- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Menopause Quiz
- What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Hysteroscopy - Patient Experience
- Find a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
- Hysteroscopy is the visualization of the inside of the uterine cavity by inserting special visualization instruments through the vagina and cervical opening.
- Hysteroscopy can be carried out to aid in diagnosis or to perform minor surgical procedures.
- In many cases hysteroscopy can be performed as an outpatient (same-day) surgical procedure.
- Complications of hysteroscopy are rare. The most commonly reported complication is perforation of the uterus.
What is hysteroscopy?
This procedure is a minimally invasive surgical procedure for viewing the inside of the uterus. Hysteroscopy is performed by inserting a visualizing scope through the vagina and into the cervical opening. Hysteroscopy allows visualization of the inside of the uterus, including the openings to the Fallopian tubes, as well as direct examination of the cervix, cervical canal, and vagina.