Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: PainfreeinColorado, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 2 weeks to the day post laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy. I had everything except for both ovaries removed. I was suffering from severe pain (labor like) during my periods due to fibroid tumors. My uterus was the size of a 10 week pregnancy. I am in the healthcare field so I did lots of research as to what the other options were. The surgeon and hospital wanted the surgery performed. My surgeon told me that my uterus was covered with fibroid tumors inside and out with also a little endometriosis. I feel great! My incisions scarred over about 5 days post operation looking more like scratches than incisions. I wanted to move as soon as my surgeon allowed me to. I was up and walking about 20 hours after surgery. Keeping hydrated has been key to my speedy recovery and digestive health. I suffered from trapped gas pains for about 2 or 3 days post operation but once I started walking, it helped move my bowels. I have no pain, just a little tenderness where the uterus was removed. I am looking forward to no longer having periods and the pain I experienced prior to my hysterectomy.

Comment from: Tab, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 6 days post robotic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. My periods were unbearable and lasted for 8 to 10 days, with heavy bleeding and cramps that felt like early labor pains for at least 5 or 6 days. I would pass clots the size of golf balls and had to modify my life around my periods. I must say, the post-surgical pain is not as bad as my cramps were. I take 1 ibuprofen 600 as needed as opposed to several 800 and around the clock heating pads. I was able to keep my ovaries, and that's a good thing. They weren't able to do a biopsy, and wanted to do the D and C, but I already knew I wanted to proceed with the hysterectomy, so I scheduled that instead. They can do the pathology on the tissue and let me know if I'll need further treatment instead of 2 separate procedures. Hopefully I'll be back to normal in a few more weeks.

Comment from: Denise G, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm 4 weeks out from a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy and I feel absolutely fine. They took the uterus, cervix and tubes but left the ovaries. I'm so glad I had this done. I found out I was severely anemic due to constant hemorrhaging, periods that lasted 10 days, and 10 days after that it was back. I felt like my life revolved around my period. I dreaded it. I was dragging and feeling terrible. My doctor (after looking at my catastrophically terrible blood work) finally sent me to get an ultra sound which showed many fibroids of all types. That explained a lot! From there I went to an obstetrician/gynecologist who said a hysterectomy was my best bet. I did stay the night in the hospital and I'm glad I did. They took good care of me. I really didn't even need the pain medicines they gave me. The poke holes from the laparoscopy were tender, but nothing awful at all. Nothing like a glob of super glue in your belly button. I had a little bleeding 2 weeks in but it stopped after a couple of days. The doctor said it was normal when the sutures dissolve. I had the surgery on a Thursday and was working from home Monday morning. I went back to work the following Monday. I have to remind myself not to do too much. But it's hard because I feel so fine and normal. I was told I would be tired and worn out but not at all. It so wonderful to never have to have another period. Thank goodness!

Comment from: AJ, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

I had a total hysterectomy at age 27. I had endometriosis, multiple cyst on both ovaries, and malignant cells in my uterus. I wasn't put on any type of hormone therapy, which has caused me plenty of issues with my bones and my joints. It is too late I am told to reverse the damage done due to this surgery. I am on Reclast, vitamin D and vitamin shots every month.

Comment from: debtravels, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am 2 weeks post-surgery. I had full radical robotic assisted hysterectomy. I had surgery a month prior to remove fibroid tumors and the pathology revealed uterine cancer, stage 1. Hysterectomy seemed to go fine, I came home the same night. Felt ill the next day and figured it was just post-surgery effects. Day 3 I felt worse, abdominal cramping and couldn't keep even a sip of water down. I returned to the hospital emergency room and was admitted for bowel obstruction and a hernia that developed in small intestines. I waited till day 5 and then they did surgery for both issues. I was released day 6 in the evening but had a terrible bacterial infection. I am beginning to feel normal but I have a couple of symptoms that I haven't seen anyone else write about. I have crazy itching around my vaginal area and a bit of dripping of urine, and I can't really control it.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?