Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Pdill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had complete ovarian hysterectomy seven weeks ago. I was on pain medications initially for about four weeks. I'm tired all the time and feel abdominal pain all the time. I was also put on estradiol which I had to stop because it made me dizzy. My doctor just seems to think I'm ok but I don't feel ok at all. I wish I had never had to have this done. It was the worst experience ever.

Comment from: damaris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

This is my fifth day after my hysterectomy through laparoscopy. I still have my ovaries since my doctor said I am too young for them to be removed. I stayed 2 days at the hospital. The first night was not good, I had very intense pain. I feel much better than expected. Even though I feel like running I am not supposed to lift anything more than 1 to 2 lb. No driving for 2 weeks, no heavy exercise, just walking around and rest. I get tired pretty quickly but improving every day.

Comment from: Smittysgurl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I am one week and three days post abdominal (vertical) total hysterectomy and I feel great! No pain, no bleeding/spotting/discharge, no fatigue; just happy! I've suffered for at least 5 years and so glad I had the surgery.

Comment from: myregret, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 6 weeks post-operation from a da Vinci assisted hysterectomy, keeping my ovaries. I was told I would have a quick recovery with little bleeding and be pain free from what they thought was adenomyosis. None of it was true. I am in worse pelvic pain than ever before, still have bleeding issues, and pathology came back negative for adenomyosis. I now have back and bladder pain and cry every day from the biggest regret of my life. I am so ashamed I let a doctor do this to me. I thought I had researched, asked the right questions and knew what I was doing. All wrong and nothing I was told was true. This surgery has ruined my life.

Comment from: Ea,B., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am 43 years old 9 days post hysterectomy, with laparoscopic vaginal surgery, bowel prolapse repair, and scar tissue removal from ovaries. My first bowel movement was horrific and my husband had to let me hold onto him while this was releasing from my bowel. After a couple of times and changes to my diet my bowels have settled down. I believe this was a shock to my body as my bowels had not moved this freely in years. I am still experiencing some vaginal bleeding. I am only taking pain medications as needed and when activity is unavoidable. I am using an inflatable donut to sit on and still using pillow support in vehicle. I am also using a large Ace bandage around my lower abdomen which has given support and is helping to lessen my abdominal and back pain. I am still having pain in the vaginal area where my stitches are and being careful not to pull these. I believe I am on the right track to recovery and going to try to take it as easy as possible until the bleeding stops.

Comment from: MLH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 43 years old and I have had very bad periods with frequent and heavy bleeding since I was a teenager. I had three laparoscopies over the years for endometriosis. After two children, things got worse with the bleeding being about every other week for about 3 to 5 days each time. March 2013 I had a tubal ligation and endometrial ablation, but still bleeding just as much. On July 16 (15 days ago), I had a vaginal hysterectomy (removal of uterus and cervix). The only issue I had was, right after surgery I couldn't urinate and I was in extreme pain. They put the catheter back in and there was major relief. I was told that due to the dissolvable sutures inside, the bladder was resting on the fresh incisions. Recovery has gone well, minor cramping and light discharge. On days I do a little more than I should, the discharge is more and red, which it is normally brown, so that tells me to slow down and get off my feet.

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a full hysterectomy on 28/Jun/14, everything removed. Like the other lady it's not my scar that hurts, it's the skin above it, it feels like I've done about 5000 sit-ups every day! I also still have a bit of discharge 4 weeks later. No appointment has been made to check 6 week post operation, so I am going to get my doctor to check.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?