Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: Cnoelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I had fever 102 for 4 days, severe congestion, awful headaches that lasted 7 days, cough, and extreme fatigue. I also developed a secondary sinus infection about 7 days in and just finished a Z-Pak. It's now been 13 days and I still have lingering cough, a little congestion, and unusual fatigue which is the hardest thing I'm dealing with. This is the sickest I've been in my adult life; when will this flu end!

Comment from: magical3m, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I have nausea and the most severe headache I have ever had. No amount of painkillers were able to stop the pain. I have aching pain in my calves and am weak and tired. I am really feeling sick with this flu!

Comment from: mabel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

It is August 4, 2014. My husband exhibited flu symptoms over a week ago. Last Wednesday I started having an upset stomach, this was off and on for three days. Saturday morning I awoke with a severe sore throat, fever, leg and arm pain, extreme fatigue, and a deep mucous-filled cough. I have never had anything like this before in my life! By noon I was unable to move much and lay in bed. I am a middle aged female. On Sunday, I felt some relief, thanks goodness! I do not know what type of flu this is, but it was the worst thing I have ever had. I hope this gets the word out to the general public that a severe flu is going around.

Comment from: emcnyc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had fatigue on day one. Days two and three I had terrible headache, fever over 103 and sinus pain; days three and four, low grade fever. Cough developed and continued with sinus congestion. I have extreme fatigue, cough and congestion and I am now into week three. My husband had the flu first and he got the flu shot this year.

Comment from: TootiesMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had the flu 3 weeks ago. It took me almost two weeks to get back to work but since then every afternoon I start getting a head ache muscle aches and a fever of 99.3 to 99.8. I went back to the doctor. She did another flu test, a strep test and pricked my finger. My left side lymph gland is swollen and sore also. My white cell count was a little elevated so she gave me a Z Pack. It did nothing. I don"t know what to do now. Go back to the doctor, I guess.

Comment from: BrianK40, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I began having symptoms a week and a half ago, typical flu. My daughter and wife got it 2 days later. My cough has subsided and my nose runs a little but I basically have no appetite, and it is 13 days later since it started. I felt a little better than I have, last night, and ate pizza, breadsticks and cinnamon bread. This morning I was feeling fine but ever since I got sick I have had this enormous feeling (anxiety) of something seriously wrong and this morning I had a severe case of diarrhea (A watery blow out). I went to the doctor just to get checked out yesterday and he told me that my body needed adjusting after the flu (seasonal).

Comment from: Patti, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I started last Thursday night with sharp pains through my body, very high fever and slight nausea. It's now the following Tuesday and I'm hurting in my lower intestines, very sore. I have constipation and my back aches pretty bad. I am still running a slight fever but only when I exert myself. I'm not used to being this sick. I'm 70 and have had the flu just twice in my life, both times I was young. I never had a flu shot but maybe it's time!

Comment from: JamesHHH, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I first started a week ago with a sore throat and now a week later I have a horrible sinus problem along with aching teeth and horrible joint pain. I can't sleep because of this flu and I just want a good night's sleep! My nose has been rubbed dry because of the tissues and each time I blow my nose my head gets even more pressurized! I have found if your nose hurts really bad, to put some ice on it to numb it. It helped me.

Flu (Influenza) - Side Effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?
Flu (Influenza) - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies and/or over-the-counter treatments have helped your flu symptoms?