Patient Comments: Iliotibial Band Syndrome - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with iliotibial band syndrome?

Comment from: lacyhmp3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My iliotibial band syndrome symptoms began at night. I would wake up with severe pain in my hip area. It would be very painful at night and in the mornings. Once I loosened up during the day the pain was not so bad. My chiropractor suggested I use a rolling pin two to three times a day on my thigh muscle to keep it stretched out. It seems to be working.

Comment from: Sivaram, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

With iliotibial band syndrome I have sharp pain in buttocks along with hip pain radiating to the thighs. I am suffering from pain in both buttocks, it started with left and later on right also.

Comment from: Entlover, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My iliotibial band syndrome started gradually, as I had an injury 3 years ago that affected my gait. One foot is turned in and has poor sensation. It began with weakness in the affected leg, progressed to swelling and pain around the knee, and then swelling spread to the whole leg. I saw a doctor, who diagnosed iliotibial band syndrome and prescribed physical therapy. I'm having cramps in my calf now, maybe due to lack of exercise. Pretty painful, but Aleve helps. The doctor says prognosis is good for recovery.

Comment from: Symptoms, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

With iliotibial band syndrome pain is waking me at night while lying on both affected and unaffected side.

Comment from: SarahG_OT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

There was a sudden onset of symptoms. I woke up at 5 a.m. and realized the lateral portion of my left knee was very stiff and painful. I thought the pain was more localized at a tibial insertion point, but then I realized the pain was also noted when palpating higher up the leg, which led me to ITBS instead of a lower-leg muscle tendon inflammation. The pain was worse when the knee was extended fully when walking, as well as worse in the morning. The pain lessened with Advil and moderate walking/movement throughout my workday. I hope it subsides soon!

Comment from: TOSCA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have been diagnosed with IT (iliotibial) band syndrome. I have had two steroid injections (once it as thought to be bursitis). The first injection did nothing to ease the pain. The second injection was directed to the IT band and was successful in relieving the pain. Unfortunately I am a pusher and after a couple days I walked a mile and also rode for 20 minutes twice on my bike. The walk brought the pain back and it has not left since. I see a physiotherapist soon.

Comment from: jbaker, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I have had iliotibial (IT) band syndrome for 5 months and the doctor tells my IT band will never heal itself ever.

Iliotibial Band Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: How was your IT band syndrome diagnosed?
Iliotibial Band Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your IT band syndrome?
Iliotibial Band Syndrome - Exercises Question: What exercises and/or stretches did your doctor or physical therapist recommend?