Patient Comments: Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: April, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I have had Impetigo now for a little over what seems like 2 months. I try very hard not to scratch so as not to make it spread but it is very hard when my whole body itches. I have it in my groin area and my bottom, also a spot on my stomach and on my leg. I need to know something to get rid of it fast, as my husband has it on his penis head and in his groin area, probably form me. I am devastated about this because I am tired of scratching like a mad person in public. I am on medications orally and topically. I use Neosporin 2 times a day and take a pill and nothing seems to work; it seems to be spreading.

Comment from: Pearl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I first noticed a sore inside my nose. It felt like an ingrown pimple as I couldn't see it. From touching and trying to blow my nose it transferred to the other nostril, and became a sore. I noticed every day my skin was peeling further away from the center. I ended up getting two sores on my face, one about 1/4 inch big. That particular one scabbed, but upon washing my face gently my skin around the scab was peeling away, and I ended up with a bigger sore. Another one appeared on my neck, and under my eye. I scratched thinking it was a bug bite, but became a red wet sore as well. The impetigo sores itch a lot and also sting from being raw skin. I'd avoid scratching anything by all means. It's scary to know they just appear from touching. I've been treating it with juice from aloe vera plant twice a day, and oral antibiotics. So far it has been a week, and they seem to be healing with the aloe vera. I also wore Band-Aids over them today and it seemed to keep them from spreading, but didn't retain any moisture due to the aloe vera acting as a dry film that your skin soaks up.

Comment from: Charline, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My kids (10 and 11) and I got impetigo all at once. My son just started with the rash on his hands and feet with blisters on his arms. Shortly after him my daughter got it but she had high temperatures. Then I got the blisters and spots on my hands and feet. We were given antibiotics and extra medications. I just want to know for how long this is contagious. We've had it now for about a week. Mine looks more under control but we now have infected my husband too.

Comment from: Shawn, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I'm a 30 year-old male. I've been getting impetigo since I was around 10. Some years I get it as many as 8 to 10 times, other years I'm luckier and only get it 1 to 3 times. It always forms on or above my top lip. I used to assume it was cold sores but doctors claim impetigo. I had it so badly once as a teen that I now have a scar above my lip and grow no facial hair in that spot. Best solution I have found is to shave my face over the wound, opening it up in the process. Then I put nail polish remover on it a few times. It dries it out very quickly. Then I'll switch to Neosporin. Total healing time is still around a week. I hate it. It makes me miserable. I'm generally a very confident guy but with impetigo I feel like people must think I look disgusting. I'd give just about anything to never get it again.

Comment from: oldgal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm in the middle of a bout of impetigo now. I also suffer from shingles. When my general immune system is down, I get one or the other or both. Usually, it takes 2 rounds of antibiotics to get it down. The topical ointment seems to make it worse, so I don't use it. I have found that lidocaine will numb it up enough so that the itching/burning doesn't make me crazy or want to scratch. I was left with permanent red blotches after my first round of impetigo and nothing will make it go away. Try to avoid touching it, wash your hands frequently and if you must touch the area (to apply medicine etc.), use a Q-Tip. Do not dry the area with a towel you use on other parts of your body. I have a dedicated set of cloths I use and disinfect immediately. Staph is no joke. It can go from a small area to a systemic problem in no time whatsoever. Good luck to all of you sufferers. This, too shall pass.

Comment from: Carrot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I'm a 44 year old female. I started getting impetigo at age 30 after getting chapped lips golfing (probably wind burned along with winter sun sensitivity). I used the hotel pool and the doctor thinks that's where I contracted it. I've had it 4 times since. I made it a year or two before getting to golfing again. Now I use Chap Stick with sunblock and it usually doesn't occur when I get chapped lips. Traveling is also stressful so immunity is low. It does occur now when I get sick! Runny noses and wiping my lips constantly is when I get it. This last cold wasn't bad and my lips didn't break out as much since I used Bactroban right away. I thought it was gone within 2 weeks of not so severe symptoms, but then it flared up again but worse. I am getting antibiotics tomorrow. I think licking lips, rubbing, not sanitizing water bottles and toothbrushes and getting rid of all lipsticks made it re-infected. And perhaps I didn't use the ointment long enough. It caused itching so bad it woke me up all night. I think I spread it from scratching my chin, trying to avoid my lips! Smoking or straws will spread it because it's moving around the contagious area. Rubbing my lips together, while the blisters oozed, moved it from lower to upper lip overnight!

Impetigo - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your impetigo?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.