Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: CM, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat, which I thought wasn't justified as I had been wrapping up warm when outside, etc. I went about my day as normal indoors. Then in the early afternoon, whilst in my room I got hit by this extreme tiredness that I've never experienced before. My body ached all over, particularly my neck, shoulders, arms, hips, thighs and hands. Then there was the constant, piercing headache that didn't go away for over 5 hours. This led to me getting a fever, sweating and yet at the same time getting chills and shivering. I wasn't coughing at all but had a bit of a runny nose, nausea and burning eyes. I was in bed at 4pm and had no energy whatsoever and couldn't get up until over 6 hours later when I needed to use the toilet. Every time I tried moving a tiny bit my whole body would shiver and I'd lose the energy again. Also, my eyes were much more sensitive to light. My mum said they were red. As someone who is usually active and productive in the day this was very extreme for me and it made me quite emotional. It's day two today and I've improved massively. Whilst bed bound yesterday my mum gave me two hot lemon and ginger/honey teas and made me take two day and night Nurofen cold and flu tablets. The Nurofen eased the head a little and very slowly. Today I haven't had much of a headache. I'm feel quite spaced out and tired but I can move around much more. I was feeling very sore this morning, especially around my chest and neck area but a very hot bath helped a lot. I had two tablets and another lemon and ginger tea but I've spent most of my time in bed to recover. The only thing left is a sore throat, lack of energy and the spacey-ness. I think I'll be able to make it through work tomorrow although I'm concerned about being contagious and being outside could make it worse, but I seem to be recover much faster than most people!

Comment from: Cnoelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I had fever 102 for 4 days, severe congestion, awful headaches that lasted 7 days, cough, and extreme fatigue. I also developed a secondary sinus infection about 7 days in and just finished a Z-Pak. It's now been 13 days and I still have lingering cough, a little congestion, and unusual fatigue which is the hardest thing I'm dealing with. This is the sickest I've been in my adult life; when will this flu end!

Comment from: magical3m, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I have nausea and the most severe headache I have ever had. No amount of painkillers were able to stop the pain. I have aching pain in my calves and am weak and tired. I am really feeling sick with this flu!

Comment from: mabel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

It is August 4, 2014. My husband exhibited flu symptoms over a week ago. Last Wednesday I started having an upset stomach, this was off and on for three days. Saturday morning I awoke with a severe sore throat, fever, leg and arm pain, extreme fatigue, and a deep mucous-filled cough. I have never had anything like this before in my life! By noon I was unable to move much and lay in bed. I am a middle aged female. On Sunday, I felt some relief, thanks goodness! I do not know what type of flu this is, but it was the worst thing I have ever had. I hope this gets the word out to the general public that a severe flu is going around.

Comment from: emcnyc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had fatigue on day one. Days two and three I had terrible headache, fever over 103 and sinus pain; days three and four, low grade fever. Cough developed and continued with sinus congestion. I have extreme fatigue, cough and congestion and I am now into week three. My husband had the flu first and he got the flu shot this year.

Comment from: TootiesMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had the flu 3 weeks ago. It took me almost two weeks to get back to work but since then every afternoon I start getting a head ache muscle aches and a fever of 99.3 to 99.8. I went back to the doctor. She did another flu test, a strep test and pricked my finger. My left side lymph gland is swollen and sore also. My white cell count was a little elevated so she gave me a Z Pack. It did nothing. I don"t know what to do now. Go back to the doctor, I guess.

Comment from: BrianK40, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I began having symptoms a week and a half ago, typical flu. My daughter and wife got it 2 days later. My cough has subsided and my nose runs a little but I basically have no appetite, and it is 13 days later since it started. I felt a little better than I have, last night, and ate pizza, breadsticks and cinnamon bread. This morning I was feeling fine but ever since I got sick I have had this enormous feeling (anxiety) of something seriously wrong and this morning I had a severe case of diarrhea (A watery blow out). I went to the doctor just to get checked out yesterday and he told me that my body needed adjusting after the flu (seasonal).

Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?
Flu (Influenza) - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies and/or over-the-counter treatments have helped your flu symptoms?