Patient Comments: Implantable Cardiac Defibrillators - Experience

How long did it take you to recover after your cardioverter defibrillator was implanted? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Rebel, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I needed absolutely no recovery time after my cardioverter defibrillator was implanted. I was told not to reach overhead or lift over ten pounds. I was also restricted from driving or riding lawn mower. I have used yard and garden tools after one month. I have used an electric chain saw a little, but not a gasoline saw.

Comment from: Island Girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had cardiac arrest march 8th at the age of 47. They say it was from having a virus. I just dropped dead in the middle of the night in the bathroom. My sons heard me collapse and started CPR right away until the paramedics came. I died 4 times on the way to hospital and being air evacuated to a bigger hospital with the top cardiologists in the province. I was given 1 to 2% chance of survival. They installed a cardioverter defibrillator 2 weeks later and it is doing good. I"m just trying to get used to it as it"s so close to my collar bone and sleeping is hard.

Comment from: Cats3929, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had 4 ICDs (implantable cardioverter defibrillator) implanted since 1994. I have not had any problems! It has shocked me many times to save my life!

Implantable Cardiac Defibrillators - Tachycardias Cause Question: Do you suffer from tachycardias? What happened that made you seek the doctor who diagnosed your problem?
Implantable Cardiac Defibrillators - Outside Electrical Interfere Experience Question: Have outside electronics interfered with your implanted cardioverter defibrillator? Please explain what happened.