Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Kristina1124, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 3 days ago. After waking up, I threw up several times (reaction to anesthesia) and was unable to eat food until the next day. The pain medications kept me groggy, my blood pressure was spiking all over the place, and I wasn't passing gas, so they kept me another day. (To which I had no objection to at all!) Overall, now that I am home the pain level is tolerable. Without the Toradol, it's like cramping from one hip bone to the other that really doesn't stop (it makes me grab my stomach and hold it - reminds me of my spastic gallbladder, constant aching with spikes of pain that make me catch my breath). With the Toradol, it's just a constant ache that really doesn't bother me too much. I feel the ache, though, so I know not to push myself too much. I did walk to the mailbox today and came back in to sit down for an hour or so. The first 24 hours really was the worst for me, but now I'm feeling so much better. I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 7 pounds. I can eat small meals a few times a day, so I'm not pushing it. I think the best advice is to take it slow and rest afterwards as much as you can.

Comment from: balla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am 14 days after vaginal hysterectomy, everything was taken but one ovary. I previously had 2 C-sections, ablation, etc. I went back to work yesterday, feeling tired but otherwise doing well. If it weren't for the constipation I would be much better off. I had issues prior with constipation since I quit smoking a year ago so I expected it. If I eat more than half a meal I have pain but it is easy enough to not do that. I haven't had medicines since day 3 with the exception of ibuprofen yesterday at work (I conducted a 5 hour workshop and it was a long time on my feet). Healing is slow and frustrating, I have to remember I am not in my 20s like when I had my C-sections.

Comment from: Chauna38, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I'm 3 weeks post total hysterectomy and my incision has healed nicely. My pain is 95% gone and I walk 3 times a day for 10 minutes each time. I still have gas pains but not as bad as before. Each day gets better and better.

Comment from: lacey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a 16 cm fibroid removed along with my uterus 7 weeks ago, April 2014. I had abdominal (C section) surgery and dissolvable stitches. I was in the hospital 3 nights. They said to walk each day. I left with Vicodin and ibuprofen (600 mg). From day 1 after surgery I walked down my stairs and took 3 walks per day. I was in pain on my hips and left side by incision. Also some people said prior to surgery to buy milk of magnesia. Medications will constipate you. After going home, after 3 days on full stomach, I had no bowel movement! A nurse friend said to drink the milk of magnesia 3rd night and if no bowel movement, to take in the morning. Luckily I had bowel movement after 1 hour after having milk of magnesia, very painful! I took stool softener with each meal thereafter – very important! I felt like my stitches tore, when I tried to walk my dogs just 4 houses. (No more walking dogs!) I could not shower myself for 6 weeks, let alone dress myself. After week 6, I thought I felt great. Into week 7, I physically declined quickly; no energy! Now I have cut out my walking outside. I need to recover to go back to work!

Comment from: Angee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) on the 28th May. I lost lots of blood and was pumped huge amounts of fluid into my body. They nicked my bladder during surgery and had to repair it. I was sent home 25 pounds heavier in two days. I'm starting to feel a little better now but wow, it was awful! I came out of surgery with low blood pressure. So they could give me nothing for pain till my blood pressures came up.

Comment from: LAN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am 5 days out from laparoscopic hysterectomy. I had no frame of reference and did not realize there was a tumor until I had pelvic pain. Aside from the swelling, bloating and soreness, there have been no problems, thank goodness! The increased liquids and Benefiber have worked fine after the initial 3 days. I walk around quite a bit which helps things move, too. Thank you all for sharing your experience.

Comment from: sskoko, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a procedure five days ago, LAV H (laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy). I am still feeling tired and slow. My incisions are sore, as is my entire low back. Biggest problem I have is gas and constipation. Because of the constipation and frequent urinating I quit taking pain medicines two days ago. Gas and bloating still exist but I managed to go to the bathroom, which was painful and not as much as it should be. I am still eating very light, soups, salad and yogurt. What helped me with gas is 1 tsp. baking soda with 2 oz. water mixed well. Good luck to all of you.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?