Patient Comments: Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: John, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I got a crusty blister on and below my nose around December 20. On December 24, I started developing blisters on other parts of my body, and by December 26 they were severe enough that I was in constant, debilitating pain. I had large blisters on my neck, chest, wrists, fingers, arms, butt, groin, genitals, thighs, and left foot. I was evaluated by a dermatologist on December 26, and on December 30 he put me on a medicine to treat autoimmune disease, but it didn't help; on January 2 he told me I had a staph infection and finally prescribed antibiotics. The pain finally went away after a couple of days and the blisters began to heal. Now it is January 19 and I feel very healthy, but I still have red blotches on my skin in most of the places where I formerly had blisters. I don't know how long it will take for these red blotches to go away, but I'm surprised by the persistence. It's been two weeks since my staph infection was killed off by the antibiotics, but red blotches remain.

Comment from: impetigo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I first got impetigo in high school. I was working at a restaurant and dish water splashed in my face. Seconds later I had 3 little bumps on the bottom of my lip and as the night went by it started to drip yellow liquid and crust over. I went to the emergency room and they told me it was impetigo. I am 28 now and I have had it between 2 to 3 times a year since the first occurrence. One time I had it in two different spots on my lip. I currently have it now, this is my first time having it only once in a year. The pain can get to you at times so I take Advil and I clean it every time the crust builds up. I am using mupirocin cream and it dries it up quickly.

Comment from: Daryaantonov, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

Tea tree oil helped both of my kids, the impetigo was gone in two weeks; I just put tea tree oil on the affected area.

Published: March 13

I got impetigo through a cut on my ear. Getting mono about 5 months ago means I have no immune system so a simple infection turned into impetigo in less than 24 hours. The infection caused my lymph nodes in my neck to swell up making swallowing and moving my head and neck severely painful. After two emergency room visits I was finally given a topical bacterial cream, Vicodin for the pain, and antibiotics (after numerous tests to find the right one, having gone through vomiting and fevers with previous prescribed antibiotics). So far, no change. Keep your fingers crossed. Take everything when you should. Ask your pharmacist what to eat with and what not to eat with, and DO HOT COMPRESSES. I found that cleaning it, then pressing a hot wet washrag to it repeatedly, then applying the cream is the best way. It makes the ache stop a little.

Comment from: Katie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I'm a 21 year old female. I think I got it from a cold sore. It's right in the corner of my mouth. I thought it was just a cold sore but then it started swelling up into my mouth. It was so painful and I knew something was wrong. So I went to the doctor and she said it was the worst she'd seen! She gave me antibiotics, antiinflammatory/painkiller, and topical cream. I am being very careful never touching it and using a new towel every time and changing sheets everyday. It is so gross. I've had it for five days now and got antibiotics and meds about 3 days ago, so it is just clearing up now. It is disgusting and leaking pus. I am so embarrassed of it and I seriously feel for all of you. I've been missing school. Seriously all of us just have BAD LUCK. So I really hope this doesn't come back in 8 months, or whatever. I think for anyone who has it, the most important thing is to not touch it and sanitize everything!

Comment from: Jim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I'm 36 and never had impetigo before. I cut myself shaving near the corner of my mouth, and I believe this is how the bacteria entered. Unfortunately, my symptoms flared up on a trip from the United States to Cancun, and I didn't have access to a doctor. I tried treating by washing and applying Neosporin. At first, it seemed to help, but then it got worse. Upon returning to the United States, I got Bactroban cream, and it is clearing up after only three days. My doctor let me know I aggravated the condition by forming an allergic reaction to over-use of Neosporin, which was the first time I knew one could develop an allergy. From now on, I think I'll travel with over-the-counter triple antibiotic cream, just in case something like this happens in the future.

Impetigo - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your impetigo?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.