Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Helena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

It's now been 3 weeks since l had my hysterectomy, a total hysterectomy using the robot, because l had womb cancer. I had my procedure on Friday and came home on Monday. I have had no bleeding at all, only took paracetamol while in hospital and nothing since coming home. My portholes where the arms of the robot went in have all healed quite well and l feel surprisingly good apart from a little constipation. I keep wondering when any kind of symptom from menopause will begin as my ovaries were taken and l don't think l can have any kind of hormone therapy because of the cancer which I am told at my check up yesterday has gone. I am relieved. I suggest to anyone reading this to go for a total hysterectomy with keyhole surgery done robotically. You needn't worry, it is fine in my experience so far.

Comment from: MVD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago with 18 cm of fibroids. Last December 2016 it was 11 cm but I was not able to follow up with my obstetrician/gynecologist. Last June when I had my transvaginal ultrasound (TVS) it said that my myoma progressed to 18 cm and had to be removed immediately because it might be cancerous and thank goodness it was not. I am slowly recovering with my surgery and do some light house chores but most of the time I just rest. Using binder is very important after surgery.

Comment from: zefirah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago due to multiple and large fibroids. Everything was removed except for ovaries. I had complications during the surgery. My ureter was damaged, so I had a stent put in during the procedure which will be removed later. I had to go home with a catheter for a few days. In addition, the front of my upper thighs have been numb. I believe it is nerve damage that occurred during surgery. I had constipation during the first week post operation but put myself on a rigorous fiber/laxative regime and got it under control. I think my stitches are healing fine, I can walk a little more each day. I'm still having some pain and quite a bit of discomfort (some related to the stent) but gradually taking less pain medicine. I think the numbness in my thighs is gradually subsiding.

Comment from: Mrs. N J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had my hysterectomy on March 10, 2017. I am 47 years old and my surgery was necessary due to severe fibroids. My uterus and cervix were removed. My uterus weighed 3 lb. at removal and a fibroid the size of a grapefruit was peeled from my bladder. The surgery was the best thing I could have done! Other than post-surgery pain, I have had a great recovery. My incision is in my bikini line and I have minimal scarring. Since my surgery, I have been able to sleep all night without having to get up for bathroom. I owe my successful recovery to my gynecologist!

Comment from: Cute, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 6 weeks out from a full abdominal hysterectomy and feeling better. I'm glad I had this done, my body doesn't feel sluggish all the time. I'm more outgoing, more alive, and more me. I am so happy with this but I'm scared to have sex but in due time.

Comment from: Ali.B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I'm 52 and had a full abdominal hysterectomy 9 days ago. Reason for surgery, fibroids! One measured 7 cm and bled continuously causing chronic anemia, hospital stays, blood transfusions, etc. First 4 days post operation I didn't feel very good at all but I'm feeling much better now and I'm far more mobile. My scar is still very sore and tender and I find that I can't stand for too long but I'm able to do far more for myself now. It is vital to keep mobile but rest is equally as important. I ticked all the boxes for hormone replacement therapy so was lucky enough to be put on patches before leaving hospital. Emotionally I'm good and I'm looking forward to a better quality of life without the dreaded bleeding and feeling constantly tired and under the weather. Happy days.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?