Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Question:Please describe your flu symptoms.

Comment from: Really Got Sick , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I just got over the flu. It started with a headache and not feeling well. The next day, I had a stuffy nose with sinus congestion and drip. The day after that, I was so thirsty. I kept drinking and drinking and couldn't figure out what was going on. Then, it moved to my throat. My throat was so sore, all I could get down was ice cream. Then, the body aches came. My bones hurt clear down into my legs. I got so sick that I couldn't get up for three days. I wondered if I was going to succumb to this. It was difficult to breathe. I'd wake up and then sort of try and sit up. I was running a fever of 102. I have not been this sick since the 80s. It took three days before I could even get up. It was difficult to even walk to the bathroom or kitchen. Now it is in my bronchial area. I still have the cough, which hurts when I cough. This was for a week. This one scared me. That is why I am writing about it here. I think now that I will consider getting the flu shot. I have never taken the shot before.

Comment from: Ron, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

My fly symptoms are shortness of breath, fatigue, fever, loss of appetite and chills.

Comment from: Polly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have aching muscles, sneezing, cold and hot feelings, lack of appetite and muscle weakness.

Comment from: Kyle, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

A couple weeks ago the doctor said I had bronchitis and sinusitis. He gave me amoxicillin for it and it seemed like it went away but it started up again on vacation. I've been throwing up a lot and coughing bad too. I'm not sure if the drainage went to my stomach but its making me sometimes not want to eat, and when I do I sometimes feel like I need to throw up. I've lost weight and sometimes when I'm full my stomach growls like I need to eat. I get the chills sometimes and get hot too. I also have acid reflex. My stomach feels like it tightened up and my ribs feel bruised. I was wondering if maybe I got something else too? And the biggest concern is the eating problem?

Comment from: surf181, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

I experienced fatigue, no drive, chills, a hacking cough, but mainly fatigue. This is the fifth day and I still need to go lay down frequently, but I do feel like I have passed the half-way point. Get your flu shots. This is the first year I skipped. Thankfully I can eat and drink okay. My dogs like the rest, but I'd rather be working.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am lying here on my bed in brutal pain writing this from my Blackberry. It started out last week (Tuesday) as a sudden sore throat, which was very painful, that lasted three days. Then, I thought I was fine, but I felt heavy pressure in my head and congestion. My nose was running, and I was hot and cold. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said I was having sinus problems. So he gave me the Z-pack. That night, I woke up at 5 a.m. with a horrific stomach pain and nausea. I began vomiting and having diarrhea all morning until about noon. Suddenly, my back, legs, and arms started throbbing! They still are. What started as sinus infection turned into the flu. I can barely move at all! I can't bear to look at food!

Comment from: Architect, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

My flu started with my lower back feeling sore. I thought it was related to my home renovation strain. This has now lasted five or six days. I feel OK in the morning. I can walk and do easy things, and then it's straight to bed, and I sleep the rest of the day and night. It does not seem to be improving. Even sitting is uncomfortable. I have a low fever and my eyes are sore.

Comment from: Jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I'm getting over the flu. It started last Wednesday with sneezing and a runny nose. I took a hot bath after shivering, but I still had goosebumps. I went straight to bed with my nightshirt on and was sweating. I could feel it running off my skin. The next day, I couldn't get out of bed. I couldn't even sit up. I was really thirsty and drank through a straw for some strange reason. Well, Saturday morning, I started my period, which didn't help because I'm always low on energy at this time of the month. This time, I just about fell into the bath. I could hardly wash my hair, but I did get a clean nightshirt on and crawled straight into bed. My hubby brought me some Lemsips, and my kids helped out with the other household chores. I got up on Sunday and managed a few hours in the chair watching TV but felt I needed to lie down as I was breathless and could hardly speak. Monday, I got up and felt better. I haven't eaten much, a little cereal and lots of drinks. Every day now I feel a little better.

Comment from: zbambi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My flu symptoms started Thanksgiving Day and continued for 11 days. In addition to the fever, chills, sore throat, and nausea, my skin felt tender to the touch on my arms and back. My doctor started me on Levaquin, and I believe it helped somewhat. My son had the flu too. His symptoms were much like mine. I still can not smell or taste well, just sweet or salty. I can't remember the last time I was this sick.

Flu (Influenza) - Side effects Question: Did you experience any side effects with the flu vaccine?