Picture of Second Trimester (16 Weeks)
- Muscle tissue and bone continue to form, creating a more complete skeleton.
- Skin begins to form. You can nearly see through it.
- Meconium (mih-KOH-nee-uhm) develops in your baby's intestinal tract. This will be your baby's first bowel movement.
- Your baby makes sucking motions with the mouth (sucking reflex).
- Your baby reaches a length of about 4 to 5 inches and weighs almost 3 ounces.
Reviewed by William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR on August 21, 2009
Image Source: Nestle / Petit Format / Photo Researchers, Inc.
Text: Womenshealth.gov - Healthy Pregnancy: Stages of Pregnancy