Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Andrea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal total hysterectomy, including removal of ovaries and cervix, 2 weeks ago. I moved well after surgery, went home the next day, but had poor appetite and could really only tolerate fluids for the first few days. I was so bloated, and it felt like bowels were not working. I am still living on laxatives, bowels are very sluggish and not yet returning to normal. I am having frequent gas pains in my gut, speed of bowels seems about 35 to 40 percent of normal. I'm doing tons of walking, at least a mile per day, not helping much yet. I think I'll go back to the doctor soon if this doesn't improve.

Comment from: Lisa J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy (TLH) and tubes removed on 4/25/2016. I was up and around the next day. I returned to work 4/29/2016. I'm exercising and back to normal, no pain from the incisions, no soreness, no bleeding. I'm so glad how it worked out for me! I have my 6 week follow up on 6/11/2016.

Comment from: alexis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

It has been a month ago since my total abdominal hysterectomy. I am now in the office and doing my usual errand except lifting and taking stairs for walking. Both my ovaries are saved but I will not have a monthly period starting after the operation. Due to huge myoma, I don't have any options other than the said operation. I think, the important thing is your readiness emotionally about the effect after the operation. It is much better to research and read about the possible operation as well as options from the other doctors, but ultrasound will tell you the truth. Now, after the operation, I am happy to know that the result of the histopathology (mass taken out) is negative from any cancer. I am so fortunate to be given a chance to live longer. Happy journey to all of you and best of luck to us who have undergone the same surgery.

Comment from: slcmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

This is one week post total laparoscopic hysterectomy and bilateral salpingectomy, and I am feeling amazing! Post-surgery pain was non-existent, I was up and moving an hour after I was moved to my room and checked out of the hospital 5 hours later. Urinating took some skill (lots of leaning forward then leaning back, then forward, and back) until I was empty but that was fully resolved by the end of day 2. I am stunned by how much more balanced and healthy I feel now that it is done. Three generation of family history of uterus problems followed by hysterectomies (and validated by the pathology report post-surgery; glad to have that thing out). I'm wondering why I waited so long to have it done!

Comment from: Lululee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had my laparoscopic total hysterectomy (removal of uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and right ovary) on 2/26. Prior to this I was having terrible periods (even at age 61. I had my last period the week before my surgery). So far post-operation has been what I expected. Pain has not been too bad. I try to walk a little further every day and can usually feel it if I've been a little too active. I am trying to balance being active enough to help my recovery but not doing too much to delay it. I am not feeling well enough to be bored yet but getting there. I put in to take 4 weeks off of work but hoping to go back after 3.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had a bad experience when I woke up after hysterectomy. I couldn't open my eyes right away. The nurse told me to calm down, and I was lying in bed scared. The next day I passed out. I threw up for a week. I don't know what happened to me and when I asked my doctor I never got any real answers.

Comment from: Young at heart, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on 4/22/16, one week and 3 days ago. I felt better than ever for a full week but after I saw how messy my house was I tried to clean it and cook. Now I am hurting again. I was in bed for a good 3 days and then I had to help out with household chores.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?