Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Cute, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 6 weeks out from a full abdominal hysterectomy and feeling better. I'm glad I had this done, my body doesn't feel sluggish all the time. I'm more outgoing, more alive, and more me. I am so happy with this but I'm scared to have sex but in due time.

Comment from: Ali.B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I'm 52 and had a full abdominal hysterectomy 9 days ago. Reason for surgery, fibroids! One measured 7 cm and bled continuously causing chronic anemia, hospital stays, blood transfusions, etc. First 4 days post operation I didn't feel very good at all but I'm feeling much better now and I'm far more mobile. My scar is still very sore and tender and I find that I can't stand for too long but I'm able to do far more for myself now. It is vital to keep mobile but rest is equally as important. I ticked all the boxes for hormone replacement therapy so was lucky enough to be put on patches before leaving hospital. Emotionally I'm good and I'm looking forward to a better quality of life without the dreaded bleeding and feeling constantly tired and under the weather. Happy days.

Comment from: ACE 02, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had a total hysterectomy (abdominal). I was doing fine post operation for a month, then I started having problems with my bladder. I was having accidents, especially during the night. I would start urinating and would wet my pants between the bedroom and bathroom. Or during the day it would just happen without warning.

Comment from: Saunders, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I had a full hysterectomy, uterus, tubes, ovaries along with cervix removed, because of cancer, on January 19, 2017. It has been now nearly 1 month and staples and stitches are out but I have horrible pressure and sharp pain as if I was having an appendix attack except I have no appendix. I cannot lie on my sides as the pressure gets worse. I can't find and answers anywhere to tell me if this is at all normal. Oh yes, I also started with a yellowish discharge and now I am spotting off and on.

Comment from: Lanie, Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I am 44 years old and had a full hysterectomy 12 days ago (ovaries, fallopian tubes everything taken). The first 7 days after operation I felt good, no bleeding or spotting, etc. The last 2 or 3 days I have had awful tummy ache, spotting bleed, and generally I feel off. I am not sure why I feel like this now after a week of feeling ok.

Comment from: Sissy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and things were going good, but now I'm having headaches and my whole body hurts.

Comment from: Krissy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I have had a full hysterectomy on the 7th, almost two weeks and here I'm doing great. I lost 6 pounds, walking a little more. I sleep when I can.

Comment from: LB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago (December 15). I am 69 years old and had everything removed including some lymph nodes. My recovery as to incisions is ok but I am having pain when I have to move my bowels. I am taking stool softeners. I find it easier to go if I lean back on the toilet. No problem with urination, but pain if I try and strain to pass stools. I also have lost my appetite (not necessarily a bad thing). I sometimes experience slight nausea and have some depression; more than just the blues. My follow up is on January 3 with my surgeon and I'll ask her about these things. Good luck to the rest of you!

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?