Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Mariposa25, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Four weeks ago, I had a vaginal hysterectomy and repair for a prolapsed bladder. The first few hours after surgery were quite painful, but by the next day, I no longer required any pain medication. I stayed in the hospital for one and a half days. I was released with a suprapubic tube in place for three more days. I was told to measure my urine output each time I voided, then open the valve of the tube and measure the residual urine. After three days, I returned to my surgeon for a post-op visit with my readings in hand. By then, I was slightly uncomfortable, but certainly in no pain. He checked me over, removed the tube, and I was told everything looked good. He then released me to fly back home to Maui where I live (surgery was at Kapiolani hospital on Oahu). I flew home, and by the next day, I was driving and "scooting" around town. In fact, a friend had to remind me that I'm not a 16-year-old girl! I had to stay off work for four weeks, and I really tried to follow my doctor's orders about not lifting or doing any heavy work. But I can honestly say that aside from the pain immediately following surgery, the whole experience went very well and pain-free. I saw my surgeon after four weeks, and he was pleased with my recovery. No need to see him again! My bladder is functioning perfectly fine. I do not have any issues with incontinence, pain, burning, etc. I was fortunate to have an excellent doctor.

Comment from: sheila2cats, 55-64 Female Published: December 12

I had my hysterectomy several years ago when I was 50 and had no complications at all. I had the surgery in the afternoon, vaginally, and went home the next afternoon. I had a little pain on the ride home and over the next few days. I had no constipation problems (and I have had them all my life). I never felt better than after I had the surgery. It has been several years, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I did take HRT for quite a while; the hot flashes were bad. Now, I am free of the HRT and still feel great.

Comment from: Another Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, a pelvic organ prolapse repair, and a sudden inguinal hernia repair performed all at the same time about seven weeks ago. The surgery took almost six hours, and I spent three nights in the hospital. I had a catheter for two weeks and then I had to be trained to catheterize myself for another week and a half. I thought I was going to be much better at six weeks, but this is still very uncomfortable after seven weeks. My doctor has my disability approved until Dec. 1, and we will discuss then if I'm ready to go back to work. I am definitely better, but I only started driving again yesterday. If I overdo it and stay on my feet too long, I have to recover the whole next day. I even still need a painkiller, once in a while. I also have this pressure/burning sensation right inside the vaginal area. They say "everything is looking great and healing properly. You just have a lot of stitches there." I'm hoping that within the next four weeks I'll be right around 100%.

Comment from: Owthishurts!, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Nobody warns you about the excruciatingly painful bowel movements. I am 2 weeks post-op for a total abdominal hysterectomy/oophorectomy, and am taking a daily Probiotic/Acidopholus tablet as well as an Activa yogurt which has helped a lot. I had internal bleeding after surgery which required several blood and plasma transfusions, as well as extra antibiotics, which apparently kill good stuff in your bladder/bowels as well as bad. Also, although I plan to use natural hormone replacement long term I started an Estrogen patch about 5 days ago which almost instantly stopped my crying. I actually busted up laughing yesterday.

Comment from: Sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had my hysterectomy surgery two and a half weeks ago, and it's been really hard on me. I have a very active lifestyle, and I have three kids. Having to lie in bed and have someone do everything for me -- even help get me dressed -- is the hardest thing to deal with emotionally. The first week I was crying out of pain, and the second week it was from frustration because I couldn't do anything for myself or my family. I wish I could cry all the time and the smallest things that wouldn't affect me before affect me a lot now. Recovery is going well, according to my doctor, which is great to hear, I guess. I can't wait for my six weeks to arrive as I'm hoping I will be back to normal ... I also wish my doctor would've told me how much pain was associated with the first few bowel movements. I was crying from the pain and thought I was going to pass out and/or vomit. It has definitely been a difficult experience.

Comment from: 38 any still living, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

It has been a week since my hysterectomy. I have very little pain. I have been taking it easy, but even when I do decide to move around, I have little discomfort.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?