GENERIC NAME: indapamide
BRAND NAME: Lozol (discontinued brand)
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
SIDE EFFECTS: Common adverse side effects of indapamide are dehydration, and hypokalemia (low blood potassium due to elimination of potassium in the urine), which causes abnormal cardiac rhythms The most common symptom associated with hypokalemia is muscle weakness. Patients receiving indapamide may need potassium supplements to prevent hypokalemia. Hypomagnesemia (low blood magnesium) also may occur.
Other important side effects include:
- low blood pressure,
- excessive loss of sodium (particularly of concern in elderly patients),
- increased cholesterol (this effect tends to diminish with continued use),
- increased blood glucose,
- increased uric acid concentrations in the blood,
- blurred vision,
- tingling of the extremities,
- photosensitivity (skin rashes due to sunlight),
- irritability, and
Quick GuideHow to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise Tips
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.