Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: Brena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

On Wednesday night I had a mild cough, sore throat and a stuffy nose. I thought it was my allergies or a mild cold. At work the next day I was tired, not feeling myself, a little more cough, sore throat, stuffy nose and not hungry. In the night I was worse. When I woke up Friday I had a fever of 101, chills, tiredness, bad throat, constant coughing, dizziness and headache. Today is Saturday and fever over 101 continues, symptoms continue. I take Motrin and this helps some with fever. I bought Sucrets to help with my sore throat. The cough is driving me crazy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had the flu and pneumonia shot on a Monday. Eight hours later I felt so sick. I started shaking uncontrollably for a couple of hours, felt weak and nauseous, had muscle and joint pain, fevers, headache and neck pain along with very sore arm at the vaccination site. I couldn't get out of bed for 2 days. I had no energy and no appetite. Now, 4 days later I am 95% back to normal, thank goodness.

Comment from: Sickwiththeflu, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

First I started feeling a little tired, dizzy and nauseous. No cough, just runny nose. After a few days, it hit me! Oh my goodness, I feel like a zombie. I can only get up to 2/3 hours a day and the rest of the day I"m in bed! I would say that"s the worse part of flu. Now my left tonsil and ear are infected.

Comment from: Flip, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I woke up at 3:30 AM sneezing and feverish. Went back to sleep till about 5:30 and man oh man! I have fever, body aches, eyes burn, lethargy and stomach ache. I am a mess!

Comment from: raider1222, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I have a severe headache since this morning, and it keeps getting worse. When I try to cough my head above my ears is in severe pain. I also have chills, body aches, loss of appetite, frequent urination. I do not and have not had a fever.

Comment from: dookfnp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My son came home from college with flu symptoms of fever, aches, chills, no appetite, sore throat and deep dry cough. He was sick for a total of seven days. Poor guy even passed out one night when he went to the bathroom. He was dehydrated, even though he was drinking a lot. My youngest daughter and I both started getting sick about four days after he went back to college. We both had the flu shot! Anyway, this couldn't be anything else. We had aches; high fevers (102 to 104 degrees); sore throats; deep, dry coughs; no appetites, and just feeling absolutely miserable. I still say to get your flu shot though! This has lasted about six to seven days.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am a 48-year-old female. I was diagnosed with Type B influenza yesterday. I received the flu shot in November of this year. I also had Type B influenza in February of this year. On Friday, Dec. 5, 2008, I started with what I thought was a cold or allergy symptoms: nasal congestion, slight sore throat, and some coughing. I went to my husband's Christmas party and probably infected several people unknowingly. Saturday morning, I felt really bad. I had body aches, a low-grade fever of 100, a sore throat, coughs, facial pain, slight nausea, and no appetite. I stayed in bed all day. Sunday morning, I was determined to go to church, so I took some Sinus Tylenol and Motrin and went. Considering I am a medical assistant, you would think I would know better. My low-grade fever returned as the Motrin wore out. Monday morning, I went to the medical office I work at and was swabbed for the flu. Yep: I was Type B positive. I also have a sinus infection, so I was prescribed Omnicef. Today, I still have a lot of nasal congestion, hoarseness, coughing, but I feel "slightly" better. I was told to stay out of work for a week, but we'll see how that goes.

Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?