Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children

Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.

Comment from: Loving Dad, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 17

My daughter is 20 and had a sore throat for a couple of days that all the sudden got really worse. She had lost interest in going out with friends and seemed to be sleeping, lying around more than usual. Her tonsils were so swollen they were almost touching. One side, for a lack of better words looked as though it burst, or a bite out of an apple. She had white patches all over. Now it looks as though it is split open. She got put on steroids to reduce the swelling which has helped. Also we got some olive leaf drops and she takes 60ml twice a day in a shot glass with raspberry tea. She is finally showing signs of getting better. You need to drink lots of liquids, rest and no physical activity (no sudden contact to spleen) with a mononucleosis infection. Try eating what you can so medications don't irritate stomach and take lots of vitamin C. It can go on for a few months, throat will get better but energy will take a long time to get back.

Comment from: Cindyb, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 27

My son was 4 years old the first time he got mononucleosis; that started with a rash all over his limbs but not on his torso. The doctors took all kinds of tests and after the fourth blood test they tested him for mono and that's what it was. Last year around this time my son was very tired not eating and he had sore arms. I took him to the doctors and once again was told he had mono. He was 16, the boy lost 15lbs and was told to take it easy for 8 weeks. Now at 17, my son is eating well but would lay on the couch after he ate and sleep. Once again I took him to the doctors and had blood work done. Today at 4PM I got the call telling me the boy has mono for the third time.

Comment from: michelleS, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was diagnosed with mono last night in the emergency room by blood test. About a week ago my upper and lower eyelids swelled up so bad I could barely open them. Three days later the symptoms began. I woke up with a fever, swollen throat, eyes still swollen, very sore stomach, exhaustion, swollen lymph nodes, and headache. Usually my colds have a worst day, then the next day I'm a lot better, so when I wasn't better by yesterday I decided to head to the emergency room. They gave me anti-inflammatory medications along with pain relievers. This is the worst sickness I've ever experienced. However I did my research and it is not as contagious as most think. The only way to pass it is by sharing saliva, however the EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) virus is in your body for the rest of your life.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms Question: For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes Question: Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?