Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: science5m, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had a vaginal hysterectomy with a bladder and rectum fix. Pain is not too bad but sitting still is slow. I can walk around the block with my husband and dog. We do this in the morning before the heat of the day. I find I need to urinate about every hour and a half to 2 hours. Doctor said this was good for the bladder. I feel good and hope to get back to my part time job at 2 1/2 weeks out. My full time work is teaching. I will work about 3 hours a day for 3 days. I'll make sure I'm good and not do too much because I don't want to do this again. Good Luck to all.

Comment from: hollie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had a full hysterectomy 2/2013 at the age of 25 years. They left my left ovary for hormonal reassurance. My right tube and ovary were taken out when I was 18 years old. I have currently been experiencing a lot of pain on my left side that sometimes makes me go into the fetal position. I did have a cyst there about 3 months ago, but when I went to the doctor the last time he said it had almost disappeared. I had my bladder tied up in October of 2013 and been having trouble being able to hold my urine in long enough to make it to the restroom, especially when I first wake up. I have a doctor's appointment for tomorrow and will see what he has to say, because this really has me worried. I don't want to have another surgery. I have 2 babies (ages 4 and 2) and I'm a single mom... it would be very hard to care for them after my surgery.

Comment from: Teana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a robotic hysterectomy on June 10th. The first five days were the hardest, I was sent home with pain medications and Motrin. Bleeding stopped after a couple of days. I have a little bit of pain but not much, I just take a Motrin. I quit taking the pain pills by the end of the second week. I just saw my doctor, everything is going well after two weeks. I am going back in four weeks to check the vaginal part. The only thing that's driving me crazy is the hot flashes, the medicines help somewhat.

Comment from: Kristina1124, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 3 days ago. After waking up, I threw up several times (reaction to anesthesia) and was unable to eat food until the next day. The pain medications kept me groggy, my blood pressure was spiking all over the place, and I wasn't passing gas, so they kept me another day. (To which I had no objection to at all!) Overall, now that I am home the pain level is tolerable. Without the Toradol, it's like cramping from one hip bone to the other that really doesn't stop (it makes me grab my stomach and hold it - reminds me of my spastic gallbladder, constant aching with spikes of pain that make me catch my breath). With the Toradol, it's just a constant ache that really doesn't bother me too much. I feel the ache, though, so I know not to push myself too much. I did walk to the mailbox today and came back in to sit down for an hour or so. The first 24 hours really was the worst for me, but now I'm feeling so much better. I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 7 pounds. I can eat small meals a few times a day, so I'm not pushing it. I think the best advice is to take it slow and rest afterwards as much as you can.

Comment from: balla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am 14 days after vaginal hysterectomy, everything was taken but one ovary. I previously had 2 C-sections, ablation, etc. I went back to work yesterday, feeling tired but otherwise doing well. If it weren't for the constipation I would be much better off. I had issues prior with constipation since I quit smoking a year ago so I expected it. If I eat more than half a meal I have pain but it is easy enough to not do that. I haven't had medicines since day 3 with the exception of ibuprofen yesterday at work (I conducted a 5 hour workshop and it was a long time on my feet). Healing is slow and frustrating, I have to remember I am not in my 20s like when I had my C-sections.

Comment from: Chauna38, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I'm 3 weeks post total hysterectomy and my incision has healed nicely. My pain is 95% gone and I walk 3 times a day for 10 minutes each time. I still have gas pains but not as bad as before. Each day gets better and better.

Comment from: lacey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a 16 cm fibroid removed along with my uterus 7 weeks ago, April 2014. I had abdominal (C section) surgery and dissolvable stitches. I was in the hospital 3 nights. They said to walk each day. I left with Vicodin and ibuprofen (600 mg). From day 1 after surgery I walked down my stairs and took 3 walks per day. I was in pain on my hips and left side by incision. Also some people said prior to surgery to buy milk of magnesia. Medications will constipate you. After going home, after 3 days on full stomach, I had no bowel movement! A nurse friend said to drink the milk of magnesia 3rd night and if no bowel movement, to take in the morning. Luckily I had bowel movement after 1 hour after having milk of magnesia, very painful! I took stool softener with each meal thereafter – very important! I felt like my stitches tore, when I tried to walk my dogs just 4 houses. (No more walking dogs!) I could not shower myself for 6 weeks, let alone dress myself. After week 6, I thought I felt great. Into week 7, I physically declined quickly; no energy! Now I have cut out my walking outside. I need to recover to go back to work!

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?