Patient Comments: Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura - Treatments

Question:What treatment has been effective for your idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura?

Comment from: KEH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had splenectomy for my idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. I was 60 years old and low on the forecast statistics, but it worked. Three years prior, I had treatment with diet and prednisone that did not help.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: June 01

When I was first diagnosed with ITP, it was after a blood test. My platelet count was at 5,000. I was given a bone marrow aspiration and put on 75mg of prednisone daily. Every time they tried to wean me down from the prednisone, my platelets would fall. I took the medicine for six months, and then they did a splenectomy. That was 11 years ago. My platelets have always stayed in the 300-400,000 range but are now at 420,000 so they are keeping an eye on that. When I get sick, I go to the doctor. I also get a flu shot every year to stay healthy.

Comment from: Donna, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

When I had ITP I had my spleen removed which cured it.

Comment from: Shades133, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had ITP 20 years ago. I had all of the standard tests and treatments. After my spleen was removed I returned to normal. Since then, I've had three children. My 3-year-old son now has ITP. I am curious if any research has been done about inheriting the chance of developing ITP.

Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)?
Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of ITP in you or your child?