Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: Architect, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

My flu started with my lower back feeling sore. I thought it was related to my home renovation strain. This has now lasted five or six days. I feel OK in the morning. I can walk and do easy things, and then it's straight to bed, and I sleep the rest of the day and night. It does not seem to be improving. Even sitting is uncomfortable. I have a low fever and my eyes are sore.

Comment from: Jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I'm getting over the flu. It started last Wednesday with sneezing and a runny nose. I took a hot bath after shivering, but I still had goosebumps. I went straight to bed with my nightshirt on and was sweating. I could feel it running off my skin. The next day, I couldn't get out of bed. I couldn't even sit up. I was really thirsty and drank through a straw for some strange reason. Well, Saturday morning, I started my period, which didn't help because I'm always low on energy at this time of the month. This time, I just about fell into the bath. I could hardly wash my hair, but I did get a clean nightshirt on and crawled straight into bed. My hubby brought me some Lemsips, and my kids helped out with the other household chores. I got up on Sunday and managed a few hours in the chair watching TV but felt I needed to lie down as I was breathless and could hardly speak. Monday, I got up and felt better. I haven't eaten much, a little cereal and lots of drinks. Every day now I feel a little better.

Comment from: zbambi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My flu symptoms started Thanksgiving Day and continued for 11 days. In addition to the fever, chills, sore throat, and nausea, my skin felt tender to the touch on my arms and back. My doctor started me on Levaquin, and I believe it helped somewhat. My son had the flu too. His symptoms were much like mine. I still can not smell or taste well, just sweet or salty. I can't remember the last time I was this sick.

Comment from: eaf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I work in a pediatric clinic and received my flu shot. On Friday, about three weeks after the shot, I started to get a sore throat that lasted two days. It was mostly on the top of my mouth where it hurt. It was an unusual sore throat. I thought I may have had strep throat. I never had it before, so I wasn't sure what it felt like. I worked all weekend and just felt “blah.” My nose was running, and I felt more tired than usual. Then I started getting this hacky, barky, dry cough. I really felt like maybe I had pneumonia. My eyes got glassy feeling, and I was weaker than weak. I went to work on Monday. By the end of the night, I could hardly hold up my head to drive home. My normal body temperature is around 97. My temperature was about 99.9. That is high for me. I went to bed after taking some p.m. cold medicine. I woke up with severe stomach cramps and nausea. I couldn't go to the bathroom, but the pain was horrible, and I was on the verge of vomiting. I tool a Pepto Bismol tablet and finally got to sleep. I was yawning a lot, which was unusual. I went through half a box of tissues throughout the night. I still had the cough too. I had no appetite at all. I did drink flavored water. Today is day five since the onset of my flu. I am feeling a bit better and have eaten some. I still have nasal congestion, aches, fatigue and a cough.

Comment from: PlanoSusie R.N., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am an R.N., and I did not get the flu shot! Of course, I got the flu! Sunday morning I felt exhausted, but I went on to church. I had aching in my back, legs, and arms, which I thought was from lifting and cooking for Turkey Day. Then I had diarrhea on Monday, followed by nausea. I have been home now for six days. I have not slept uninterrupted due to an awful sore throat. Then it moved to my sinuses, and now I have a slight dry cough. I am up writing this feeling that maybe, just maybe, I am going to live! I lived on homemade soup, hot teas, and diet cokes. I missed five days of work and may still be out on Monday! To go out and contaminate others is the cruelest thing one can do: Stay home!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

High fever, throwing up, body aches, sore throat and extreme tiredness were the symptoms I encountered when I had the flu.

Comment from: BDM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My flu started with a sore throat that went into my chest. I thought I was getting bronchitis at first, but then the aching bones came. I then developed a cough, which has made by ribs ache and hurts every time I cough. This has made me lose my voice. I also am suffering from very violent sneezing, which has not abated. I am in my sixth day of it now, and I still feel woozy, although my cough is easing slightly. I am very sensitive to antibiotics; in fact, I have yet to try one that doesn't make me even more ill.

Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?