Patient Comments: Impetigo - Causes

If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?

Comment from: johnson, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My daughter has had impetigo twice. The 1st time she caught impetigo she was 4 years old. The second time she was 11 years old. Both times she came down with impetigo was in the summer time and it was because she was bitten repeatedly by mosquitos. It seems as if she is actually allergic to mosquitos. When my daughter gets bit it's not 1 or 3 bites it can be well over 40 to 50. She scratches her bites which get infected and that turns into impetigo.

Comment from: karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I'm 52 years old. I started getting tiny pimples around my lips and tried removing them by popping them. Within a couple days I got red bumps and sores that had a thick substance in them. Also tiny holes started to appear around my mouth and face, filling up with thick fluid. I have had staph infection in the past and got scared and went to urgent care. I was told that yes I had staph infection and impetigo. I was given antibiotics and Bactroban ointment. It is day 4 and I've had a little improvement but the sores are still around my mouth and I now have scars on my face. This doesn't just happen to children.

Comment from: sadface, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I got impetigo after being sick with the flu for a week and then going to a laser tag arena. The next morning, I woke up with the blisters in the usual area on my face. Now I can't go outside or do anything for at least a week.

Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Impetigo - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your impetigo?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.