Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: GG, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I got mononucleosis when I was 24, from kissing. First I had a very bad sore throat that didn't go away even with antibiotics, so my doctor gave me a HIV test. I felt very weak and dizzy for a few days. A couple of weeks later I had a large swollen gland in my neck, then my tongue and throat got coated in white guck and I was covered in a rash. It turns out the rash was an allergy to the antibiotics. By the time I found out I had mono, about 3 weeks after first showing symptoms, I felt much better and it went away.

Comment from: Jackie, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 01

My daughter has been sick on and off for at least 6 weeks, maybe more. She went to an ENT who noticed no symptoms and sent her away with an allergy regime consisting of Claritin and nasal spray. The very next day her tonsils swelled up and she went to the urgent care where she was quickly dismissed with tonsillitis. She's away at college so I hadn't noticed how bad off she was until she came home for a weekend and she was so weak she barely moved from her bed for the 3 days she was here. She went back and continued to get worse. Exhausted, fatigued, and sensitive to sun, heat, and light. She broke a fever frequently crossing the parking lot to her classes. I finally looked for an internal medicine doctor who proceeded to run a large blood panel that returned negative until I insisted on a strep, mononucleosis, and Epstein-Barr virus test. Finally, bingo she has mono. She at times has been so sick I wanted to call an ambulance. The headaches have been excruciating for her luckily keeping to evenings so she hasn't had to bear that all day. More concerning has been the strange pains through the neck, head and pain that has traveled through her shoulders and hands. She was given an antiviral and 5 days of steroids which seem to have boosted her energy just enough to get through the day. I hope she doesn't have a 6 month or 1 year recovery like some doctors report.

Comment from: Becky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I contracted mononucleosis two years ago. I was in the hospital for 11 days. I had very high levels of bilirubin but the weird thing was I had severe pain. It started in my head, went to the middle of my back then to my lower back and hips and weirdly enough ended in my right elbow. I was on a cocktail of painkillers that did not touch the pain. I have lasting damage in my hands and arms and experience severe leg cramping and hand seizures now. No doctors around here seem to know or care what it was or what can be done. It's disappointing to say the least. Two years! My energy is not what it was and my hands and arms are very weak.

Comment from: student1234, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis 8 weeks ago and I stopped feeling bad about 5 weeks ago. When diagnosed I had several lymph nodes swollen in and around my neck. While the ones underneath my jaw and above shoulder have definitely gone down, I still have four on the neck that haven't. I have two on each side of my neck. One of them is bigger than the rest, it is like hot dog in shape and is maybe 1.5 cm, the other ones are very skinny and maybe 1 cm, the bigger one though is bit wider than the others. I don't have any symptoms of weight loss, loss of appetite, tiredness, stomach pain, throat pain, night sweats, unusual bleeding, etc.

Comment from: V M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I was 57 when I had mononucleosis. I was very tired and had a sore throat. I was so fatigued, my hands and legs shook and I was sick for about 2 months. I could barely sign my name at work.

Comment from: Cmzg, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My child has been running a temperature since 1/22/15 and was taken to the doctor. First she tested positive for strep and they put her on medications. I took her back to the doctors who told us she had mononucleosis but didn't have it now. It's been 3 weeks and all she wants to do is sleep, and tells us she is tired. My daughter has disabilities and she can't really tell us what's going on, we really need help to know how we can make her drink and eat.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes Question: Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.