Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: coffee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

In January I became very fatigued with low grade temperatures on and off. I got a cough and slight cold. They lasted about a month but I was still very fatigued. All of January and February, I slept day and night. I was too sick to go to the doctors. Finally the middle of March I went to the doctors, did my blood work and my liver proteins were 450. Two days later again I did blood and they were 900. Finally we discussed the fatigue and fevers and felt it was mononucleosis. I am still very fatigued after 10 weeks.

Comment from: Lisa, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 18

My son has mononucleosis and has been sick for 3 weeks. His virus has now caused hepatitis and his ALT is over 800. His ALKP is 480 and his bilirubin is 16 so he is yellow. He has had a diffuse rash because initially they treated him with amoxicillin. His fevers have been above 104 at times and have not relented. He has a new rash today on his hands. This is crazy. I have had him in to the hospital twice, the doctor 3 times and have had blood work 7 times. This poor kid has had the worst case of mono ever.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I was diagnosed with mono Friday night after a blood test. I go from feeling almost normal for maybe 15 minutes, to headache, dizzy and feeling faint. It's just awful. It's really scary! I'm just exhausted and weak.

Comment from: RedRenee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 47 and just found out today (10/25/13) that I have mono. I've had symptoms since September 14th. It has taken 3 trips to the doctors and several blood, urine and swab tests to rule out Lyme, strep and staph to finally arrive at mono. It all started with severe chills, headache then fever and a red-hot rash (similar to a sever sunburn) that went from hip to hip. One doctor mentioned Lyme and I remembered I had been bitten by a tick in May. Then when the antibiotics weren't clearing it up they tested for mono. Right now I am lethargic and feel like I am walking in quicksand. I'm also dizzy and nauseous at times. Apparently I am one of many older (28 - 68) adults in the West Tenessee area with this going on. I am looking forward to feeling better.

Comment from: Macho, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My 14 year old son had a sore throat for a day. It went away after a day. Two days later he developed an extreme headache that would not subside, nausea and double vision. Then a repetition of chills and then fever occurred. This continued for four days. I took him to the doctor and she sent him to the emergency room. He was diagnosed with mono and viral meningitis. We are on day 6 and the double vision is gone. The extreme headache has lessened. Only now, he's experiencing a stiff neck, medium headache, sensitive rashly skin and sleeping almost all day.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am 22 and hadn't ever had mononucleosis (mono) until now. My symptoms started out as a cough and really sore chest along with outrageous headaches throughout the day and a low-grade fever. I went to the doctor because I was short of breath. She noticed my throat was very red and irritated, there was wheezing in my lungs and respiratory area. She said I had bronchitis and I got put on antibiotics. A week later I didn't feel any better so I went back to the doctor. She repeated a chest X-ray and took blood to test for various things. X-ray was positive for pneumonia this time. At this point I was feeling very tired and had no motivation to do anything. My blood work came back positive for mono. 10 days later I am having horrible headaches, random fevers and it's almost all I can do to stand up and do things. I have an appetite and my throat isn't sore but overall my body feels awful. The bronchitis has cleared up for the most part. But dealing with this mono is no joke. I have never been this sick in my life.

Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your mononucleosis?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Causes Question: Most cases of mononucleosis occur in the 15-24 age group. How did you or your child "catch" mono?
Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Children Question: Did your child have mononucleosis? Please share your family's experience.