Patient Comments: Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Itchy in St. Louis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have been suffering from bullous impetigo for the last six months on my face, neck and back. It was misdiagnosed by 3 different physicians as acne and/or dermatitis. Finally got the correct diagnosis three weeks ago and have been treating with Bactroban and Bactrim, plus a "bleach bath." Never heard of "bleach bath" before, but it entails adding 1/8 cup of Clorox bleach and soaking for 10 minutes once a day to sterilize the skin. Antibiotics were helping but the bleach bath is the treatment that did the trick.

Comment from: 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 27

My 11-year-old son has suffered from recurring impetigo on his chin for the last four years. It usually occurs during football season and lasts a week or two. If we don't start Mupirocin and Betadine immediately (at the first sign of the first blister) and continuously, it spreads rapidly and gets deeper in the skin. A few times, he has had to take oral antibiotics.

Published: July 24

My 13 year old daughter had a rash for over a month surrounding her nose/nostrils. I initially thought was a mild case of acne and tried every acne product known to man to cure it, before I finally decided it was time to take her to the doctor/dermatologist. When I told her father of my intentions, he revealed that his step-daughter had had impetigo just a few weeks before our daughters symptoms appeared. Upon hearing this, my son said he also had a rash, but on his neck. We immediately began treating with triple antibiotic, within a few days, the rash was gone and her skin was beginning to heal beautifully.

Comment from: Roy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I was using benzoyl peroxide to treat acne and somehow impetigo still came on. I would have thought the benzoyl would kill the bacteria.

Comment from: N.O. Mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 19

We tried every cream for my son's eczema and they did not work. He also was diagnosed with tinea versicolor (a yeast infection) and the prescribed cream did not work. I put him on probiotics and everything cleared up including his acne.

Comment from: Dawn, 25-34 (Patient) Published: May 30

I have suffered from impetigo for many years. I picked it up somehow in my late teens, and every time I feel run down, within a few days my lips start to crack. This will be either during winter or summer, and then I have flu-like symptoms. My temperature goes wild and I have a severe toothache and earache. Believe me – I have tried everything over the years. I wash my hands thoroughly and use alcohol gel; my house is spotlessly clean and I bleach everything. When I feel like this, I feel dirty and depressed. My immune system feels down and I cry quite easily. It's very sore and itches like mad. A trip to the doctor for a strong dose of antibiotics normally clears it up, though. I feel sorry for anyone who suffers like I do – this infection is not pleasant.

Comment from: Katie, 19-24 Female Published: March 14

I currently have impetigo. I am on my third day of medication. The area is very red and turning hard (on my face (cheek) and near my eye. What does improvement of impetigo look like? Should it be gone soon? I am taking Apo-Sulfatrim.

Comment from: JaneLily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was really sick last summer and since I didn't have insurance at that time, I thought I could sleep it off. I continued to get worse. Soon enough, I started getting blisters on my arms, legs, mouth, and then spread to my groin area. I went to my gyno first since that was the most miserable area. He said Herpes test was negative, but prescribed Acyclovir anyway. I went through two weeks and two bottles of Acyclovir ($200 a bottle without insurance) and it just got worse. Then he did $1200 worth of autoimmune disease testing which everything came back negative. I finally went to my general doctor. She prescribed me a topical Acyclovir for my mouth. Didn't work. Finally, after more blood work, she called back saying my white blood cell count was through the roof so she put me on an antibiotic. Sure enough, after a total of 5 weeks of suffering (literally couldn't even walk), I was cured within 5 days. Strep throat came back again two weeks later, but was put on a stronger antibiotic. The end result was scarlet fever (also had peeling hands and other symptoms). The impetigo was caused by the Group A Strep running rampant in my body.

Impetigo - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your impetigo?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.