Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Question:Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: mayang_203, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I started out with a little bit of dizziness and aching bones. The later the day got, the more blurry my eyesight got, and the more I felt as if I needed to lie down. By day two, I could not get up because of being so dizzy. I had a tremendous headache, a fever, and no appetite whatsoever. My flu ended with a burning, sore throat.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My flu started with an internal chill that lasted for a couple of hours, and going to bed fully dressed did not ease the shaking. I developed a few aches and general lethargy. The worst symptom is/was the sore throat. It was burning and swollen to the point of not being able to swallow. I tried honey (straight off the spoon), warm honey/lemon drink, throat lozenges, gargling aspirin, milk. I only found relief with ice-cream. After a visit to a doctor two days ago, things are improving with antibiotics, especially for the snotty nose and cough. The sore throat is still here, and I'm still finding relief with ice cream. I have not been at work for a week, and probably won't be for another few days at least.

Comment from: Loraine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I just had my annual flu shot. Within half an hour I had severe cramps in my thigh and I can still barely walk. I feel very tired and my arm is sore. I guess it's better than having the flu, as I have asthma. I am 59 and have not had a bad reaction in eight years. I do hope I can walk to work tomorrow.

Comment from: sick in Mich., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

This started as swollen glands in my neck, in the morning. 6 p.m. same day, gastrointestinal pain, 7:30 p.m. started vomiting and having diarrhea. Laid down at 8:30 p.m., 10:30 p.m. more vomiting and diarrhea, very violent. 12:30 a.m. more vomiting and dry heaves and more diarrhea. Slept until 6 a.m. woke up with severe headache. I go back to bed. I also, have been freezing since yesterday evening. Took hot bath, tried to eat some yogurt, diarrhea again. No vomiting today so far. I am still cold, and I still have a headache.

Comment from: pixiedust, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Symptoms of extreme lethargy, muscle aches, especially in joints, and chills started 5 days ago. Headache, coughing and sneezing followed a few days afterward along with diarrhea and nausea. I'm drinking lots of fluids but have very little appetite. I'm also taking aspirin and hot lemon drink and hot black and green teas.

Comment from: dviss29, Female (Patient) Published: September 18

It started with really liquidy diarrhea. Then my stomach has felt queasy all day. I was afraid to eat, became sick, and now I have body aches, and I feel tired.

Comment from: Lynlen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have the flu — this is the fifth day since onset. I have a fever and extreme fatigue. I have no problem breathing or filling my lungs without pain, but after a sleepless night of severe coughing up mucus, my rib cage area is extremely sore. It hurts to cough.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have been having intermittent nausea throughout the day for about a week with my flu. I feel tired and not real clear in my head after I have been up for a while. I have a pain in my stomach at times, headache/congestion, a slight runny nose, and most consistently, a sore throat.

Comment from: priceless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have type A flu confirmed by lab test. I am on day 8 and still really sick. Body aches, fever on and off, extreme fatigue.

Flu (Influenza) - Side effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?