Patient Comments: Impetigo - Treatment

What was the treatment for your impetigo?

Comment from: bull8807, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I am an adult and this is my first bout of impetigo. I work in a medical clinic so most likely I picked it up there; I did get a cut on my finger at work a few days before I started showing symptoms. I waited a week to seek treatment because I originally thought I was having some kind of allergic reaction. By the time I did go to urgent care, I had a rash of small red spots all over my arms (shoulder to fingertips) and legs (hips to toes) plus on my trunk (front and back, plus chest). I also had blisters that looked similar to acne below my nose spreading to my cheeks and chin. Since the infection had spread so much already, I was immediately given a prednisone injection and prescribed topical steroid cream (for itching on my body) and antibiotic gel (for my face), plus an oral antibiotic (clindamycin because I was on vacation in a sunny place and I'm allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs). I was also given a high dose course of prednisone to take for a week, slowly tapering from 6 pills a day to 1 pill a day. I'm glad the urgent care doctor decided to bring out the big guns right away. Hopefully this will totally wipe out the infection.

Comment from: Sandra, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

For impetigo, eczema, boils, bacterial skin problems I have used a diluted bleach bath (about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of Clorox bleach) to bath water. Do this 2 or 3 times per week. My brother had crusting, cracking elbows and used a bleach bath twice and it was cured (whereas the prescribed cream did not work). My grandson has had impetigo and boils and though he says he hates the after-smell of bleach (temporary) the bleach bath worked almost immediately while the prescribed creams did not. It is not harmful when used for bacterial skin problems. Not sure why health/medical professionals won't give it a try. It works.

Comment from: Breeezy08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

Unfortunately I"ve suffered from impetigo for years! Frequently on my nose, even sometimes below it; it"s so embarrassing. I"ve found that using a hot washcloth and soap works well, then I put peppermint extract on it to dry it out, and repeat this a few times daily till it looks better. If it gets too dry I lessen the amount and apply lotion. Works wonders!

Comment from: Maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have psoriasis and get a quarterly shot of Stelara, which makes my immune system very weak. Last week I started feeling a tingling sensation in a psoriasis patch at the side of my nose, tried everything for a week, and this past Friday I went to my dermatologist and she said it"s impetigo. I"ve never had this before and she thinks I got it from swimming at a local pool! Ugh, it"s on my upper lip and under one eye. My doctor gave me Keflex antibiotics and Valtrex and Bactroban ointment, mine doesn"t itch at all, and it's been so painful! And my whole upper lip is stiff, it"s a mess. I think it"s slightly getting better, I"m on day 4 of the medicines. She also gave me lidocaine viscous gel for the pain. It"s so depressing! I hope it goes away soon.

Comment from: Beachbrat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had a large sized sore on the side of my nose, diagnosed as impetigo. The antibiotic treatment did not fix it. Because it itched terribly, I decided to try lavender oil and calendula cream on it. I applied them with a cotton swab and a few days later it cleared up. Now if I have a flare up, I just grab the lavender oil right away and it"s gone overnight.

Comment from: mom2jokay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I began getting impetigo when I was five years old. Back then, my parents were instructed to wash my face with a wash cloth soaked in boiling water to soften and break open the blisters. Then they cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol. Finally, they put on some type of antibiotic cream. It was torture for me. It took both of my parents to do this. My mom did the work and my dad held me down. Years later, upon changing doctors, they learned that it would clear up with just not touching the area except to apply the antibiotic cream with a cotton swab. I still get it now, but I can usually get it cleared with Neosporin within 2-3 days. Luckily, I've not passed it to my children.

Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.