Patient Comments: Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: oldgal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm in the middle of a bout of impetigo now. I also suffer from shingles. When my general immune system is down, I get one or the other or both. Usually, it takes 2 rounds of antibiotics to get it down. The topical ointment seems to make it worse, so I don't use it. I have found that lidocaine will numb it up enough so that the itching/burning doesn't make me crazy or want to scratch. I was left with permanent red blotches after my first round of impetigo and nothing will make it go away. Try to avoid touching it, wash your hands frequently and if you must touch the area (to apply medicine etc.), use a Q-Tip. Do not dry the area with a towel you use on other parts of your body. I have a dedicated set of cloths I use and disinfect immediately. Staph is no joke. It can go from a small area to a systemic problem in no time whatsoever. Good luck to all of you sufferers. This, too shall pass.

Comment from: alexandrraah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I developed severe impetigo on my face with canker sores on my lips when I was 19. I had 103 degree fevers and the infection spread on my face mainly around my chin. I got it from having no immune system from being an alcoholic. I took antibiotics and in 2 weeks it was gone. I'm 20 now and every few months a blister will pop up in the exact same as spot as before but not spread; just blister and disappear. I don't understand it. I'm no longer a drinker and have never had acne or cuts on my face.

Comment from: ReneB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am currently suffering from impetigo for the 3rd time in 6 months. This time is the worst so far. The first round of antibiotics did nothing. I went to Urgent Care 3 days later because of swelling and was put on an additional antibiotic, prednisone and Bactroban. Now over a week later there's still no change. It freaking hurts, like pulsing pain right next to my mouth. Every time it crusts over, I open my mouth to eat something and bam, cracks wide open. I have an appointment with a dermatologist tomorrow, so fingers crossed they can figure something out because I am not happy!

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 23

My son is 12 and started with some red spots around his nose, the dermatologist said it is eczema. He told me to just use Aveeno eczema cream. Then we went for a prescription cream. It is almost 6 months of this and now the doctor said it is impetigo. It looks so horrible on my poor boy's face. We are now giving him 500 mg of Keflex three times a day and Fucidin cream 4 times a day. I so hope this finally works.

Comment from: Eman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My impetigo happens on my fingers and finger tips. It lasts about one week. I use tea tree oil. It works pretty good.

Comment from: Lorie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

With impetigo, the key is not to scratch or touch the infected area. I took extra strength Benadryl and left the area open. Covering will only aggravate it.

Comment from: shaemarie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 19 years old and I began to get red bumps in August around my nose that then spread to my chin. At first I thought it was acne. Thinking it was acne I did different things to help it clear up but nothing worked. Two and a half months later it became super red and blotchy. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with impetigo. He gave me an ointment with Bactroban. It took almost three days to see any results. I had severe itching and the only thing that helped was washing my face and soaking it in really warm water and then reapplying the ointment. And at the end of two weeks it hasn't really cleared up. My doctor then gave me antibiotics which I take 4 times a day and it seems to be helping. Impetigo is definitely not fun!

Comment from: Granny, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had an eruption on my arm that itched and quickly became an open sore. The doctor told me to apply a medicine for itching. A few day later two more itchy sores appeared on my neck. When they were healed three more came on my chin. The itching and stinging of the impetigo were severe. I used Neosporin the first day and then mupirocin the next. It seemed to hurt and itch more so I switched back to Neosporin. They have all healed now but left shiny pink spots on my skin. I live in my own home and have not knowingly been around anyone with sores on them.

Impetigo - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your impetigo?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.