Image Collection: Oral Health
- All (557)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
16. Picture of Tonsil Stones
Tonsil stones (also called tonsilloliths) form when bacteria and mucus get trapped and calcify in your tonsils' nooks and crannies, leaving a hard piece of matter and a bad taste in your throat. Although those bad smelling lumps can be uncomfortable, they usually are harmless.
Image Source: Greg Ceo / Stone+ / Getty Images, (inset: Dr P. Marazzi / Photo Researchers, Inc.
Text: "Tonsil Stones: Treatment and Prevention", WebMD Medical Reference
Guide to understanding the Image Collection categories:
Oral Health Resources
- What to Do About Teeth Grinding
- Eww! What's Living In Your Mouth?
- How to Spot the Signs of Gum Disease