Patient Comments: Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: badluckles, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I'm a 20-year-old female. I got impetigo about seven months ago, and it has reappeared! It is so gross! I didn't know I could get it again, until I read up on it when I started to get the irritating little blisters on the bottom of my chin. I am using Bactroban and am soon to be on amoxicillin. I have never had a cold sore or anything of that matter. I'm not sure where I could have picked it up. I really hope I don't get it again for the third time! I guess I just really have bad luck.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My toddler has had impetigo for three weeks now. It is no longer infectious but still has some red spots on the area. She had antibiotics by mouth as well as cream.

Comment from: littlefaith, 3-6 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

My child contracted impetigo about eight months ago. It almost went away, then it came back again like a raw spot above her eye. We have tried every antibiotic cream and medicine, and nothing is clearing it up. I took her to the dermatologist, and they said it is eczema, but the cream they have given for it does not work either.

Comment from: wnttblv, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am 32, and have gotten impetigo at least once a year since I was 4 years old. It always appears on my chin, usually after I have been sick or my immune system has been compromised. It lasts one to two weeks, and the only thing that seems to help the itching is a hot washrag applied to the area. Antibiotic creams do seem to help the healing process. However, liquid garlic capsules applied to the area works as well, if not better, and also helps prevent the dry, cracking stage when it scabs over.

Comment from: Annoynamous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have suffered with impetigo for eight years now. I started off getting it about twice a year, but now I'm lucky if I go three months! I now also suffer from cold sores, which I never used to get before the impetigo. I always get antibiotics, which usually clear it up within one to two weeks, but I still hate it. It feels horrible, and it looks horrible!

Comment from: dealpa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I started getting impetigo when I was 19 and in the 11 years since then, I seem to get it twice a year, usually during spring and fall when I have allergies. I always get it on my face: my nose, my lip, or my chin. It's annoying because it sometimes isn't facilitated by any sneezing; it just appears out of nowhere. I usually start feeling a general sense of malaise a day or so before the impetigo appears and a day or so after, as well. The minute I suspect it's there, however, I begin the Bactroban immediately. This is key so it doesn't get worse. However, it still looks ugly for days afterward. After a day or so of Bactroban, I also apply Neosporin to spur (in my mind, anyway) the healing process. It's more of an annoyance, if anything, and embarrassing to be out in public as its healing. I hate it!

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had impetigo as a baby and then it came back on my face after my appendix was taken out at the age of 13. Since then, I have it at least every year usually around my mouth. I use Mupirocin and the impetigo usually lasts two to three weeks. If I start it right away, it usually goes away faster.

Comment from: RAJ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I suspect my impetigo infection began about three months ago, but was only recently diagnosed two months ago. I have a ping-pong sized scab of it on my left shin but its already spreading. Also my hands and arms have the bulbous type. They burn and blister and four types of tablets and two creams have little effect. I'm seeing the doctor this Friday. This is leaving me depressed. The only good is that my face is untouched.

Impetigo - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your impetigo?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.