Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?

Comment from: bogec, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had a hysterectomy, at which time my bladder was cut and the surgeon did not catch it. Now I am awaiting surgery to repair and have been wearing diapers that only hold for a maximum hour and a half. At my last visit I requested a Foley catheter as a means of less leakage until surgery. My decision was based on the lack of sleep I was getting, if I sleep more than 2 hours the diaper leaks and then I and my bedding are drenched, and once you have to get up and switch out sheets and bed liners you are fully awake and have a hard time going back to sleep! I now wake up automatically after 2 hours, and I am exhausted! I discussed it with the urologist and although in my case there is still leakage until surgery, I got 4 hours sleep! It is not something I want to live with permanently but am glad to have some relief.

Comment from: Macy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have been awfully sick for about 6 days now. A day after I felt sick I went to emergency room because I thought I had strep. I went and they said I had strep, gave me steroids, antibiotic and a pain killer. As I kept taking those nothing got better. In fact they started to get worse, so today I went back and after needle after needle to CAT scans and sitting on the hospital bed with machines in me they finally tested me for mononucleosis and I was positive. So now they took me off everything but steroids because mono is a virus and antibiotics don't help. I'm hoping this won't get too much worse because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. My tonsils and glands are swollen to where I can barely breathe, and I just now can start to swallow. I haven't slept very much and I'm so tired. I never thought mono was real until today and yeah well, story of my life.

Comment from: natural medicine, Female (Caregiver) Published: July 24

My friend's daughter was so sick with mononucleosis told she was not well enough to write her exams in June. She had already been bedridden for almost 8 weeks and back and forth to the doctor with many medicines. Her daughter took 2 pouches of Immunocal starting on Thursday and by Monday morning she was able to go to school and write her exams... no more pain, or swollen spleen. Immunocal provides the natural building blocks for the body to produce glutathione which is necessary in every cell - without it we die.

Comment from: Kristibaby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I was extremely fatigue. I could even stand or sit up to take a shower. I was very very weak and always tired and night sweats. It was the worst feelings I have ever felt. I knew something was wrong. It took me almost a month to get back to normal. The doctor prescribed iron pills to produce more cells. I was about 19 at the time when it happened. I believe I got mono from drinking off my girlfriend's cup who had mono. That's how I knew I had it because she said she just was getting over mono. Ever since I am always really tired and weak.

Comment from: twoblackkatz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am 58 and was diagnosed with mono almost a month ago, I was tired and had headaches for about a month before finally going in for blood work. Now my muscles are burning and I am having muscle spasms. My 25 year old daughter has it now and has a bad case of pharyngitis and ear infections, she's much sicker than me, I feel so bad she's so miserable. Thought I was over it and over did it a couple of days and feel sick again so make sure you get lots of rest and don't rush it.

Comment from: justarose123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I was diagnosed with it at the age of 13 I had a temperature of 106. When I was rushed to the hospital my family doctor showed up and diagnosed me with Mono. My symptoms were severe I had a enlarged spleen and liver, sore throat and fatigue. My Doctor put me on antibiotics and I healed. I recently showed high positive for a previous infection in my blood work for other health conditions.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms Question: For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes Question: Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.