Patient Comments: Impetigo - Treatment

What was the treatment for your impetigo?

Comment from: Aussie 23YO, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

Hey I have the same symptoms as the previous person. A small cut on my ear then swollen glands, 2 days later I noted a couple of spots on my neck. I have some acne style marks on my face that didn't seem to be healing, odd, each day the spots doubled in area and I was given antibiotics by a doctors, then a few days later went to hospital and they gave me an odd selection off drugs and still didn't diagnose it correctly. Yesterday I went to my local doc and he said it was Impetigo. The dots on my neck are still really bad covering 80% or so. I am on a heavy course of penicillin and there is currently no change. I also have noticed the marks appearing on my hands and wrists. Every time I touch anything I use anti bacterial hand sanitizer. Hope this goes away before I get fired .

Comment from: Lm/68, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

About 6 weeks ago I thought I got a mosquito bite, and like always it itched so I scratched and scratched. It has now spread to about an inch and 1/2 in size. I feel like I could claw it so hard I could take a knife and cut it down to the bone. It has never been anything except red with a little white dried skin around the little bites, my arm looks like I have some hives all the way down to my wrist. I can hardly stand the itch. Since I waited until now to go to the doctor he really didn't know what it was but gave me some antibiotics.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Within a week, after I have gotten over a bad cold or a long bout with allergy problems, my face broke out with six or so red, aggravated-looking bumps. I know it has to be associated with my immune system being so low. I used to get fever blisters after a cold, but now I get the bumps on my face. They vary in size and pop up at different intervals. While one is nearly healed – oops there's another – and then the next day another one, etc. I've left them alone and they don't get better. I have to stick a sterilized needle in them, get some pus and clear liquid out and then put Bactroban on it with an adhesive bandage. In the morning, the pus has been pulled to the top and I have to get this out. I have to do this anywhere from one to three times daily. It finally heals and I don't have to deal with it until the next immune-lowering sickness. I, too, am embarrassed by having to go out in public with this on my face, but I have to go to work.

Comment from: robinofsher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am in my 50's and every year I get a case of impetigo usually associated with a cold, starting in the nose area. When I first feel the itch I start putting the antibiotic Mupirocin ointment on. I have learned that the triple anti-biotic ointment seems to spread. It seems like there is something in it that it likes. It usually cleans up after a week. The trick is to catch it early.

Comment from: Jess, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I am 14 years old. I noticed some flakey skin on my ear, then 2 days after it was the size of a 50 cent coin, and was bright red with a blister in the middle. It looked like a burn. It was unbelievably painful. The next day I found the same thing on my mouth. Now it has spread to my chin and nostrel. It is so contagious and so painful. I do not go to school, or to work. It spreads just like that. The doctor gave me Flucloxacillin antibiotics, they aren't helping me though.

Comment from: Mer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

The only thing that helps me with impetigo is an antibiotic called Augmentin. I only get impetigo if I have a wound of some sort, like surgery or an ear piercing -- something like that. I just had some skin tags removed from my face and sure enough, I'm battling a case right now. Augmentin is the only thing that helps. Neosporin or any ointment makes it worse because the area needs to dry out. I'm on the tail end and hope it's gone soon.

Comment from: TC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Years ago I contracted impetigo from another child and was given penicillin shots three times per week to start and then daily for what seemed like weeks. After I developed an allergic reaction to the penicillin, my Mom took me to a doctor who specialized in dermatology. He painted my skin with an iodine solution and put me under ultra-violet-ray lamps. I had relief immediately! Within a week, my symptoms had subsided and I was able to return to school two weeks later.

Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.