Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: edrn08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm a 23-year-old emergency room nurse, and this year I opted out for the flu shot. Go figure that I got the flu. It started with a general “just not feeling good,” almost like a sinus infection. I had a low-grade temperature, some aches, burning eyes, dizziness, and tiredness. I took Tylenol to combat these symptoms that lasted for a couple days. Then it turned into a sore throat that was so bad I couldn't swallow. My tonsils were basically touching. I lost my voice totally, my fever wasn't going away with Tylenol anymore, and my head and body ached. By the end of my eight-hour shift on Monday, I had another nurse start an IV on me because I was so dehydrated. The doctor on duty gave me some prednisone to take the swelling down in my throat as well. It's now Wednesday, and I haven't returned to work yet. I've been taking an antibiotic and a steroid daily. I'm feeling a little better. I'm still very, very tired, and I still have a disgusting cough. My newest symptoms are diarrhea and stomach cramps. I ate some yogurt, and they have subsided at this point. My fever returned to a low-grade one. I still don't have a voice, but I'm back to work tomorrow at 7 p.m. for more action. Looks as if I'll never skip the flu shot again!

Comment from: Really Got Sick , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I just got over the flu. It started with a headache and not feeling well. The next day, I had a stuffy nose with sinus congestion and drip. The day after that, I was so thirsty. I kept drinking and drinking and couldn't figure out what was going on. Then, it moved to my throat. My throat was so sore, all I could get down was ice cream. Then, the body aches came. My bones hurt clear down into my legs. I got so sick that I couldn't get up for three days. I wondered if I was going to succumb to this. It was difficult to breathe. I'd wake up and then sort of try and sit up. I was running a fever of 102. I have not been this sick since the 80s. It took three days before I could even get up. It was difficult to even walk to the bathroom or kitchen. Now it is in my bronchial area. I still have the cough, which hurts when I cough. This was for a week. This one scared me. That is why I am writing about it here. I think now that I will consider getting the flu shot. I have never taken the shot before.

Comment from: Ron, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

My fly symptoms are shortness of breath, fatigue, fever, loss of appetite and chills.

Comment from: Polly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have aching muscles, sneezing, cold and hot feelings, lack of appetite and muscle weakness.

Comment from: Kyle, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

A couple weeks ago the doctor said I had bronchitis and sinusitis. He gave me amoxicillin for it and it seemed like it went away but it started up again on vacation. I've been throwing up a lot and coughing bad too. I'm not sure if the drainage went to my stomach but its making me sometimes not want to eat, and when I do I sometimes feel like I need to throw up. I've lost weight and sometimes when I'm full my stomach growls like I need to eat. I get the chills sometimes and get hot too. I also have acid reflex. My stomach feels like it tightened up and my ribs feel bruised. I was wondering if maybe I got something else too? And the biggest concern is the eating problem?

Comment from: surf181, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

I experienced fatigue, no drive, chills, a hacking cough, but mainly fatigue. This is the fifth day and I still need to go lay down frequently, but I do feel like I have passed the half-way point. Get your flu shots. This is the first year I skipped. Thankfully I can eat and drink okay. My dogs like the rest, but I'd rather be working.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am lying here on my bed in brutal pain writing this from my Blackberry. It started out last week (Tuesday) as a sudden sore throat, which was very painful, that lasted three days. Then, I thought I was fine, but I felt heavy pressure in my head and congestion. My nose was running, and I was hot and cold. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said I was having sinus problems. So he gave me the Z-pack. That night, I woke up at 5 a.m. with a horrific stomach pain and nausea. I began vomiting and having diarrhea all morning until about noon. Suddenly, my back, legs, and arms started throbbing! They still are. What started as sinus infection turned into the flu. I can barely move at all! I can't bear to look at food!

Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?