Patient Comments: Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - Treatments

What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have you received for your inflammatory bowel disease?

Comment from: Ames, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had 6 months of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) symptoms following a fibromyalgia diagnosis. All tests were done. I was told I had inflammation in my stomach. I bought the book, 'Breaking the vicious cycle,' and started eating gluten free, lactose free and sugar free. I also eliminated processed foods and followed the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) in the book. My IBS symptoms went away and I continued to eat the SCD diet for 14 months. I feel great and I continue to limit gluten, sugar and lactose. I've told many people about the book/diet. It really saved me.

Comment from: Lonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have suffered for years with bouts of raging diarrhea. I was finally diagnosed with collagenous colitis. Drugs were steroids, i.e., Entocort, then Lialda was added. After one year on Lialda I was hospitalized with a condition later diagnosed as 'drug induced lupus'. I am currently taking no drugs and limited GMOs and gluten (though I don't test positive for gluten intolerance).

Comment from: linda77, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 1986 and had the diseased portion removed by surgery. My Crohn's disease has remained in remission. I recently started having very bad gas. Recently, I went for a colonoscopy and no signs of the disease but my small bowel has narrowed somewhat and the diagnosis by the surgeon was to leave it alone. The bad gas is limiting my activity. If I am going out I have to not eat until I get back or have "Ensure" or take a laxative to make sure my bowel is empty. I am frustrated with this problem. I think my next move will see my gastroenterologist in Vancouver, B.C.

Comment from: Twinkles, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have been given Metronidazole 3 times a day. Have been taking it 4 days. I still have diarrhea. Taking meds for that too.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Experience Question: Please describe the inflammatory bowel disease you suffer from.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Fistulas Question: Were you diagnosed with fistulas? Please describe your symptoms.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Colon Cancer Question: If you have IBD, what are your concerns about developing colon cancer?
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Complications Question: What are the complications you've experienced with IBD? How have these been treated?