Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes

Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?

Comment from: KatsB14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was just tested positive for mononucleosis earlier this week after suffering from what I thought were cold symptoms. I didn"t realize until the day I went to the clinic that this might be something more serious. I have a severe sore throat that makes it almost impossible to swallow anything, white patches on the back of the throat, fatigue, and lack of appetite. The only thing that I never got (or still haven"t gotten yet) is a fever. I"m pretty sure I caught it from my college professor, who still came into work sick, with a really sore throat and severe fatigue. I haven"t had a good night's sleep in about 4 days because whenever I unconsciously swallow, it hurts so much that it wakes me up, and I can"t get back to sleep. I have never had a sickness like this, and I hope that this sore throat will go away soon! I can hardly speak!

Comment from: micdob, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Approximately 5 to 6 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with 3 pulmonary embolisms. Just last week I was ill with the flu and infectious mononucleosis. The doctor said I probably came in contact with an asymptomatic carrier.

Comment from: SayWhat, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

My son who we were just told has mononucleosis is 6 years old. I have no clue how he got it, but his sister could have brought it home; or he could have got it at school. In his age group the symptoms are not as noticeable.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms Question: For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.