Patient Comments: Impetigo - Treatment

What was the treatment for your impetigo?

Comment from: Maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have psoriasis and get a quarterly shot of Stelara, which makes my immune system very weak. Last week I started feeling a tingling sensation in a psoriasis patch at the side of my nose, tried everything for a week, and this past Friday I went to my dermatologist and she said it"s impetigo. I"ve never had this before and she thinks I got it from swimming at a local pool! Ugh, it"s on my upper lip and under one eye. My doctor gave me Keflex antibiotics and Valtrex and Bactroban ointment, mine doesn"t itch at all, and it's been so painful! And my whole upper lip is stiff, it"s a mess. I think it"s slightly getting better, I"m on day 4 of the medicines. She also gave me lidocaine viscous gel for the pain. It"s so depressing! I hope it goes away soon.

Comment from: Beachbrat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had a large sized sore on the side of my nose, diagnosed as impetigo. The antibiotic treatment did not fix it. Because it itched terribly, I decided to try lavender oil and calendula cream on it. I applied them with a cotton swab and a few days later it cleared up. Now if I have a flare up, I just grab the lavender oil right away and it"s gone overnight.

Comment from: mom2jokay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I began getting impetigo when I was five years old. Back then, my parents were instructed to wash my face with a wash cloth soaked in boiling water to soften and break open the blisters. Then they cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol. Finally, they put on some type of antibiotic cream. It was torture for me. It took both of my parents to do this. My mom did the work and my dad held me down. Years later, upon changing doctors, they learned that it would clear up with just not touching the area except to apply the antibiotic cream with a cotton swab. I still get it now, but I can usually get it cleared with Neosporin within 2-3 days. Luckily, I've not passed it to my children.

Comment from: CH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was prescribed Fucidin cream. As a child I would sometimes get impetigo always in the same spot under my nose. Back then I would just use Neosporin to heal it. I am now 43 and also got it a few years ago in the same spot.

Comment from: Brian, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I've had recurring impetigo for a few years now, mainly on my chin, though I've had a sore or two on my thighs. This latest episode manifested after a bit of sleep deprivation (work nights) and a lot of stress (moving soon to another state). I got about 20 very small scratches/wounds on the posterior or my hands. Days later, the wounds stopped healing on my hands and I noticed pimples on my chin -- impetigo! I reluctantly went to the doctor and was placed on the ointment and an oral antibiotic (doxycycline). It helps if you can keep your hands off the sores and if you can keep from bumping/rubbing the sores, which is tough with 15+ on the back or your hands! Due to slow healing, I went to my regular doctor (went to an clinic before this) and she cultured one of the hand wounds and placed me on clindamycin 450mg every 6 hours. I've been on the antibiotics for almost a week and my chin is fine, but the hand wounds are still healing. I really, really dislike impetigo.

Comment from: Lm/68, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

About 6 weeks ago I thought I got a mosquito bite, and like always it itched so I scratched and scratched. It has now spread to about an inch and 1/2 in size. I feel like I could claw it so hard I could take a knife and cut it down to the bone. It has never been anything except red with a little white dried skin around the little bites, my arm looks like I have some hives all the way down to my wrist. I can hardly stand the itch. Since I waited until now to go to the doctor he really didn't know what it was but gave me some antibiotics.

Comment from: danishandcoffee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have had this crap on my face now for about five years now. I have tried everything to get rid of it. I've tried so many different antibiotics, etc. It never goes away. Just when you think the last one has gone, another one takes its place. Then yesterday I read somewhere about putting peroxide on them. So I thought I will give this a go as I will try anything at this point. So yesterday every time I thought of it I put peroxide on the sores on my face and this morning I cannot believe my eyes, it has all but gone. It does sting a bit but so worth it. It's the clearest my face has been in so long. I just wanted to share my results to all you impetigo sufferers and I hope it works for you.

Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.