Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?

Comment from: Kristibaby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I was extremely fatigue. I could even stand or sit up to take a shower. I was very very weak and always tired and night sweats. It was the worst feelings I have ever felt. I knew something was wrong. It took me almost a month to get back to normal. The doctor prescribed iron pills to produce more cells. I was about 19 at the time when it happened. I believe I got mono from drinking off my girlfriend's cup who had mono. That's how I knew I had it because she said she just was getting over mono. Ever since I am always really tired and weak.

Comment from: twoblackkatz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am 58 and was diagnosed with mono almost a month ago, I was tired and had headaches for about a month before finally going in for blood work. Now my muscles are burning and I am having muscle spasms. My 25 year old daughter has it now and has a bad case of pharyngitis and ear infections, she's much sicker than me, I feel so bad she's so miserable. Thought I was over it and over did it a couple of days and feel sick again so make sure you get lots of rest and don't rush it.

Comment from: justarose123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I was diagnosed with it at the age of 13 I had a temperature of 106. When I was rushed to the hospital my family doctor showed up and diagnosed me with Mono. My symptoms were severe I had a enlarged spleen and liver, sore throat and fatigue. My Doctor put me on antibiotics and I healed. I recently showed high positive for a previous infection in my blood work for other health conditions.

Comment from: Melissa, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I'm 15 and I have been diagnosed with mono. My left side of my body is killing me right now. Headaches, sore throat, inflammed lymph nodes, and ear aches too. The doctor put me on an antibiotic so my lymph nodes will swell down and my spleen will stay smaller. It's also to make sure I don't get strep. I really hope I get better soon.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

My husband had mono years ago and was treated with high doses of vitamin C (500 to 1,000 mg every two hours).

Comment from: AtALoss, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Ten days on prednisone, hydrocodone-acetaminophen syrup (was instructed a SIP whenever needed; nasty stuff), promethazine (for nausea) which I switch daily with Benadryl (Doctor's orders), and Zantac. Cold, frozen yogurt helps the pain in throat and ice chips help the swelling go down. Do not drink overly hot liquids! Stick with luke warm, or cold, to soothe the throat.

Comment from: britbrat, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was in sixth grade when diagnosed with mononucleosis and have never been the same since. I am still tired all the time and have less energy as a result. I was required to quit the last part of the soccer season and required to rest. It has been three years since then. I contacted it from drinking off a bunch of different friends' cups.

Comment from: mountaingal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

This is so odd. I have viral mom and I had no symptoms at all except fatigue. I had blood tests run and I was off the charts with the numbers. I had serious mono. I'm still very tired. I was treatment with an antiviral drug and I will go back for more tests in two weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my numbers are down. My advice: Whenever you are off, get a good physician and have your blood tested.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms Question: For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes Question: Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.