Patient Comments: Impetigo - Treatment

What was the treatment for your impetigo?

Comment from: robinofsher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am in my 50's and every year I get a case of impetigo usually associated with a cold, starting in the nose area. When I first feel the itch I start putting the antibiotic Mupirocin ointment on. I have learned that the triple anti-biotic ointment seems to spread. It seems like there is something in it that it likes. It usually cleans up after a week. The trick is to catch it early.

Comment from: Jess, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I am 14 years old. I noticed some flakey skin on my ear, then 2 days after it was the size of a 50 cent coin, and was bright red with a blister in the middle. It looked like a burn. It was unbelievably painful. The next day I found the same thing on my mouth. Now it has spread to my chin and nostrel. It is so contagious and so painful. I do not go to school, or to work. It spreads just like that. The doctor gave me Flucloxacillin antibiotics, they aren't helping me though.

Comment from: Mer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

The only thing that helps me with impetigo is an antibiotic called Augmentin. I only get impetigo if I have a wound of some sort, like surgery or an ear piercing -- something like that. I just had some skin tags removed from my face and sure enough, I'm battling a case right now. Augmentin is the only thing that helps. Neosporin or any ointment makes it worse because the area needs to dry out. I'm on the tail end and hope it's gone soon.

Comment from: TC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Years ago I contracted impetigo from another child and was given penicillin shots three times per week to start and then daily for what seemed like weeks. After I developed an allergic reaction to the penicillin, my Mom took me to a doctor who specialized in dermatology. He painted my skin with an iodine solution and put me under ultra-violet-ray lamps. I had relief immediately! Within a week, my symptoms had subsided and I was able to return to school two weeks later.

Comment from: school blew, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I have had impetigo since I was 4, almost always on my bottom lip, four to eight times a year. As I got older, I discovered ChapStick! Now I only get a breakout once every three or four months. Once it scabs over, I take a hot shower before I have to be somewhere. Besides being a little red, it makes it a lot less noticeable. I also have a strange feeling that I usually have a breakout after having orange juice or apple juice.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I had a sore inside my nose. I thought I scratched the inside of it. Within a day or so, it spread throughout both nostrils and in my right eye. I had very painful scabs. I was treated for impetigo with an antibiotic and steroid medication for 10 days.

Comment from: Hadassah, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 16

My son has impetigo, and it's already over a month. I already gave him three rounds of oral antibiotic medications and Vitamin C prescribed by the doctor. At first it seems to get clear but after three days it gets back again, what should I do? I'm tired of these trial and error meds, because I have no more money to buy a medicine for such a nonsense and useless meds. My heart is always broken every time I see my 1 year old baby suffering with this skin disease.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

When I start feeling the tingling, I use mupirocin ointment, but when the blisters appear, I clean the area with a wet cloth to remove as many blisters as possible, and then apply the ointment. It usually takes about 3 days before I start seeing the effect.

Comment from: BASO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am a 54 year old female. I don't know how I got it but it is horrible. I have had it for about 3 weeks now. I was first diagnosed with roscea. Then with impetigo (staph). I am taking antibiotics and ointment to put in my nose. It is not clearing up and I have only 3 days left of meds.

Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.