Patient Comments: Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 23

My son is 12 and started with some red spots around his nose, the dermatologist said it is eczema. He told me to just use Aveeno eczema cream. Then we went for a prescription cream. It is almost 6 months of this and now the doctor said it is impetigo. It looks so horrible on my poor boy's face. We are now giving him 500 mg of Keflex three times a day and Fucidin cream 4 times a day. I so hope this finally works.

Comment from: Eman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My impetigo happens on my fingers and finger tips. It lasts about one week. I use tea tree oil. It works pretty good.

Comment from: Lorie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

With impetigo, the key is not to scratch or touch the infected area. I took extra strength Benadryl and left the area open. Covering will only aggravate it.

Comment from: shaemarie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 19 years old and I began to get red bumps in August around my nose that then spread to my chin. At first I thought it was acne. Thinking it was acne I did different things to help it clear up but nothing worked. Two and a half months later it became super red and blotchy. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with impetigo. He gave me an ointment with Bactroban. It took almost three days to see any results. I had severe itching and the only thing that helped was washing my face and soaking it in really warm water and then reapplying the ointment. And at the end of two weeks it hasn't really cleared up. My doctor then gave me antibiotics which I take 4 times a day and it seems to be helping. Impetigo is definitely not fun!

Comment from: Stalin, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I've had impetigo develop a few times. It's a bacterial infection that pops up when open wounds (I.e. acne, bug bites) get scratched or picked at with dirty hands, so frequent camping or generally poor hygiene is the most likely suspect. Only once I've needed it treated with antibiotics, and that was the worst of it. I've gotten it a few times since then and it cleared up after about a week as long as I didn't touch or scratch any of the infected areas. I know that's easier said than done because it itches something fierce, but that's the #1 thing you can do if you don't have access to medical treatment. And trim your nails and wash your hands like a Howard Hughes-level germophobe. Also, do not attempt to treat the sores with alcohol. That'll make them grow like wildfire.

Comment from: John, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I got a crusty blister on and below my nose around December 20. On December 24, I started developing blisters on other parts of my body, and by December 26 they were severe enough that I was in constant, debilitating pain. I had large blisters on my neck, chest, wrists, fingers, arms, butt, groin, genitals, thighs, and left foot. I was evaluated by a dermatologist on December 26, and on December 30 he put me on a medicine to treat autoimmune disease, but it didn't help; on January 2 he told me I had a staph infection and finally prescribed antibiotics. The pain finally went away after a couple of days and the blisters began to heal. Now it is January 19 and I feel very healthy, but I still have red blotches on my skin in most of the places where I formerly had blisters. I don't know how long it will take for these red blotches to go away, but I'm surprised by the persistence. It's been two weeks since my staph infection was killed off by the antibiotics, but red blotches remain.

Comment from: impetigo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I first got impetigo in high school. I was working at a restaurant and dish water splashed in my face. Seconds later I had 3 little bumps on the bottom of my lip and as the night went by it started to drip yellow liquid and crust over. I went to the emergency room and they told me it was impetigo. I am 28 now and I have had it between 2 to 3 times a year since the first occurrence. One time I had it in two different spots on my lip. I currently have it now, this is my first time having it only once in a year. The pain can get to you at times so I take Advil and I clean it every time the crust builds up. I am using mupirocin cream and it dries it up quickly.

Impetigo - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your impetigo?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.