see how the elderly and infirmed have to suffer. I can honestly say that there have been one or two occasions over the past four days when I really questioned whether I would make it. The sore throat was one of the worst experiences of my life. I am writing this while I am feeling a little better, but I know that in just a short while it can all come flooding back. And to think that this is just a flu bug!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Ten days after I took the flu shot, I began to feel cold and tired. After freezing all night, I developed a headache and tenderness in the back of my head. Then the neck and shoulder burning, and pain in my joints began. It scared me enough to go to my doctor who confirmed influenza type A by nasal swab. The joint pain, headache, lethargy and chills have persisted for four days so far. I have no respiratory symptoms and mild nausea.

Comment from: Paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My influenza symptoms were a high fever (102.6 degrees), extreme fatigue, aches in my knees and joints, and a stuffy head and headache. After three days of this, I went to the doctor. He gave me one shot and some antibiotics. After that I had one day of rest, and then back to work.

Comment from: mayang_203, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I started out with a little bit of dizziness and aching bones. The later the day got, the more blurry my eyesight got, and the more I felt as if I needed to lie down. By day two, I could not get up because of being so dizzy. I had a tremendous headache, a fever, and no appetite whatsoever. My flu ended with a burning, sore throat.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My flu started with an internal chill that lasted for a couple of hours, and going to bed fully dressed did not ease the shaking. I developed a few aches and general lethargy. The worst symptom is/was the sore throat. It was burning and swollen to the point of not being able to swallow. I tried honey (straight off the spoon), warm honey/lemon drink, throat lozenges, gargling aspirin, milk. I only found relief with ice-cream. After a visit to a doctor two days ago, things are improving with antibiotics, especially for the snotty nose and cough. The sore throat is still here, and I'm still finding relief with ice cream. I have not been at work for a week, and probably won't be for another few days at least.

Comment from: Loraine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I just had my annual flu shot. Within half an hour I had severe cramps in my thigh and I can still barely walk. I feel very tired and my arm is sore. I guess it's better than having the flu, as I have asthma. I am 59 and have not had a bad reaction in eight years. I do hope I can walk to work tomorrow.

Comment from: sick in Mich., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

This started as swollen glands in my neck, in the morning. 6 p.m. same day, gastrointestinal pain, 7:30 p.m. started vomiting and having diarrhea. Laid down at 8:30 p.m., 10:30 p.m. more vomiting and diarrhea, very violent. 12:30 a.m. more vomiting and dry heaves and more diarrhea. Slept until 6 a.m. woke up with severe headache. I go back to bed. I also, have been freezing since yesterday evening. Took hot bath, tried to eat some yogurt, diarrhea again. No vomiting today so far. I am still cold, and I still have a headache.

Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?