Patient Comments: Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Experience

Please describe the inflammatory bowel disease you suffer from.

Comment from: loving daughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

I have just read several posting's and I can relate to several in the care my mother is receiving (or lack there of). She has been sick for almost three years and lost over 25 lbs. The doctors have treated her with anti-depressants and fiber. The symptons persit with swelling after the second meal of the day to the point of vomiting. She is mal-nourished and now on a liquid diet. We are pushing with the current GI doctor for some answers after several Barium x-rays and CAT scans we do not have any.

Comment from: drleac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I am a sufferer of Crohns Disease and more recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Double Whammy! My pain in my lower right quadrant of my stomach was so intense; I was literally bending in half. The frequency of diarrhea is still a consistent problem. (Appx. 7-10 times a day) Still losing weight; approx. 18-19 lbs. so far in almost 2 months. I was also told that I also have narrowing of small intestine, so therefore; I have been taken off any fiber, any fruit, with the exception of bananas and any skinned fruit in which skin has to be removed, and all vegetables except those are to be considered to be root vegetables, which to the best of my knowledge consists of potato, (white and sweet), beets, carrots, parsnips, and most recently discovered that onions are root vegetables. My Dr. has me on Entocort, Flagyl, and was just told to order VSL#3(Probiotics), consisting of live bacteria and germs. I have not yet started that method yet. I will be starting VSL#3 this coming week. I do not know if this information will be helpful to any of the other sufferers out there. All I know is that I am still suffering, though not quite as intense, but nonetheless, still suffering. I truly hope that something will soon help.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I developed an anal fistula that began about 4-5 inches above the anus and exited and drained through an opening in my buttocks. It would not heal and after about 2 years of dealing with this a colon rectal specialist suggested a series of surgeries (fistulotomies) to cure this, but probably would have left me incontinent of stool. A colon rectal specialist in Houston,TX (associated with a training program for colon rectal specialists) was able to cure this condition with a simple surgery that left me with full control of my sphincter muscle. A flap of intestinal wall was sewn over the hole in the rectum and it healed and I have no recurrent problems. So if you are faced with this type of problem, do not settle for numerous fistulotomies. Look further.

Comment from: Gottagogogo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had a bloating feeling with bouts of constipation and loose stool for about the last two weeks and have been taking some supplements for some time along with a stool softener. It just seems as if it came upon me suddenly. Normally, I would contribute this to something I ate, but this just won't go away. I am drinking eight to 10 glasses of distilled water a day and taking two tsp of Benefiber each evening with a glass or two of water. It is really wearing me out, and I'm making about six to10 visits to the bathroom each day. Mostly I pass loose brown stool. I also pass lots of gas during the day and have lots of belching too.

Comment from: sassy6668, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 13

Eight weeks ago, my 15-year-old son came home from a party having to desperately go to the bathroom. For the next two weeks, he was going to the bathroom constantly with some vomiting. He had pains in his stomach as well. He had a CAT scan to check his appendix (it wasn't his appendix) and blood work. It was not determined what was wrong. He felt OK for the next few weeks, and then it started up again. He has since had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. They took biopsies and more blood and urine tests and stool tests. Everything came out negative. The GI doctor did say that he read the CAT scan and thought there was some inflammation in the small intestine; however, it came out negative for Crohn's disease. There was a little bit of blood in the urine and also the stool. He is now scheduled for a barium X-ray. He has lost about 10 pounds. He is feeling a little better and is able to eat; however, he still has pain in the lower left side of his stomach, especially after he eats. The doctor is now asking me if he has been depressed or doesn't want to go to school, and I get the feeling that they think he might be exaggerating. My son has missed a lot of school because of this and is now very upset because he has a lot of work to make up. He is in pain and very frustrated because the doctor cannot find out what is wrong.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have you received for your inflammatory bowel disease?
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Fistulas Question: Were you diagnosed with fistulas? Please describe your symptoms.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Colon Cancer Question: If you have IBD, what are your concerns about developing colon cancer?
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Complications Question: What are the complications you've experienced with IBD? How have these been treated?