Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Lisa J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy (TLH) and tubes removed on 4/25/2016. I was up and around the next day. I returned to work 4/29/2016. I'm exercising and back to normal, no pain from the incisions, no soreness, no bleeding. I'm so glad how it worked out for me! I have my 6 week follow up on 6/11/2016.

Comment from: alexis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

It has been a month ago since my total abdominal hysterectomy. I am now in the office and doing my usual errand except lifting and taking stairs for walking. Both my ovaries are saved but I will not have a monthly period starting after the operation. Due to huge myoma, I don't have any options other than the said operation. I think, the important thing is your readiness emotionally about the effect after the operation. It is much better to research and read about the possible operation as well as options from the other doctors, but ultrasound will tell you the truth. Now, after the operation, I am happy to know that the result of the histopathology (mass taken out) is negative from any cancer. I am so fortunate to be given a chance to live longer. Happy journey to all of you and best of luck to us who have undergone the same surgery.

Comment from: slcmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

This is one week post total laparoscopic hysterectomy and bilateral salpingectomy, and I am feeling amazing! Post-surgery pain was non-existent, I was up and moving an hour after I was moved to my room and checked out of the hospital 5 hours later. Urinating took some skill (lots of leaning forward then leaning back, then forward, and back) until I was empty but that was fully resolved by the end of day 2. I am stunned by how much more balanced and healthy I feel now that it is done. Three generation of family history of uterus problems followed by hysterectomies (and validated by the pathology report post-surgery; glad to have that thing out). I'm wondering why I waited so long to have it done!

Comment from: Lululee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had my laparoscopic total hysterectomy (removal of uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and right ovary) on 2/26. Prior to this I was having terrible periods (even at age 61. I had my last period the week before my surgery). So far post-operation has been what I expected. Pain has not been too bad. I try to walk a little further every day and can usually feel it if I've been a little too active. I am trying to balance being active enough to help my recovery but not doing too much to delay it. I am not feeling well enough to be bored yet but getting there. I put in to take 4 weeks off of work but hoping to go back after 3.

Comment from: MinnieGem, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 10 days in after having laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy, with a cyst removed from my bladder and my bladder lifted and put back into place. I've had pain, bleeding on and off, and a foul smell from the blood in my pad. I tore a stitch just by sitting down to urinate, and severe constipation (which is moving better now after taking a laxative). I have energized days and no energy days, and I'm finding myself very emotional. I'm lost and I don't know what to do. I had help my first few days home but my partner has since gone back to work and I have to fend for myself for meals. I was in the hospital for 3 days after surgery, I kind of wish I stayed there.

Comment from: Young at heart, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on 4/22/16, one week and 3 days ago. I felt better than ever for a full week but after I saw how messy my house was I tried to clean it and cook. Now I am hurting again. I was in bed for a good 3 days and then I had to help out with household chores.

Comment from: DorothyConyersga, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with a cystectomy on February 10, 2016. I had a herniated ovarian cyst and my intrauterine device wasn't in the right place. I just got my 18 staples removed on the 23. I am healing pretty good, still sore but am feeling better. Much better now that the staples are gone. I feel things will be much better for me now. I was tired of all of the pain I was having. I give two thumbs up to my doctor. To all of the women out there who have to have a hysterectomy done, don't be afraid. There's nothing to it. I had it done, you can too.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?