Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Question:Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: eaf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I work in a pediatric clinic and received my flu shot. On Friday, about three weeks after the shot, I started to get a sore throat that lasted two days. It was mostly on the top of my mouth where it hurt. It was an unusual sore throat. I thought I may have had strep throat. I never had it before, so I wasn't sure what it felt like. I worked all weekend and just felt “blah.” My nose was running, and I felt more tired than usual. Then I started getting this hacky, barky, dry cough. I really felt like maybe I had pneumonia. My eyes got glassy feeling, and I was weaker than weak. I went to work on Monday. By the end of the night, I could hardly hold up my head to drive home. My normal body temperature is around 97. My temperature was about 99.9. That is high for me. I went to bed after taking some p.m. cold medicine. I woke up with severe stomach cramps and nausea. I couldn't go to the bathroom, but the pain was horrible, and I was on the verge of vomiting. I tool a Pepto Bismol tablet and finally got to sleep. I was yawning a lot, which was unusual. I went through half a box of tissues throughout the night. I still had the cough too. I had no appetite at all. I did drink flavored water. Today is day five since the onset of my flu. I am feeling a bit better and have eaten some. I still have nasal congestion, aches, fatigue and a cough.

Comment from: PlanoSusie R.N., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am an R.N., and I did not get the flu shot! Of course, I got the flu! Sunday morning I felt exhausted, but I went on to church. I had aching in my back, legs, and arms, which I thought was from lifting and cooking for Turkey Day. Then I had diarrhea on Monday, followed by nausea. I have been home now for six days. I have not slept uninterrupted due to an awful sore throat. Then it moved to my sinuses, and now I have a slight dry cough. I am up writing this feeling that maybe, just maybe, I am going to live! I lived on homemade soup, hot teas, and diet cokes. I missed five days of work and may still be out on Monday! To go out and contaminate others is the cruelest thing one can do: Stay home!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

High fever, throwing up, body aches, sore throat and extreme tiredness were the symptoms I encountered when I had the flu.

Comment from: BDM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My flu started with a sore throat that went into my chest. I thought I was getting bronchitis at first, but then the aching bones came. I then developed a cough, which has made by ribs ache and hurts every time I cough. This has made me lose my voice. I also am suffering from very violent sneezing, which has not abated. I am in my sixth day of it now, and I still feel woozy, although my cough is easing slightly. I am very sensitive to antibiotics; in fact, I have yet to try one that doesn't make me even more ill.

Comment from: kgeebeck, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I woke Saturday morning with cold sores covering my top lip. It was followed by body aches and a dry cough. It is now Monday, and the cough has subsided, but I'm still achy. When I do cough, my chest is very sore from all the coughing I did yesterday. So far, I've treated the symptoms with over-the-counter medications.

Comment from: R.M Taunton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I thought that over the past 60 years that I had experienced the flu. I now know that to be untrue. It started with a silly cough, quickly spreading to the worst sore throat that I have ever had. Within just a few hours, I was a shivering wreck. All of this was followed by an attack of the runs. Sleep was impossible because of a constant nagging cough and the sore throat. I am now into day four. The cough has slightly relented, although when I do cough, it reminds me of the sore ribs and back that I now have. I can now see how the elderly and infirmed have to suffer. I can honestly say that there have been one or two occasions over the past four days when I really questioned whether I would make it. The sore throat was one of the worst experiences of my life. I am writing this while I am feeling a little better, but I know that in just a short while it can all come flooding back. And to think that this is just a flu bug!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Ten days after I took the flu shot, I began to feel cold and tired. After freezing all night, I developed a headache and tenderness in the back of my head. Then the neck and shoulder burning, and pain in my joints began. It scared me enough to go to my doctor who confirmed influenza type A by nasal swab. The joint pain, headache, lethargy and chills have persisted for four days so far. I have no respiratory symptoms and mild nausea.

Comment from: Paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My influenza symptoms were a high fever (102.6 degrees), extreme fatigue, aches in my knees and joints, and a stuffy head and headache. After three days of this, I went to the doctor. He gave me one shot and some antibiotics. After that I had one day of rest, and then back to work.

Flu (Influenza) - Side effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?