Patient Comments: Impetigo - Treatment

What was the treatment for your impetigo?

Comment from: CH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was prescribed Fucidin cream. As a child I would sometimes get impetigo always in the same spot under my nose. Back then I would just use Neosporin to heal it. I am now 43 and also got it a few years ago in the same spot.

Comment from: Brian, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I've had recurring impetigo for a few years now, mainly on my chin, though I've had a sore or two on my thighs. This latest episode manifested after a bit of sleep deprivation (work nights) and a lot of stress (moving soon to another state). I got about 20 very small scratches/wounds on the posterior or my hands. Days later, the wounds stopped healing on my hands and I noticed pimples on my chin -- impetigo! I reluctantly went to the doctor and was placed on the ointment and an oral antibiotic (doxycycline). It helps if you can keep your hands off the sores and if you can keep from bumping/rubbing the sores, which is tough with 15+ on the back or your hands! Due to slow healing, I went to my regular doctor (went to an clinic before this) and she cultured one of the hand wounds and placed me on clindamycin 450mg every 6 hours. I've been on the antibiotics for almost a week and my chin is fine, but the hand wounds are still healing. I really, really dislike impetigo.

Comment from: danishandcoffee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have had this crap on my face now for about five years now. I have tried everything to get rid of it. I've tried so many different antibiotics, etc. It never goes away. Just when you think the last one has gone, another one takes its place. Then yesterday I read somewhere about putting peroxide on them. So I thought I will give this a go as I will try anything at this point. So yesterday every time I thought of it I put peroxide on the sores on my face and this morning I cannot believe my eyes, it has all but gone. It does sting a bit but so worth it. It's the clearest my face has been in so long. I just wanted to share my results to all you impetigo sufferers and I hope it works for you.

Comment from: cc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

4 months with Impetigo. Diagnosed by a quick glance by my A.R.N.P it was severe. I was just given a steroid cream by another doctor who said it isn't Impetigo now. Or maybe he meant never. I don't know. I have scars on my face and a divot scar the size of a dime he said would take cosmetic surgery. I'm Broke and depressed/embarrassed. I had gone to the R.N 4 times and she said that the Bactrim should have worked, but just keep putting the prescription ointment on it. I still don't know what I have and am scarred in 4 places on my face. Oh and the doctor I saw was the same practice, I only got to see him (for something else, but my face was his concern) She was out of the office. He looked VERY disturbed when I explained my 'nontreatment.'

Comment from: neo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

As soon as I feel it tingling I can kill it right away by using rubbing alcohol and then Neosporin ointment, but if it's already blistered then that will spread it even more, so at that point I use Neosporin ointment throughout the next few days until it dies. I have taken antibiotics when I was a child, and that seem to keep it at bay. I have had it throughout my life. It seems to live in my nose area. I am 41 now and had since I was 1. Also I can tell you that I transmit it through sex, even though I myself do not get it in the vaginal area my husband does. It is not herpes. I have been checked for that with blood work.

Comment from: omgbananas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I recently developed impetigo on my ankle. At first, I thought it was a bug bite but after a few days it spread to my left ankle and entire backside of my right leg (at first I thought it was chiggers so I used Chigarid on it, this caused it to spread much faster). My ankle swelled to about the size of half a baseball and I developed bullous impetigo. I went to the doctor and they gave me a topical cream, antibiotics, and an antiseptic wash. It then spread to my arms as regular impetigo. It is in the crook of my arm and there are big red sores all over my arms. I look like a zombie! My ankle (which has the bullous impetigo looks like lizard skin. My back legs look like I was burned with acid too. It is very depressing because I feel like a monster. Thank goodness it is getting better, but slowly. I think it all came about from a spider bite, but I have no idea what kind as I did not see it bite me. Do not put any of the affected area on your unaffected skin as it will spread!! Wash all sheets and towels daily. I showered and took a bleach bath each day. The bleach bath is excellent but use lukewarm water so your skin will not dry out!

Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Impetigo - Causes Question: If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?
Impetigo - Contagious Setting Question: Did someone in your household catch impetigo from a highly contagious setting? Share your experience.