Patient Comments: Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: 19-24 Male Published: September 25

I get impetigo every year, but it never lasts longer then 2-3 weeks. I get treatment for it when the first signs of it shows up to prevent it from getting to bad.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I caught impetigo on a camping trip, but just thought that I was having a breakout of pimples on a small area on my face. Within a couple of days, it was all over my forehead and I got a topical cream and oral antibiotics from a family physician. After a few days, it wasn't getting any better and my entire face was puffy and the lesions had crusted over. I went to the hospital and was put on IV antibiotics for the next week. In the end it did clear up eventually.

Published: July 25

First, I started to get small bumps on my face through football conditioning. As days went on, I realized that it started to spread and it gave me a burning feeling. I tried covering it up with some acne treatment, but it wasn't effective. Then I went to the doctor and found that it was impetigo (skin infection) I was on three antibiotics, and a few days after, my condition has successfully been improving and getting better.

Published: July 08

I have had an impetigo skin infection for two months now and its driving me crazy! Ihave had oral antibiotics and cream for it, but it keeps coming back. The only thing that seems to stop the itching is calamine lotion. I am going back to the doctor yet again this week and hope that finally something can be done.

Comment from: kiki, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am 24 and I had impetigo since I was 3 months. My father has it too, thats where I got it from. So please be careful parents when you kiss you infants because they are more prone to getting the infection. Imagine getting this thing for your whole life. I am still not used to it, it hurts and it's ugly. Now I have two daughters and I am grateful that they don't have to go through this.

Comment from: specialme, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

How do you actually get rid of this, in just about every case it returns. I've had it for 5 years, and every winter it comes back lasting 9 days, this winter has been the worst, had it about 5 times, always in the same spot, under my nose.

Comment from: 3-6 Female Published: January 22

Impetigo wasn't shocking to hear at all when I was told that my four year old had it today at the doctors. I am a mother of a two year old boy as well and he had continuous outbreaks throughout his first year of life. Although he had it in a totally different area than my daughter it all relates to the same thing, staph infection caused from the same thing dry heat dry skin colds and then here comes impetigo a few doses of the antibiotics and it is all better.

Comment from: becky, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 22

My son is 5 yrs old and I got a call him his school that had a rash so I immediately got him from school and brought him to the doctor. They told me he has impetigo and gave me an antibiotic called Sulfatrim and some cream called mupirocin. But he's in kindergarten and I was wondering how long impetigo usually last. I don't want him to miss too much school. I know it's very contagious and going to school he will spread it.

Comment from: Fran, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have been getting impetigo for the past 3 years on and off. I first got the infection when I came back from Italy and I have been getting it ever since. It tends to appear on my face around my mouth, I haven't had it anywhere else on my body. I find it a pain because I miss out on school, as they won't allow me in. It's very itchy and irritating; I wish I could stop it from coming back.

Impetigo - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your impetigo?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.