Patient Comments: Hysteroscopy - Patient Experience

Did you undergo a hysteroscopy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Vero, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had a hysteroscopy (outpatient procedure) done to remove my IUD (intrauterine device) which had lost its strings and was misplaced. I was put into general anesthesia and only had a mild cramping as well as a small blood loss (period like) upon waking up. I was a bit nervous as it was my first hospital procedure but the staff was really friendly and managed to put me at ease.

Comment from: Annie T, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

My hysteroscopy procedure was entirely painless. I have a very high pain tolerance and carried on a conversation with the nurse during the whole procedure without feeling anything. The consultant had to dilate my cervix, twice, because it had narrowed over time. In the end, because I have a retroverted uterus, she couldn't reach the site and I now have to go under general anesthesia. My concern is that two weeks after the procedure, I'm needing to wear two pads a day. I have discharge mixed with blood, probably from damaging the cervix during the procedure. Hopefully the operation will put it right.

Comment from: Lindalue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had hysteroscopy. I had a bit of mild pain when they first went in, after that the pain felt like a really bad period and you feel you want to push, and then I had to go toilet. After bowel movement I felt a lot better. I also had mild bleeding for a couple of days.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had a hysteroscopy and D and C today in an outpatient setting. I had general anesthesia and woke up from the procedure with mild cramping and a light blood flow. I am following home instructions and getting along fine with some ibuprofen. I had a uterine polyp removed. Not much to it.

Comment from: Marigold, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 25

It was my first hysteroscopy/myomectomy, no previous general anesthesia except at delivery decades earlier. I was terrified. I had no need for any pain medicines. I was given a mild tranquillizer and an unpleasant-tasting Alka Seltzer like drink to ward off nausea. Injected Versed was so effective I don't even recall the classical music the doctors played for me in the operation room (though maybe that's the reason for such an easy recovery). The only pain was first voiding. Advice to all is, stand up to go to the bathroom (which you should do in public facilities, anyway). That eliminated the burning sensation.

Comment from: aries, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had a hysteroscopy done recently at the hospital by my professional. I had an excellent experience starting with the pre-operation and after the procedure. All I had was some vaginal bleeding which did not last more than a day. I was given orders to follow up after and that is very important to do. I hope this will help other people and I wish them well. Thank you for this opportunity.

Comment from: H.W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a hysteroscopy and a dilation and curettage performed yesterday at the hospital. I had no cramping and the bleeding stopped by the time I was at home. I have been told by friends to stay off my feet for a few days and will take their advice.

Comment from: summer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was given spinal anesthesia for my hysteroscopy. I didn't feel anything during the surgery. I was given pain killer after the surgery. Doctor had removed a polyp as well. My concern is that I am still having discharge of fluids mixed with blood even after a passing 15 days since the surgery.