Patient Comments: Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: FemalePerson, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I'm 56, having impetigo for the first time. Mine has spread rapidly and itches intensely. I've been on cephalexin for a week and it's a bit better on my face, where it started, but is awful and itchy on my arms. I used the cream but it seems to make it sting and itch worse. Now I want to try natural things like calendula oil or maybe peroxide since others have been helped. Also, am going to try the bleach bath. This is about the worst thing I've ever had! I will always use those wipes at the grocery store from now on. I pick at my fingers and wonder if this is how it entered my system. Another reason to stop that bad habit!

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 26

My son was getting staph infections on his fingers, impetigo and straight up boil like infections. The doctor told me we all carry staph on our bodies but sometimes it crosses the blood barrier and goes systemic. It can be via nose, eye, mouth, as well as through cuts and sores. He said the fingernails are notorious carriers of a dense amount. For those of you who get it frequently I suggest, upon awakening, clean under each nail with a sharp tip then soak fingers in antibacterial soap or gel and rinse. Also clean your tool. It takes about 7 minutes (or less) once you get the habit of it and it has stopped my son's staph, now 4 years clean with nothing! The nails in truth are probably the germiest things; even if they look clean they are full of microbes. Keep them clean and watch your health improve.

Comment from: April, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I have had Impetigo now for a little over what seems like 2 months. I try very hard not to scratch so as not to make it spread but it is very hard when my whole body itches. I have it in my groin area and my bottom, also a spot on my stomach and on my leg. I need to know something to get rid of it fast, as my husband has it on his penis head and in his groin area, probably form me. I am devastated about this because I am tired of scratching like a mad person in public. I am on medications orally and topically. I use Neosporin 2 times a day and take a pill and nothing seems to work; it seems to be spreading.

Comment from: Pearl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I first noticed a sore inside my nose. It felt like an ingrown pimple as I couldn't see it. From touching and trying to blow my nose it transferred to the other nostril, and became a sore. I noticed every day my skin was peeling further away from the center. I ended up getting two sores on my face, one about 1/4 inch big. That particular one scabbed, but upon washing my face gently my skin around the scab was peeling away, and I ended up with a bigger sore. Another one appeared on my neck, and under my eye. I scratched thinking it was a bug bite, but became a red wet sore as well. The impetigo sores itch a lot and also sting from being raw skin. I'd avoid scratching anything by all means. It's scary to know they just appear from touching. I've been treating it with juice from aloe vera plant twice a day, and oral antibiotics. So far it has been a week, and they seem to be healing with the aloe vera. I also wore Band-Aids over them today and it seemed to keep them from spreading, but didn't retain any moisture due to the aloe vera acting as a dry film that your skin soaks up.

Comment from: Charline, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My kids (10 and 11) and I got impetigo all at once. My son just started with the rash on his hands and feet with blisters on his arms. Shortly after him my daughter got it but she had high temperatures. Then I got the blisters and spots on my hands and feet. We were given antibiotics and extra medications. I just want to know for how long this is contagious. We've had it now for about a week. Mine looks more under control but we now have infected my husband too.

Impetigo - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your impetigo?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.