Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: Patti, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I started last Thursday night with sharp pains through my body, very high fever and slight nausea. It's now the following Tuesday and I'm hurting in my lower intestines, very sore. I have constipation and my back aches pretty bad. I am still running a slight fever but only when I exert myself. I'm not used to being this sick. I'm 70 and have had the flu just twice in my life, both times I was young. I never had a flu shot but maybe it's time!

Comment from: JamesHHH, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I first started a week ago with a sore throat and now a week later I have a horrible sinus problem along with aching teeth and horrible joint pain. I can't sleep because of this flu and I just want a good night's sleep! My nose has been rubbed dry because of the tissues and each time I blow my nose my head gets even more pressurized! I have found if your nose hurts really bad, to put some ice on it to numb it. It helped me.

Comment from: Brena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

On Wednesday night I had a mild cough, sore throat and a stuffy nose. I thought it was my allergies or a mild cold. At work the next day I was tired, not feeling myself, a little more cough, sore throat, stuffy nose and not hungry. In the night I was worse. When I woke up Friday I had a fever of 101, chills, tiredness, bad throat, constant coughing, dizziness and headache. Today is Saturday and fever over 101 continues, symptoms continue. I take Motrin and this helps some with fever. I bought Sucrets to help with my sore throat. The cough is driving me crazy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had the flu and pneumonia shot on a Monday. Eight hours later I felt so sick. I started shaking uncontrollably for a couple of hours, felt weak and nauseous, had muscle and joint pain, fevers, headache and neck pain along with very sore arm at the vaccination site. I couldn't get out of bed for 2 days. I had no energy and no appetite. Now, 4 days later I am 95% back to normal, thank goodness.

Comment from: Andreas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I have muscle pain, bone pain, shaking, and difficulty breathing. I feel very cold but I am also sweating a lot during my sleep. I think I have flu.

Comment from: zionadams, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had the flu nasal mist vaccine in September and multiple exposures to flu type viruses which did not affect me. On Friday (mid-January) I went to bed feeling pain in my hands and joints but didn't associate it with anything other than increased activity. Four hours later I woke up with my heart pounding in my chest, racing very fast. I woke up because of a Charlie horse cramp (atypical for me) and didn't realize my pulse was up until I had jumped out of bed and was already on my feet. I collapsed and nearly fainted. I had to sit down and talk myself down to normal breathing, and this took several minutes. I honestly wondered if it all would culminate in a heart attack or stroke. Afterward, I broke out in a heavy cold sweat and considered calling 911; nothing had been wrong 4 hours before. But there was no chest pain per se and I could smile normally. On my first day back to work I learned that another employee, who I had never met previously, had identical symptoms. (She thought she was having a heart attack as well.) We both went on to have chills, mild upset stomach, URIs (upper respiratory infections, low grade fevers (or sub normal temperatures). No headache, no vomiting. I would say it's been a steady level of mild fatigue. This is the weirdest virus I have ever had. Day 5 now: I cannot keep my nose from dripping. First day back to work and my boss says I look terrible and suggested sending me home.

Comment from: Sickwiththeflu, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

First I started feeling a little tired, dizzy and nauseous. No cough, just runny nose. After a few days, it hit me! Oh my goodness, I feel like a zombie. I can only get up to 2/3 hours a day and the rest of the day I"m in bed! I would say that"s the worse part of flu. Now my left tonsil and ear are infected.

Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?
Flu (Influenza) - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies and/or over-the-counter treatments have helped your flu symptoms?