Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Jenjen40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had a full hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago. I"ve been feeling some pain on my lower left side, kind of like period cramps but worse. I never did anything about it. Today at my pain management the doctor was going over my MRI report of my sacrum (lower back) and it showed everything to be normal, but also found something interesting... a 16-mm left-sided structure likely representing an ovarian or para tubal cyst. I"m a little freaked out about this and my doctor seemed a little concerned as well.

Comment from: aj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

This is day 13 after having a full radical abdominal hysterectomy after years of heavy debilitating periods, fibroids and endometriosis. I suffered bladder problems and infections, but now sorted, however cannot believe the pain on the right side of my scar. Doctors tell me it is nerve damage but no one else has mentioned this. I wonder if anyone else has suffered this. Generally I feel good although a little emotional and tired. Although it's early days I cannot wait to feel like a "new woman". Good luck to all you ladies going through the same.

Comment from: Patricia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy on March 17, I"m 39 years old. I had significant bloating and horrible pain on my left side which I still have. My doctor said the left side is where the grinder went through as my uterus and ovaries were three times the size. I"m going back to work on Monday but feel so exhausted. I don"t feel ready. I"ve been working from home all along.

Comment from: Shiella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a total hysterectomy through vaginal laparoscopy. It is my 11th day today and I am still taking it slowly. I feel pain in the lower part of my body but not too bad. I took extra strength Tylenol. The day of my surgery was Thursday morning. The next thing I knew it was 1:30 pm already. If the nurse did not wake me up I probably would have been still sound asleep. I felt okay did not feel any pain during the evening, I was walking and it helps loosen my cramps. My doctor encourages me to walk so that I won't develop blood clot. My worst day was the second day of my surgery, I felt so cold and was in pain. My tummy was bloated and I felt like a frog. I had a hard time sitting, every time I sat down I was stuck and couldn't get up. I was helpless. The good thing to happen was that I had bowel movement and I felt relieved. Through my experience I understood diet is very important, eating healthy foods is essential. Kale is very good to help you go and fresh ginger tea helps you pass gas. Walking here and there helps, just don't overdo it, listen to your body. Recently I am experiencing hot flash. I am 37 and my doctor said it was expected, I have menopausal symptoms overtime, in the middle of the night I was up because my clothes were wet. So far am doing okay, managing my up and down. I am not driving yet, I will try this week. I went already for grocery with my hubby, I always remind myself not to carry heavy stuff.

Comment from: trisha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Eleven days ago I had an abdominal radical hysterectomy due to large fibroids. They took the works, which I am pleased to say at my age is great. I am still very sore and have a bloated belly but can gently move around and get things done. My husband is a wonderful help. I was in a lot of pain when all this started in December 2013 and was so pleased when I had the operation as I knew I was on my way to the old me. Constipation is still a bit of a problem, so I just take a syrup twice a day until it is sorted. I am very tired so I figure two hours up and at it and two hours resting just about works out right for me. Lots of love and good luck to my many sisters out there from me here!

Comment from: kat123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

This is day 7 after a full abdominal hysterectomy and I have incredible pain on the right side of my scar. It is so painful it feels like my wound is tearing when I move. Everything else is brilliant though, I am very tired and weak, but feel much better already. I can"t wait for this to all be over.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?