Picture of Rash from Poisonous Plants
Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are plants that contain an irritating, oily sap called urushiol. Urushiol triggers an allergic reaction when it comes into contact with skin, resulting in an itchy rash, which can appear within hours of exposure or up to several days later. A person can be exposed to urushiol directly or by touching objects -- such as gardening tools, camping equipment and even a pet's fur -- that have come into contact with the sap of one of the poison plants.
The rash that results from the poison plants is a form of allergic contact dermatitis. (Dermatitis is swelling and irritation of the skin.) Skin is not automatically sensitive to urushiol. Sensitivity builds up after the skin is exposed to the substance. When initially exposed to urushiol, the skin alerts the immune system of the presence of the irritating chemical. (Usually, no visible reaction will occur the first time a person comes in contact with a poison plant.) The immune system then prepares a defensive reaction for the next time the skin encounters the substance. This sensitizes the skin so that new contact with urushiol causes an allergic reaction.
Image reprinted with permission from eMedicine.com, 2009
Text: "Allergies: Poison Plant Allergies: Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac", WebMD Medical Reference provided in collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic