Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: July 23

I found out I had mono about 2 months ago. I've always slept a lot like any normal 18 year old but I had been getting so tired I would sleep for 12 hours and still be exhausted when I woke up. One morning I woke up to the worst sore throat I have ever had and very swollen glands in my neck. I went to my doctor a few days later and she immediately sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor because my tonsils were so swollen they were almost closing my throat. The ENT doctor took one look and said it was mono. I was put on steroids amoxicillin and pain medication. It hurt too much to swallow my own spit let alone any meds and all I could do was basically drool to avoid swallowing. I was brought to the emergency room. I was down to 97 pounds with no strength or energy left. Out of school and work for a month. Now 2 months later I have relapsed and am very sick again. All of the same symptoms are back and worse. Tonsils will be coming out but that won't get rid of the mono. Aches and pains and swollen glands and UTI are back. This has been the worst illness I've experienced ever. I pray it goes away but I know that won't be happening anytime soon.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 59 and have mononucleosis for the 2nd time. I had it many years ago at age 15. At that time my symptoms were severe, strep throat, very tired and swollen glands. So I was very surprised to have the same symptoms again. I told the people I work with that I feel like I have mono. Well, I went to the doctor and was positive with mono, strep and swollen glands again.

Comment from: frustrated, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My daughter's symptoms of mononucleosis are she has had a rash on her face and 1 week later swelling of the face to a point where she cannot see. She has fatigue, joint pain, sore throat and abdominal pain.

Comment from: LucyL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

When I was 20, overnight I developed severe low back pain that traveled to the bladder area, plus a very high fever. I first saw a urologist because my mononucleosis behaved at first like an acute kidney infection. After a few days, the virus settled in my liver and I was very ill with jaundice.

Published: July 25

My doctor thinks I have mono, but since my onset of symptoms are so new, she isn't testing me for it yet. I started out having fatigue, then joint pain in my fingers, hands, and arms. When my throat started to hurt, I thought I had strep, but the test came back negative. The glands in my neck are very swollen and tender, and my tonsils are so swollen they are touching. The doctor prescribed predinsone for the swelling, and a Z-pack just in case there is something bacterial going on. I also have upper stomach pain, but not real bad. Mostly I just want to sleep. Ibuprofen is a HUGE help, as it lessens the pain in my throat, and joint pains. Last night my fever broke, as I started to get sweaty and clammy. Today I am working, still tired, but not in extreme pain. I am a female, and 42 years old.

Published: July 18

I am now 56, but I became ill with mono when I was 28 years old. My symptoms of severe sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, and muscle and joint pain persisted for 3 months. After 3 months, I developed an enlargement of the liver, so my doctor gave my Cortizone, which I responded favorable to. In hindsight, I believe my fibromyalgia began one month after I got over mono. The muscle pain and deep tissue knots are something I live with every day.

Published: June 26

My son who is 18 contracted mono and was suffering with headaches and weakness along with chills for months before the initial onset of severe symptoms. Then the first symptom was the sore throat. He said he never experienced this kind of sore throat before. It was severe. Then came the fever. I looked down his throat to see white spots and lines, along with severe swelling that started on his right side then went to both sides. His fever lasted for a week. The sore throat started to subside after a week also. The weakness was intense, as he could not even walk to another room without going back to bed. His sweats and fever were severe. The highest his fever went was to 104. That was with Tylenol and ibuprofen. After 10 days he was able to walk around but still weak. This was the worse viral sickness I have seen in my children yet.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes Question: Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.