Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?

Comment from: Joanna, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 22

I started feeling under the weather for 2 days prior to full break out of mononucleosis. I still went to work and found that I was able to control my symptoms by taking painkillers like Tylenol every 4 hours. On the second day, I was feeling mildly fatigued and just again slightly under the weather. After work I again took 2 Tylenol, but by 8 pm I started experiencing the worst chills and started getting a fever. I went to bed and woke up to vomiting in the early hours. No sore throat though. I developed severe fatigue, so much so that I could not even sit up to drink. After the 4th day of this I went to the doctor. He checked me for flu and said that it was most likely the flu. After 8 days I went back to the doctor. The flu test was negative, so he ran a series of blood tests and found that I had an acute infection of infectious mononucleosis. My abdomen was very tender and I had an enlarged spleen, a low neutrophil count, a very high lymphocyte count and very high liver enzymes. This is my 3rd week and I am still running a low grade fever along with the most debilitating fatigue that never seems to abate. Today is the start of my 4th week and is the first day where I have not had a fever. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of it. Never in my life have I felt so ill, not since strep throat. This is not a disease that adults should get. Symptoms are much worse for adults.

Comment from: bogec, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had a hysterectomy, at which time my bladder was cut and the surgeon did not catch it. Now I am awaiting surgery to repair and have been wearing diapers that only hold for a maximum hour and a half. At my last visit I requested a Foley catheter as a means of less leakage until surgery. My decision was based on the lack of sleep I was getting, if I sleep more than 2 hours the diaper leaks and then I and my bedding are drenched, and once you have to get up and switch out sheets and bed liners you are fully awake and have a hard time going back to sleep! I now wake up automatically after 2 hours, and I am exhausted! I discussed it with the urologist and although in my case there is still leakage until surgery, I got 4 hours sleep! It is not something I want to live with permanently but am glad to have some relief.

Comment from: Macy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have been awfully sick for about 6 days now. A day after I felt sick I went to emergency room because I thought I had strep. I went and they said I had strep, gave me steroids, antibiotic and a pain killer. As I kept taking those nothing got better. In fact they started to get worse, so today I went back and after needle after needle to CAT scans and sitting on the hospital bed with machines in me they finally tested me for mononucleosis and I was positive. So now they took me off everything but steroids because mono is a virus and antibiotics don't help. I'm hoping this won't get too much worse because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. My tonsils and glands are swollen to where I can barely breathe, and I just now can start to swallow. I haven't slept very much and I'm so tired. I never thought mono was real until today and yeah well, story of my life.

Comment from: natural medicine, Female (Caregiver) Published: July 24

My friend's daughter was so sick with mononucleosis told she was not well enough to write her exams in June. She had already been bedridden for almost 8 weeks and back and forth to the doctor with many medicines. Her daughter took 2 pouches of Immunocal starting on Thursday and by Monday morning she was able to go to school and write her exams... no more pain, or swollen spleen. Immunocal provides the natural building blocks for the body to produce glutathione which is necessary in every cell - without it we die.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms Question: For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes Question: Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.