Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Frat59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 5/7/14 almost a month ago. My stomach is still sore and strangely it is peeling; like a sun burn! I'm tired and want to be back to being me! Okay, so reality is I'm thinking another month and I may be able to sit, lay down or get out of a car without wincing. My incision isn't as sore as the ridge of skin that sits above it! I hope that shrinks! Good news is I lost about 7 lb. Who knows what's ahead of me without all my lady parts! Wishing all my fellow hysterectomy sisters a speedy recovery!

Comment from: mcb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I'm 8 days post-surgery from a vaginal hysterectomy. For the most part I feel fine. I still have pain where I"m assuming are the stitches inside. And it hurts when I urinate. I go to my post operation appointment Monday June 2nd. I have a lot of gas and diarrhea.

Comment from: laura68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 9 days post operation from a total hysterectomy. I had vaginal/laparoscopic removal. They left the ovaries, took everything else. I spent one night in the hospital as I always seem to have a rough time with anesthesia. I"m getting okay. I"m not 100%, but I"m getting better every day. I do find myself getting tired easily. I hope I get my energy back soon. My laparoscopic incisions are healing nicely, but I have large bruises around each incision. I do have minimal pain and haven't stopped pain medications yet. I"m so thankful my husband took a couple weeks of vacation to help me out.

Comment from: angel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a total hysterectomy with an incision 7 inches horizontally on 4-22-14. I was sent home 48 hours after surgery. I am in the same amount of pain as before I left the hospital. I was sent home with pain killers and Motrin. Before I had this done I had a D&C ablation done before Christmas. I am part of the 20% that it didn"t work on, so I am grateful to have had this surgery. I can barely walk, just to the bathroom and to bed, that's about it. To sit up it hurts. To get up and down it hurts. I know it is going to take some time to feel better but I hope it happens soon.

Comment from: Becca, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My mom had a hysterectomy in the fall of 2013 and she still has excessive drainage and discharge from her vaginal area. Just last few days she has had bleeding there as well. She has had a slight infection before and after the surgery. The doctors have prescribed her at least 3 or 4 medications for her infection and none of them has worked. She has never seen the doctor who performed the surgery afterwards. I am currently trying to find her another doctor.

Comment from: seductive, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 21

It is almost 2 years since I had a hysterectomy, and I still get a lot of pain where the incision began. It still is swollen there, I have been to the doctor and doing some tests to find out why.

Comment from: TB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 5 days post vaginal hysterectomy and still have my ovaries and tubes. The extreme gas and constipation have been the worst these first few days. Stool softeners didn"t help. What has helped make all the difference is watching my food intake. Little meat, more fruits and vegetables. Warm prune juice, warm lemon water, ginger tea for digestion, and room temperature water. Once my bowels moved, I felt pretty good overall. I have some pelvic pain still but I"m taking Tylenol every 8 to 12 hours as needed.

Comment from: Jenjen40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had a full hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago. I"ve been feeling some pain on my lower left side, kind of like period cramps but worse. I never did anything about it. Today at my pain management the doctor was going over my MRI report of my sacrum (lower back) and it showed everything to be normal, but also found something interesting... a 16-mm left-sided structure likely representing an ovarian or para tubal cyst. I"m a little freaked out about this and my doctor seemed a little concerned as well.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?