Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: frustrated, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My daughter's symptoms of mononucleosis are she has had a rash on her face and 1 week later swelling of the face to a point where she cannot see. She has fatigue, joint pain, sore throat and abdominal pain.

Comment from: LucyL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

When I was 20, overnight I developed severe low back pain that traveled to the bladder area, plus a very high fever. I first saw a urologist because my mononucleosis behaved at first like an acute kidney infection. After a few days, the virus settled in my liver and I was very ill with jaundice.

Published: July 25

My doctor thinks I have mono, but since my onset of symptoms are so new, she isn't testing me for it yet. I started out having fatigue, then joint pain in my fingers, hands, and arms. When my throat started to hurt, I thought I had strep, but the test came back negative. The glands in my neck are very swollen and tender, and my tonsils are so swollen they are touching. The doctor prescribed predinsone for the swelling, and a Z-pack just in case there is something bacterial going on. I also have upper stomach pain, but not real bad. Mostly I just want to sleep. Ibuprofen is a HUGE help, as it lessens the pain in my throat, and joint pains. Last night my fever broke, as I started to get sweaty and clammy. Today I am working, still tired, but not in extreme pain. I am a female, and 42 years old.

Published: July 18

I am now 56, but I became ill with mono when I was 28 years old. My symptoms of severe sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, and muscle and joint pain persisted for 3 months. After 3 months, I developed an enlargement of the liver, so my doctor gave my Cortizone, which I responded favorable to. In hindsight, I believe my fibromyalgia began one month after I got over mono. The muscle pain and deep tissue knots are something I live with every day.

Published: June 26

My son who is 18 contracted mono and was suffering with headaches and weakness along with chills for months before the initial onset of severe symptoms. Then the first symptom was the sore throat. He said he never experienced this kind of sore throat before. It was severe. Then came the fever. I looked down his throat to see white spots and lines, along with severe swelling that started on his right side then went to both sides. His fever lasted for a week. The sore throat started to subside after a week also. The weakness was intense, as he could not even walk to another room without going back to bed. His sweats and fever were severe. The highest his fever went was to 104. That was with Tylenol and ibuprofen. After 10 days he was able to walk around but still weak. This was the worse viral sickness I have seen in my children yet.

Comment from: carob, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

When I was 28, I was working at a job with children. One of the children had strep throat. Then, I came down with a very bad sore throat. I went to the doctor and found out I had strep throat and mono. So I took the doctor's advice and took a month off work. I was so tired I slept 12 hours a night! If I tried to go out at all, I would catch a cold and feel horrible. So I slept and stayed home a lot. I wasn't better after a month. The doctor eventually put me on lots of vitamins and I continued to rest. After three months of resting, I was finally better and able to go back to work! Another doctor told me to be careful, though, for the following year, that I didn't relapse and get it again. I was fine. I am now in my fifties and I think my 25-year-old may have it now.

Comment from: Mbender, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My daughter has been sick for 3 weeks now! First it was headaches and off and on sore throat, then came 102.5 fever. Went to Dr. Strep and mono negative. One week later back to Dr. For ear pain told it was viral nothing they could do. By the next week her throat was so swollen with white puss covering her tonsils she could barley breath. I took her to an ENT how took one look at her and said mono. I replied all the test were negative she said this is the worst case I have ever seen I will repeat the test. It was positive they have placed her on steroids to get the swelling down in her throat so she can breath, even considered admitting her to the hospital. We are on day two of the medication and for the first time in a week she got some rest, praying she continues to improve. Is doesn't have the extreme fatigue at this time but has had every other symptom headache, fever, swollen throat and glades, She looks like she has a golf ball In Her neck! Has had shortness of breath as well as joint pain. Today she said she breath out her nose but there is nothing in there it is not stuffy I am assuming it is do to all the swelling in her throat, and neck causing pressure on her adenoids.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes Question: Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.