Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: zefirah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago due to multiple and large fibroids. Everything was removed except for ovaries. I had complications during the surgery. My ureter was damaged, so I had a stent put in during the procedure which will be removed later. I had to go home with a catheter for a few days. In addition, the front of my upper thighs have been numb. I believe it is nerve damage that occurred during surgery. I had constipation during the first week post operation but put myself on a rigorous fiber/laxative regime and got it under control. I think my stitches are healing fine, I can walk a little more each day. I'm still having some pain and quite a bit of discomfort (some related to the stent) but gradually taking less pain medicine. I think the numbness in my thighs is gradually subsiding.

Comment from: Mrs. N J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had my hysterectomy on March 10, 2017. I am 47 years old and my surgery was necessary due to severe fibroids. My uterus and cervix were removed. My uterus weighed 3 lb. at removal and a fibroid the size of a grapefruit was peeled from my bladder. The surgery was the best thing I could have done! Other than post-surgery pain, I have had a great recovery. My incision is in my bikini line and I have minimal scarring. Since my surgery, I have been able to sleep all night without having to get up for bathroom. I owe my successful recovery to my gynecologist!

Comment from: Cute, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 6 weeks out from a full abdominal hysterectomy and feeling better. I'm glad I had this done, my body doesn't feel sluggish all the time. I'm more outgoing, more alive, and more me. I am so happy with this but I'm scared to have sex but in due time.

Comment from: Ali.B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I'm 52 and had a full abdominal hysterectomy 9 days ago. Reason for surgery, fibroids! One measured 7 cm and bled continuously causing chronic anemia, hospital stays, blood transfusions, etc. First 4 days post operation I didn't feel very good at all but I'm feeling much better now and I'm far more mobile. My scar is still very sore and tender and I find that I can't stand for too long but I'm able to do far more for myself now. It is vital to keep mobile but rest is equally as important. I ticked all the boxes for hormone replacement therapy so was lucky enough to be put on patches before leaving hospital. Emotionally I'm good and I'm looking forward to a better quality of life without the dreaded bleeding and feeling constantly tired and under the weather. Happy days.

Comment from: ACE 02, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had a total hysterectomy (abdominal). I was doing fine post operation for a month, then I started having problems with my bladder. I was having accidents, especially during the night. I would start urinating and would wet my pants between the bedroom and bathroom. Or during the day it would just happen without warning.

Comment from: Sissy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and things were going good, but now I'm having headaches and my whole body hurts.

Comment from: Saunders, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I had a full hysterectomy, uterus, tubes, ovaries along with cervix removed, because of cancer, on January 19, 2017. It has been now nearly 1 month and staples and stitches are out but I have horrible pressure and sharp pain as if I was having an appendix attack except I have no appendix. I cannot lie on my sides as the pressure gets worse. I can't find and answers anywhere to tell me if this is at all normal. Oh yes, I also started with a yellowish discharge and now I am spotting off and on.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?