Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes

Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?

Comment from: rain, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 12

My grandson is 15 years old and has mononucleosis. He is a wrestler/football player and enjoys all sports. Two weeks ago, after a wrestling tournament he developed a sore throat and swollen glands in his neck. He looked like he had mumps and his sinuses were infected. I took him to the doctor to rule out strep throat. He came home and his throat hurt so bad I was giving him tea and honey all day with other stuff. When he went back to school he went to the nurse, she told him he had all the signs of mono and should not wrestle. We went back to the doctor for a mono test and it was positive. His neck went down from the ibuprofen and fluticasone propionate nasal spray, however he is now tired a lot and has a pain in his right leg, maybe because he does not take the ibuprofen anymore.

Comment from: NikiC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

When I was 13 and in high school, I took a drag of someone's cigarette before she knew she had mononucleosis, and it was the worst sickness I have ever had in my life. It took months for the tiredness to fade and my spleen to shrink to normal size. I don't think I was ever so skinny as after mono because I couldn't keep anything down for a few weeks.

Comment from: KatsB14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was just tested positive for mononucleosis earlier this week after suffering from what I thought were cold symptoms. I didn"t realize until the day I went to the clinic that this might be something more serious. I have a severe sore throat that makes it almost impossible to swallow anything, white patches on the back of the throat, fatigue, and lack of appetite. The only thing that I never got (or still haven"t gotten yet) is a fever. I"m pretty sure I caught it from my college professor, who still came into work sick, with a really sore throat and severe fatigue. I haven"t had a good night's sleep in about 4 days because whenever I unconsciously swallow, it hurts so much that it wakes me up, and I can"t get back to sleep. I have never had a sickness like this, and I hope that this sore throat will go away soon! I can hardly speak!

Comment from: micdob, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Approximately 5 to 6 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with 3 pulmonary embolisms. Just last week I was ill with the flu and infectious mononucleosis. The doctor said I probably came in contact with an asymptomatic carrier.

Comment from: SayWhat, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

My son who we were just told has mononucleosis is 6 years old. I have no clue how he got it, but his sister could have brought it home; or he could have got it at school. In his age group the symptoms are not as noticeable.

Comment from: Mazyck, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

My 6 year old was diagnosed with infectious mononucleosis a couple of weeks ago and I have no clue how he got it but he had 104.9 fever, sore throat, and no appetite, so I knew something was wrong. He took the antibiotics about 2 weeks which didn't help and ended up being admitted in the hospital for 4 days.

Comment from: jnn2632, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have never been in so much pain, and for so long went to my family doctor's office 3 times and to the emergency room once. Every doctor kept telling me the same thing, don't see anything and say you just have a cold. Nope. Finally I got up one morning to go to work and could not take it anymore. I went back to my family doctor and I told them not I am not leaving till they find out what's wrong with me. Finally they did a blood test and it came back positive for mononucleosis. This is the worst and most painful thing ever. I have found out that prednisone helps with my ears and throat for a few hours, but the rest the time I feel like I am going to die. Good luck to any one that gets this.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms Question: For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.