Image Collection: Viral Skin Diseases
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
6. Picture of Herpes Zoster
Get the Latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!
Herpes zoster: Also called shingles, zona, and zoster. The culprit is the varicella-zoster virus. Primary infection with this virus causes chickenpox (varicella). At this time the virus infects nerves (namely, the dorsal root ganglia) where it remains latent (lies low) for years. It can then be reactivated to cause shingles with blisters over the distribution of the affected nerve accompanied by often intense pain and itching. Herpes zoster is more frequent with increasing age. Vaccination against Herpes zoster is recommended for all adults age 60 and older to prevent or decrease the severity of future episodes of this painful condition.
Text: MedTerms.com. Herpes zoster.
Guide to understanding the Image Collection categories: