Patient Comments: ICU Psychosis - Treatment

What types of treatment, including therapy and medication, were used for an ICU psychosis in you or a relative?

Comment from: miki_p, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I underwent open thorax surgery to repair a congenital heart defect and the day after surgery experienced an episode of severe paranoia or ICU psychosis where I demanded that the surgeon administer my medications as I thought the nursing staff was trying to poison me because I reported a nursing error (actual error but minor). The episode resolved itself after 4 or 5 hours.

ICU Psychosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you or someone you know experience with an ICU psychosis? How long did they last?