Patient Comments: Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Daryaantonov, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

Tea tree oil helped both of my kids, the impetigo was gone in two weeks; I just put tea tree oil on the affected area.

Published: March 13

I got impetigo through a cut on my ear. Getting mono about 5 months ago means I have no immune system so a simple infection turned into impetigo in less than 24 hours. The infection caused my lymph nodes in my neck to swell up making swallowing and moving my head and neck severely painful. After two emergency room visits I was finally given a topical bacterial cream, Vicodin for the pain, and antibiotics (after numerous tests to find the right one, having gone through vomiting and fevers with previous prescribed antibiotics). So far, no change. Keep your fingers crossed. Take everything when you should. Ask your pharmacist what to eat with and what not to eat with, and DO HOT COMPRESSES. I found that cleaning it, then pressing a hot wet washrag to it repeatedly, then applying the cream is the best way. It makes the ache stop a little.

Comment from: Katie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I'm a 21 year old female. I think I got it from a cold sore. It's right in the corner of my mouth. I thought it was just a cold sore but then it started swelling up into my mouth. It was so painful and I knew something was wrong. So I went to the doctor and she said it was the worst she'd seen! She gave me antibiotics, antiinflammatory/painkiller, and topical cream. I am being very careful never touching it and using a new towel every time and changing sheets everyday. It is so gross. I've had it for five days now and got antibiotics and meds about 3 days ago, so it is just clearing up now. It is disgusting and leaking pus. I am so embarrassed of it and I seriously feel for all of you. I've been missing school. Seriously all of us just have BAD LUCK. So I really hope this doesn't come back in 8 months, or whatever. I think for anyone who has it, the most important thing is to not touch it and sanitize everything!

Comment from: Jim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I'm 36 and never had impetigo before. I cut myself shaving near the corner of my mouth, and I believe this is how the bacteria entered. Unfortunately, my symptoms flared up on a trip from the United States to Cancun, and I didn't have access to a doctor. I tried treating by washing and applying Neosporin. At first, it seemed to help, but then it got worse. Upon returning to the United States, I got Bactroban cream, and it is clearing up after only three days. My doctor let me know I aggravated the condition by forming an allergic reaction to over-use of Neosporin, which was the first time I knew one could develop an allergy. From now on, I think I'll travel with over-the-counter triple antibiotic cream, just in case something like this happens in the future.

Comment from: PZeuhl, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I got bullous impetigo on my arm last year and went to the hospital where they told me I had ringworm. I was instructed to buy some Monistat-7 and that it would go away. Two weeks later it had pretty much taken over all of my upper arm and when I called the hospital the RN that saw me told me not to go back, to go see a specialist. The dermatologist was able to see me a week later and the impetigo was now all over my arm and side of my chest. Derm Doctor got me squared away on topical and oral antibiotics and it was gone in about a week. I feel for the person who expressed how depressing Impetigo can make you feel, it was a horrible experience. Now a year later, I have the same little burning crusty scabs coming on.

Comment from: Itchy in St. Louis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have been suffering from bullous impetigo for the last six months on my face, neck and back. It was misdiagnosed by 3 different physicians as acne and/or dermatitis. Finally got the correct diagnosis three weeks ago and have been treating with Bactroban and Bactrim, plus a "bleach bath." Never heard of "bleach bath" before, but it entails adding 1/8 cup of Clorox bleach and soaking for 10 minutes once a day to sterilize the skin. Antibiotics were helping but the bleach bath is the treatment that did the trick.

Comment from: 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 27

My 11-year-old son has suffered from recurring impetigo on his chin for the last four years. It usually occurs during football season and lasts a week or two. If we don't start Mupirocin and Betadine immediately (at the first sign of the first blister) and continuously, it spreads rapidly and gets deeper in the skin. A few times, he has had to take oral antibiotics.

Impetigo - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your impetigo?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.