Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Angee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) on the 28th May. I lost lots of blood and was pumped huge amounts of fluid into my body. They nicked my bladder during surgery and had to repair it. I was sent home 25 pounds heavier in two days. I'm starting to feel a little better now but wow, it was awful! I came out of surgery with low blood pressure. So they could give me nothing for pain till my blood pressures came up.

Comment from: LAN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am 5 days out from laparoscopic hysterectomy. I had no frame of reference and did not realize there was a tumor until I had pelvic pain. Aside from the swelling, bloating and soreness, there have been no problems, thank goodness! The increased liquids and Benefiber have worked fine after the initial 3 days. I walk around quite a bit which helps things move, too. Thank you all for sharing your experience.

Comment from: sskoko, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a procedure five days ago, LAV H (laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy). I am still feeling tired and slow. My incisions are sore, as is my entire low back. Biggest problem I have is gas and constipation. Because of the constipation and frequent urinating I quit taking pain medicines two days ago. Gas and bloating still exist but I managed to go to the bathroom, which was painful and not as much as it should be. I am still eating very light, soups, salad and yogurt. What helped me with gas is 1 tsp. baking soda with 2 oz. water mixed well. Good luck to all of you.

Comment from: Frat59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 5/7/14 almost a month ago. My stomach is still sore and strangely it is peeling; like a sun burn! I'm tired and want to be back to being me! Okay, so reality is I'm thinking another month and I may be able to sit, lay down or get out of a car without wincing. My incision isn't as sore as the ridge of skin that sits above it! I hope that shrinks! Good news is I lost about 7 lb. Who knows what's ahead of me without all my lady parts! Wishing all my fellow hysterectomy sisters a speedy recovery!

Comment from: mcb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I'm 8 days post-surgery from a vaginal hysterectomy. For the most part I feel fine. I still have pain where I"m assuming are the stitches inside. And it hurts when I urinate. I go to my post operation appointment Monday June 2nd. I have a lot of gas and diarrhea.

Comment from: laura68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 9 days post operation from a total hysterectomy. I had vaginal/laparoscopic removal. They left the ovaries, took everything else. I spent one night in the hospital as I always seem to have a rough time with anesthesia. I"m getting okay. I"m not 100%, but I"m getting better every day. I do find myself getting tired easily. I hope I get my energy back soon. My laparoscopic incisions are healing nicely, but I have large bruises around each incision. I do have minimal pain and haven't stopped pain medications yet. I"m so thankful my husband took a couple weeks of vacation to help me out.

Comment from: angel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a total hysterectomy with an incision 7 inches horizontally on 4-22-14. I was sent home 48 hours after surgery. I am in the same amount of pain as before I left the hospital. I was sent home with pain killers and Motrin. Before I had this done I had a D&C ablation done before Christmas. I am part of the 20% that it didn"t work on, so I am grateful to have had this surgery. I can barely walk, just to the bathroom and to bed, that's about it. To sit up it hurts. To get up and down it hurts. I know it is going to take some time to feel better but I hope it happens soon.

Comment from: Becca, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My mom had a hysterectomy in the fall of 2013 and she still has excessive drainage and discharge from her vaginal area. Just last few days she has had bleeding there as well. She has had a slight infection before and after the surgery. The doctors have prescribed her at least 3 or 4 medications for her infection and none of them has worked. She has never seen the doctor who performed the surgery afterwards. I am currently trying to find her another doctor.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?