Patient Comments: Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Experience

Please describe the inflammatory bowel disease you suffer from.

Comment from: M79, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I cannot move my bowels. I go very little; for over 3 months. I have a doctor appointment on Monday.

Comment from: loving daughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

I have just read several posting's and I can relate to several in the care my mother is receiving (or lack there of). She has been sick for almost three years and lost over 25 lbs. The doctors have treated her with anti-depressants and fiber. The symptons persit with swelling after the second meal of the day to the point of vomiting. She is mal-nourished and now on a liquid diet. We are pushing with the current GI doctor for some answers after several Barium x-rays and CAT scans we do not have any.

Comment from: drleac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I am a sufferer of Crohns Disease and more recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Double Whammy! My pain in my lower right quadrant of my stomach was so intense; I was literally bending in half. The frequency of diarrhea is still a consistent problem. (Appx. 7-10 times a day) Still losing weight; approx. 18-19 lbs. so far in almost 2 months. I was also told that I also have narrowing of small intestine, so therefore; I have been taken off any fiber, any fruit, with the exception of bananas and any skinned fruit in which skin has to be removed, and all vegetables except those are to be considered to be root vegetables, which to the best of my knowledge consists of potato, (white and sweet), beets, carrots, parsnips, and most recently discovered that onions are root vegetables. My Dr. has me on Entocort, Flagyl, and was just told to order VSL#3(Probiotics), consisting of live bacteria and germs. I have not yet started that method yet. I will be starting VSL#3 this coming week. I do not know if this information will be helpful to any of the other sufferers out there. All I know is that I am still suffering, though not quite as intense, but nonetheless, still suffering. I truly hope that something will soon help.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I developed an anal fistula that began about 4-5 inches above the anus and exited and drained through an opening in my buttocks. It would not heal and after about 2 years of dealing with this a colon rectal specialist suggested a series of surgeries (fistulotomies) to cure this, but probably would have left me incontinent of stool. A colon rectal specialist in Houston,TX (associated with a training program for colon rectal specialists) was able to cure this condition with a simple surgery that left me with full control of my sphincter muscle. A flap of intestinal wall was sewn over the hole in the rectum and it healed and I have no recurrent problems. So if you are faced with this type of problem, do not settle for numerous fistulotomies. Look further.

Comment from: Gottagogogo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had a bloating feeling with bouts of constipation and loose stool for about the last two weeks and have been taking some supplements for some time along with a stool softener. It just seems as if it came upon me suddenly. Normally, I would contribute this to something I ate, but this just won't go away. I am drinking eight to 10 glasses of distilled water a day and taking two tsp of Benefiber each evening with a glass or two of water. It is really wearing me out, and I'm making about six to10 visits to the bathroom each day. Mostly I pass loose brown stool. I also pass lots of gas during the day and have lots of belching too.

Comment from: flem, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I've had lower pain for more than four months . Even after a bowel movement, it still feels like I have to use the washroom. I've had had x-rays, ultrasounds, etc. They all say nothing is wrong. Hmm

Comment from: m109sito20002yahoo.c, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

It hurts my lower back when I walk on stairs and it goes to the front. I feel better when I wrap my stomach with a bandage.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have you received for your inflammatory bowel disease?
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Fistulas Question: Were you diagnosed with fistulas? Please describe your symptoms.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Colon Cancer Question: If you have IBD, what are your concerns about developing colon cancer?
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Complications Question: What are the complications you've experienced with IBD? How have these been treated?