Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: mbullitt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I began coming down with the flu last Saturday afternoon. It started with achiness, headache, and fatigue. I took an Epsom salt bath and went to bed early. The next morning, I felt cold and both mentally and physically "slow." I took another bath and tried to go about my day, but in church while everyone else appeared comfortable in shirtsleeves, I was shivering in an overcoat. I went home, took yet another hot bath, and went to bed. I've experienced queasiness verging on nausea (but no vomiting), especially at the prospect of eating; some light-headedness and dizziness when I've tried to bend over or move about; I had been having difficult bowel movements on Friday and Saturday (unusual for me), and even my urination was difficult. It felt as if all my "pipes" were reduced in diameter, and the flow was restricted. By Monday, all my bowel movements had changed to diarrhea and occasional soft blooms of bright color -- especially beet red. My energy by Wednesday had begun to return, and I was able to do some dishes and attend to some business mid-day, but by evening, I was back home in bed with my hot water bottle on my belly. I've continued to wake every two hours (at minimum) during the night to use the bathroom, but the flow no longer seems restricted. It's just the liquid diarrhea though. I'm eating only small amounts of protein, whole grains, fruit, and vegetables, plenty of water, hot light-colored tea, and chicken broth. I have not had any respiratory symptoms, possibly because I've cut out all sugar, refined carbs, flour, alcohol, and caffeine from my diet? At this point (Thursday), I'm still home, taking it easy, feeling mostly myself, except for the occasional need to use the bathroom from the diarrhea. My appetite was stronger this morning, and I didn't feel the need to force myself to eat my breakfast. I actually enjoyed the taste of goat cheese and a soft boiled egg. I feel hopeful the end is in sight.

Comment from: edrn08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm a 23-year-old emergency room nurse, and this year I opted out for the flu shot. Go figure that I got the flu. It started with a general “just not feeling good,” almost like a sinus infection. I had a low-grade temperature, some aches, burning eyes, dizziness, and tiredness. I took Tylenol to combat these symptoms that lasted for a couple days. Then it turned into a sore throat that was so bad I couldn't swallow. My tonsils were basically touching. I lost my voice totally, my fever wasn't going away with Tylenol anymore, and my head and body ached. By the end of my eight-hour shift on Monday, I had another nurse start an IV on me because I was so dehydrated. The doctor on duty gave me some prednisone to take the swelling down in my throat as well. It's now Wednesday, and I haven't returned to work yet. I've been taking an antibiotic and a steroid daily. I'm feeling a little better. I'm still very, very tired, and I still have a disgusting cough. My newest symptoms are diarrhea and stomach cramps. I ate some yogurt, and they have subsided at this point. My fever returned to a low-grade one. I still don't have a voice, but I'm back to work tomorrow at 7 p.m. for more action. Looks as if I'll never skip the flu shot again!

Comment from: Really Got Sick , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I just got over the flu. It started with a headache and not feeling well. The next day, I had a stuffy nose with sinus congestion and drip. The day after that, I was so thirsty. I kept drinking and drinking and couldn't figure out what was going on. Then, it moved to my throat. My throat was so sore, all I could get down was ice cream. Then, the body aches came. My bones hurt clear down into my legs. I got so sick that I couldn't get up for three days. I wondered if I was going to succumb to this. It was difficult to breathe. I'd wake up and then sort of try and sit up. I was running a fever of 102. I have not been this sick since the 80s. It took three days before I could even get up. It was difficult to even walk to the bathroom or kitchen. Now it is in my bronchial area. I still have the cough, which hurts when I cough. This was for a week. This one scared me. That is why I am writing about it here. I think now that I will consider getting the flu shot. I have never taken the shot before.

Comment from: Ron, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

My fly symptoms are shortness of breath, fatigue, fever, loss of appetite and chills.

Comment from: Polly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have aching muscles, sneezing, cold and hot feelings, lack of appetite and muscle weakness.

Comment from: Kyle, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

A couple weeks ago the doctor said I had bronchitis and sinusitis. He gave me amoxicillin for it and it seemed like it went away but it started up again on vacation. I've been throwing up a lot and coughing bad too. I'm not sure if the drainage went to my stomach but its making me sometimes not want to eat, and when I do I sometimes feel like I need to throw up. I've lost weight and sometimes when I'm full my stomach growls like I need to eat. I get the chills sometimes and get hot too. I also have acid reflex. My stomach feels like it tightened up and my ribs feel bruised. I was wondering if maybe I got something else too? And the biggest concern is the eating problem?

Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?
Flu (Influenza) - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies and/or over-the-counter treatments have helped your flu symptoms?