Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Joanna, Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I started feeling under the weather for 2 days prior to full break out of mononucleosis. I still went to work and found that I was able to control my symptoms by taking painkillers like Tylenol every 4 hours. On the second day, I was feeling mildly fatigued and just again slightly under the weather. After work I again took 2 Tylenol, but by 8 pm I started experiencing the worst chills and started getting a fever. I went to bed and woke up to vomiting in the early hours. No sore throat though. I developed severe fatigue, so much so that I could not even sit up to drink. After the 4th day of this I went to the doctor. He checked me for flu and said that it was most likely the flu. After 8 days I went back to the doctor. The flu test was negative, so he ran a series of blood tests and found that I had an acute infection of infectious mononucleosis. My abdomen was very tender and I had an enlarged spleen, a low neutrophil count, a very high lymphocyte count and very high liver enzymes. This is my 3rd week and I am still running a low grade fever along with the most debilitating fatigue that never seems to abate. Today is the start of my 4th week and is the first day where I have not had a fever. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of it. Never in my life have I felt so ill, not since strep throat. This is not a disease that adults should get. Symptoms are much worse for adults.

Comment from: GG, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I got mononucleosis when I was 24, from kissing. First I had a very bad sore throat that didn't go away even with antibiotics, so my doctor gave me a HIV test. I felt very weak and dizzy for a few days. A couple of weeks later I had a large swollen gland in my neck, then my tongue and throat got coated in white guck and I was covered in a rash. It turns out the rash was an allergy to the antibiotics. By the time I found out I had mono, about 3 weeks after first showing symptoms, I felt much better and it went away.

Comment from: Jackie, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 01

My daughter has been sick on and off for at least 6 weeks, maybe more. She went to an ENT who noticed no symptoms and sent her away with an allergy regime consisting of Claritin and nasal spray. The very next day her tonsils swelled up and she went to the urgent care where she was quickly dismissed with tonsillitis. She's away at college so I hadn't noticed how bad off she was until she came home for a weekend and she was so weak she barely moved from her bed for the 3 days she was here. She went back and continued to get worse. Exhausted, fatigued, and sensitive to sun, heat, and light. She broke a fever frequently crossing the parking lot to her classes. I finally looked for an internal medicine doctor who proceeded to run a large blood panel that returned negative until I insisted on a strep, mononucleosis, and Epstein-Barr virus test. Finally, bingo she has mono. She at times has been so sick I wanted to call an ambulance. The headaches have been excruciating for her luckily keeping to evenings so she hasn't had to bear that all day. More concerning has been the strange pains through the neck, head and pain that has traveled through her shoulders and hands. She was given an antiviral and 5 days of steroids which seem to have boosted her energy just enough to get through the day. I hope she doesn't have a 6 month or 1 year recovery like some doctors report.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes Question: Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.