Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: AJ, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

I had a total hysterectomy at age 27. I had endometriosis, multiple cyst on both ovaries, and malignant cells in my uterus. I wasn't put on any type of hormone therapy, which has caused me plenty of issues with my bones and my joints. It is too late I am told to reverse the damage done due to this surgery. I am on Reclast, vitamin D and vitamin shots every month.

Comment from: debtravels, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am 2 weeks post-surgery. I had full radical robotic assisted hysterectomy. I had surgery a month prior to remove fibroid tumors and the pathology revealed uterine cancer, stage 1. Hysterectomy seemed to go fine, I came home the same night. Felt ill the next day and figured it was just post-surgery effects. Day 3 I felt worse, abdominal cramping and couldn't keep even a sip of water down. I returned to the hospital emergency room and was admitted for bowel obstruction and a hernia that developed in small intestines. I waited till day 5 and then they did surgery for both issues. I was released day 6 in the evening but had a terrible bacterial infection. I am beginning to feel normal but I have a couple of symptoms that I haven't seen anyone else write about. I have crazy itching around my vaginal area and a bit of dripping of urine, and I can't really control it.

Comment from: RM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I was told in December that I had a fibroid the size of a bowling ball and needed to have a hysterectomy and that I could wait until August to have it done. I went to my gynecologist to arrange the surgery. The doctor performed a pelvic exam and found my cervix was totally closed and scheduled me for a hysteroscopy, D and C, biopsy of the cervix and biopsy of the endometrium. The doctor told me that he did this routinely to make sure he wasn't getting into something unexpected and would like to take a look around. When I came out of recovery I was told that I was being held for 23 hour observation and that my doctor had ordered an oncology consult. I didn't sleep for the next 24 hours. It totally scared me to death. The oncologist finally came to see me to let me know that I had a cyst on my ovary along with the fibroids we knew were already there. I was given the option at that time to have a hysterectomy the following day since I was already in the hospital. Everything went well with the hysterectomy and the oncologist was a great help with the decision for the radical abdominal hysterectomy. I am now on week 3 of recovery and I am feeling a little better every day. I get tired easily and hardly have any pain in my abdomen. At this point I think the sutures in my vagina are healing. My abdomen is numb on the outside and I will not be able to drive for another 4 weeks.

Comment from: Blackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am 2 weeks to the day post vaginal hysterectomy, everything removed except ovaries, with anterior and posterior repairs. With the exception of soreness at the site and back ache (I'm a caregiver so this is ongoing), I'm actually doing pretty good. A few Advil only when needed. Diet has played an important part in my healing (vitamin supplements, high fiber, a lot less meat, lots of vegetables, no junk and lots of water). I'm glad I prepared prior and have kept up since. I was very physically active before so I currently modified my exercise routine with lots of walking. It seems to really be helping. I truly feel diet is essential on the road to recovery.

Comment from: car99, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am 5 days out from a vaginal hysterectomy and I have more back pain than anything. I have no vaginal bleeding. I still tire easy and need to rest but am back doing laundry and everything else. I had a total hysterectomy, meaning ovaries also.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?