Patient Comments: Hysteroscopy - Patient Experience

Did you undergo a hysteroscopy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had a hysteroscopy and D and C today in an outpatient setting. I had general anesthesia and woke up from the procedure with mild cramping and a light blood flow. I am following home instructions and getting along fine with some ibuprofen. I had a uterine polyp removed. Not much to it.

Comment from: Marigold, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 25

It was my first hysteroscopy/myomectomy, no previous general anesthesia except at delivery decades earlier. I was terrified. I had no need for any pain medicines. I was given a mild tranquillizer and an unpleasant-tasting Alka Seltzer like drink to ward off nausea. Injected Versed was so effective I don't even recall the classical music the doctors played for me in the operation room (though maybe that's the reason for such an easy recovery). The only pain was first voiding. Advice to all is, stand up to go to the bathroom (which you should do in public facilities, anyway). That eliminated the burning sensation.

Comment from: aries, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had a hysteroscopy done recently at the hospital by my professional. I had an excellent experience starting with the pre-operation and after the procedure. All I had was some vaginal bleeding which did not last more than a day. I was given orders to follow up after and that is very important to do. I hope this will help other people and I wish them well. Thank you for this opportunity.

Comment from: H.W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a hysteroscopy and a dilation and curettage performed yesterday at the hospital. I had no cramping and the bleeding stopped by the time I was at home. I have been told by friends to stay off my feet for a few days and will take their advice.

Comment from: summer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was given spinal anesthesia for my hysteroscopy. I didn't feel anything during the surgery. I was given pain killer after the surgery. Doctor had removed a polyp as well. My concern is that I am still having discharge of fluids mixed with blood even after a passing 15 days since the surgery.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I found this procedure of hysteroscopy excruciating. If I'd known how painful it was going to be, I would have had a general anesthetic. I'm not soft and am in constant pain from various health conditions, so this was really unexpected. I was given gas and air, but it didn't help much. I cramped really badly for some time afterwards and wasn't allowed to leave the department until this had settled. I was given a Voltarol pessary after the procedure to help with the cramps. One of the worst experiences of my life. I would advise being put out.

Comment from: jenfnp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

My hysteroscopy was done as an outpatient hospital procedure. Pre-op preparation for surgery was more bothersome than the procedure itself. I had some significant cramping in the recovery room, but it went away quickly. I was using only NSAID for couple of days after for pain. Pain is mostly uterine cramping and slight back pain. Bleeding stopped on second day.

Comment from: ladydirealtor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I just underwent a hysteroscopy and was extremely anxious and stressed about it. Just to reassure anyone who will be having this, I woke up with no pain, the mildest of cramps and felt fine. I had a large fibroid removed. It was so much easier than I imagined. Don't be worried about the procedure.

Comment from: Hopeful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I felt no pain. The hysteroscopy was done in the doctor's office, I wasn"t put asleep. Hours later I started to feel sick with cramping, had vaginal bleeding and pain in my stomach. The bottom of my stomach felt heavy and painful, but I have 6 fibroids.