Patient Comments: Impetigo - Treatment

What was the treatment for your impetigo?

Comment from: school blew, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I have had impetigo since I was 4, almost always on my bottom lip, four to eight times a year. As I got older, I discovered ChapStick! Now I only get a breakout once every three or four months. Once it scabs over, I take a hot shower before I have to be somewhere. Besides being a little red, it makes it a lot less noticeable. I also have a strange feeling that I usually have a breakout after having orange juice or apple juice.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I had a sore inside my nose. I thought I scratched the inside of it. Within a day or so, it spread throughout both nostrils and in my right eye. I had very painful scabs. I was treated for impetigo with an antibiotic and steroid medication for 10 days.

Comment from: Hadassah, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 16

My son has impetigo, and it's already over a month. I already gave him three rounds of oral antibiotic medications and Vitamin C prescribed by the doctor. At first it seems to get clear but after three days it gets back again, what should I do? I'm tired of these trial and error meds, because I have no more money to buy a medicine for such a nonsense and useless meds. My heart is always broken every time I see my 1 year old baby suffering with this skin disease.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

When I start feeling the tingling, I use mupirocin ointment, but when the blisters appear, I clean the area with a wet cloth to remove as many blisters as possible, and then apply the ointment. It usually takes about 3 days before I start seeing the effect.

Comment from: BASO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am a 54 year old female. I don't know how I got it but it is horrible. I have had it for about 3 weeks now. I was first diagnosed with roscea. Then with impetigo (staph). I am taking antibiotics and ointment to put in my nose. It is not clearing up and I have only 3 days left of meds.

Comment from: BunnyO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Heracillin (a type of penicillin) works great. Only problems are fears that the infection trigger (which can be either staph or strep) could be antibiotic resistant.

Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.