Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Shabbypainter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had mononucleosis when I was 14, now I am 58. I was very ill, had to sleep with the windows blacked out, no lights in the room. My head ache was so bad I could hear a pin drop, it would hurt. I slept for days. I was at home not in the hospital; in my day they didn"t do that, they just sent you home. But it did hurt me in the long run, it had caused neurology problems the rest of my life. I have seizures.

Comment from: pinktwin147, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I slept away the whole of July 2013 with what I later learned to be mononucleosis. The symptoms must have begun earlier but since I have a sleep disorder I didn't notice anything wrong until July. I literally slept the whole month away. I woke to eat a little and bathroom breaks. By the 7th of August I was disgusted but feeling better and went to visit family in the States. To date no one has suffered from my visit. At 66 I was totally surprised to get this virus. I had no other symptoms but the fatigue.

Comment from: Nelly, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 05

Took my 8 year old to his primary doctor with fever and a sore throat. The strep test came back negative so they said it would just go away and to keep using Tylenol. That night, he got a 103 temperature before bed time. I gave him Pediacare. Next morning his fever reached 105. I must mention that for three days he just kept sleeping. I took him to the emergency room and they sent him to the children's hospital ICU on an ambulance. Blood cultures showed he tested positive for the Epstein Barr virus and so it was mononucleosis.

Comment from: Chelle25, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I first noticed a general feeling of unwellness and just felt run down. Then my eyes started to swell and hurt. I noticed I had swollen glands in my throat and that my neck felt fat. I just had gum surgery and thought maybe it was infected. I called my dentist and he put me on amoxicillin. I still felt sick and as the days went on the more fatigued I was getting. I then thought it was from my antipsychotic Geodon but it just kept getting stronger and stronger, the fatigue. I finally took myself to the emergency room after work one night and they did a mono spot test which came out positive. They did the test twice to make sure. It's been 3 weeks and sometimes I feel like I am dying.

Comment from: Amber1113, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

I have a 14 year old daughter that has been sick for 6 weeks now. The first week her symptoms were sore throat, headache, body aches, fever. Then the black spots before eyes, weakness and feeling faint set in. We took her to 2 doctors and then the emergency room where they noted the enlarged spleen and diagnosed mono even though the mono test came back negative. After about 3 weeks she was feeling a bit more energetic and went to school for a few days only to relapse with fever and headaches and extreme fatigue again. The doctor ordered more blood work and test for EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) and the other known virus that causes mono. Those results came back negative as well as another mono spot. But yesterday we took her to the pediatrician with right side pain that goes all the way through and bad headache with sharp pains in the head. She had a CT scan that showed enlarged lymph nodes in the abdomen. It is driving us crazy that we can't pin mono down with any blood tests. She has missed so much school and is too tired to really even try to keep up.

Comment from: shellbeecup, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I"m 21 years old, thought I had strep so I went to the doctor and I have never been so mad to get back a negative strep test. Yep, I had mononucleosis. I'm going into the doctor's office again tomorrow, I haven't eaten in two days, and now I can't drink water without crying from the pain of my sore throat. I have never been so sick in my life. I just want a juicy homemade burger!

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes Question: Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.