Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: raider1222, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I have a severe headache since this morning, and it keeps getting worse. When I try to cough my head above my ears is in severe pain. I also have chills, body aches, loss of appetite, frequent urination. I do not and have not had a fever.

Comment from: Brena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

On Wednesday night I had a mild cough, sore throat and a stuffy nose. I thought it was my allergies or a mild cold. At work the next day I was tired, not feeling myself, a little more cough, sore throat, stuffy nose and not hungry. In the night I was worse. When I woke up Friday I had a fever of 101, chills, tiredness, bad throat, constant coughing, dizziness and headache. Today is Saturday and fever over 101 continues, symptoms continue. I take Motrin and this helps some with fever. I bought Sucrets to help with my sore throat. The cough is driving me crazy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had the flu and pneumonia shot on a Monday. Eight hours later I felt so sick. I started shaking uncontrollably for a couple of hours, felt weak and nauseous, had muscle and joint pain, fevers, headache and neck pain along with very sore arm at the vaccination site. I couldn't get out of bed for 2 days. I had no energy and no appetite. Now, 4 days later I am 95% back to normal, thank goodness.

Comment from: dookfnp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My son came home from college with flu symptoms of fever, aches, chills, no appetite, sore throat and deep dry cough. He was sick for a total of seven days. Poor guy even passed out one night when he went to the bathroom. He was dehydrated, even though he was drinking a lot. My youngest daughter and I both started getting sick about four days after he went back to college. We both had the flu shot! Anyway, this couldn't be anything else. We had aches; high fevers (102 to 104 degrees); sore throats; deep, dry coughs; no appetites, and just feeling absolutely miserable. I still say to get your flu shot though! This has lasted about six to seven days.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am a 48-year-old female. I was diagnosed with Type B influenza yesterday. I received the flu shot in November of this year. I also had Type B influenza in February of this year. On Friday, Dec. 5, 2008, I started with what I thought was a cold or allergy symptoms: nasal congestion, slight sore throat, and some coughing. I went to my husband's Christmas party and probably infected several people unknowingly. Saturday morning, I felt really bad. I had body aches, a low-grade fever of 100, a sore throat, coughs, facial pain, slight nausea, and no appetite. I stayed in bed all day. Sunday morning, I was determined to go to church, so I took some Sinus Tylenol and Motrin and went. Considering I am a medical assistant, you would think I would know better. My low-grade fever returned as the Motrin wore out. Monday morning, I went to the medical office I work at and was swabbed for the flu. Yep: I was Type B positive. I also have a sinus infection, so I was prescribed Omnicef. Today, I still have a lot of nasal congestion, hoarseness, coughing, but I feel "slightly" better. I was told to stay out of work for a week, but we'll see how that goes.

Comment from: mbullitt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I began coming down with the flu last Saturday afternoon. It started with achiness, headache, and fatigue. I took an Epsom salt bath and went to bed early. The next morning, I felt cold and both mentally and physically "slow." I took another bath and tried to go about my day, but in church while everyone else appeared comfortable in shirtsleeves, I was shivering in an overcoat. I went home, took yet another hot bath, and went to bed. I've experienced queasiness verging on nausea (but no vomiting), especially at the prospect of eating; some light-headedness and dizziness when I've tried to bend over or move about; I had been having difficult bowel movements on Friday and Saturday (unusual for me), and even my urination was difficult. It felt as if all my "pipes" were reduced in diameter, and the flow was restricted. By Monday, all my bowel movements had changed to diarrhea and occasional soft blooms of bright color -- especially beet red. My energy by Wednesday had begun to return, and I was able to do some dishes and attend to some business mid-day, but by evening, I was back home in bed with my hot water bottle on my belly. I've continued to wake every two hours (at minimum) during the night to use the bathroom, but the flow no longer seems restricted. It's just the liquid diarrhea though. I'm eating only small amounts of protein, whole grains, fruit, and vegetables, plenty of water, hot light-colored tea, and chicken broth. I have not had any respiratory symptoms, possibly because I've cut out all sugar, refined carbs, flour, alcohol, and caffeine from my diet? At this point (Thursday), I'm still home, taking it easy, feeling mostly myself, except for the occasional need to use the bathroom from the diarrhea. My appetite was stronger this morning, and I didn't feel the need to force myself to eat my breakfast. I actually enjoyed the taste of goat cheese and a soft boiled egg. I feel hopeful the end is in sight.

Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?