Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: unplanned hystrectom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a hysterectomy in the summer of 2013 after having a normal delivery of a baby. Due to excessive bleeding after two other procedures I had a hysterectomy. Now a year and a half later I sometimes have abdominal pain, actually more of soreness in my abdomen. I still have my ovaries but sometimes I feel overly emotional.

Comment from: Joyti, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had an abdominal hysterectomy done just over four weeks ago. I thought I was doing really well recovering as planned but the last couple of days I've been in pain, with sharp stabbing pains in the lower left side of my stomach. Pain killers numb the pain but the pain is still there. I still have my tubes and ovaries.

Comment from: Sassy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had an abdominal hysterectomy done almost 2 weeks ago. I was in the hospital for 7 days and then one day after being home I was admitted back into the hospital for an infection for another 3 days. I've been home now for 4 days and the pain doesn't feel any better. I am very emotional and taking pain killers every 4 hours to help get through the day. I've had a C section and 3 other surgeries before this and I have never experienced so much pain. I can't wait for the day I finally feel good enough to walk again.

Comment from: jen33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Everything but my ovaries were removed 10 days ago. I am 33 years old. I have been healing pretty well so far but today I noticed menstrual like cramps and back aches, not to mention cravings like my normal menstrual periods.

Comment from: addie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 7 weeks ago. Recovery went fine until I reached the two-week mark, then I developed an infection. I spent 3 weeks on two different types of antibiotics and it didn't help at all! I have intense vaginal burning and pressure. Now I have to go for a CT scan to see if there is an abscess that needs to be drained. Honestly, if I had known that the pain was going to be this bad and that an 'infection' could require another surgery, I never would have had the hysterectomy. I just traded in one set of issues for another.

Comment from: MommaLlama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a total laproscopic hysterectomy two weeks ago. I had crazy endometriosis and bleed for 58 days straight. I had surgery at 7 a.m. and by 3 that afternoon I was resting in my own bed. I woke up the morning after surgery feeling better than I had in months. I was off pain pills by day two. I did start taking Colace the day of surgery and had an easy bowel movement by day two. The hardest part had been being so frustrated that I can't do things for my family. I turned 34 the day after surgery and my family threw me a great party in my bedroom. I wish I had my hysterectomy when I had my youngest at 19. I am not taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and don't plan to. I was on Lupron for six months before surgery and have yet to have a hot flash. Hope that stays that way.

Comment from: Jala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy on August 14, 2013. I seem to be recovering as scheduled, returning to work September 9th. However, I have the most intense unbearable pain on my left side of my stomach when I cough or sneeze to the point it almost makes the sneeze go away. I am taking pain medications but it still hurts, also I cannot lie on this side, hope it gets better. This has been my only down point.

Comment from: thankfulinohio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

It's a little after three weeks after my total abdominal hysterectomy. The first day, I had a pain pump that I was pushing every five minutes because the pain was so bad, but the next morning after they removed the catheter, I was feeling a lot better. I was getting Percocets in the hospital but ended up not being able to take them without getting sick. (It's not fun to throw up with all those staples in my abdomen.) I had some very good nurses who were helpful with any problems ...even with moving my bowels. I had ended up having an enema to get my bowels to move. I would rather do that than wait to have a “hard” bowel movement. I have still been taking a stool softener and herbs that help with my bowels. I would really like to know when my almost-three-inch belly overhang will go away! And it's still tender to the touch, but at my doctor appointment, I was told that everything is healing as expected. I've been taking Advil or Aleve for pain (What a joke, they don't really help.) and Tylenol PM to help me sleep. (Yeah, right, with the night sweats.) I'm going to check my local health food/herbal store for relief. Because I have a job where I can sit, I am going back to work next week part-time (four weeks after surgery). I have a very understanding boss who has been through several female surgeries and will let me take work home too. I had my hysterectomy because of my 30-day heavy periods (even at the age of 52!). I'm very glad that I did because the pathology reports showed that I had the precurser cell to uterine cancer. I thank God for my decision to have the surgery.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?