Picture of First Trimester (8 Weeks)
- All major organs and external body structures have begun to form.
- Your baby's heart beats with a regular rhythm.
- The arms and legs grow longer, and fingers and toes have begun to form.
- The sex organs begin to form.
- The eyes have moved forward on the face and eyelids have formed.
- The umbilical cord is clearly visible.
- At the end of 8 weeks, your baby is a fetus and looks more like a human. Your baby is nearly 1 inch long and weighs less than 1/8 of an ounce.
Reviewed by William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR on August 21, 2009
Image Source: Copyright © Scott Camazine / Phototake -- All rights reserved.
Text: Womenshealth.gov - Healthy Pregnancy: Stages of Pregnancy