Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Mikarox, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

On July 7th I had my cervix, uterus and tubes removed due to cancer. So far, I guess recovery has been normal but I wonder if anyone else has had issues with their inner thighs and other areas being numb. It's been almost two weeks and still there's no feeling. It's kind of freaking me out! My surgeon says that it can happen but she's never had a patient that it has happened to. She could just be saying that to make me feel better. I am anxiously awaiting my next follow up appointment which is scheduled in early August to see if I need additional treatments and see if this numbness can be fixed.

Comment from: izzylala, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had my full hysterectomy on 07/1/2014, it was done vaginal laparoscopy assisted. I have to say I feel little pain, and I don't really need any pain medication. I have three incisions and one vaginal and they all seem to be healing fine. I heard so many stories and I was really afraid, but now I'm living proof that it all depends on who does your surgery and which type you have. I never let myself be spoiled and be pampered with pain management and I think this is why I'm healing faster. I think this is great for it only being 5 days since surgery and only two day hospital stay.

Comment from: trina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am a 50 year old woman that had hysterectomy on June 4th, 2014. My family was told that the surgery would take about a 1 1/2 hours but it took 4 hours. When I was out of surgery the doctor told my husband that there was a big mistake, he had cut the ureter that connects to the right side of my bladder. I am very tired, I have to urinate out of a bag. The doctor told my husband that he did not see it, that the fibroid was very large and that he made a mistake. I went to the doctor about 3 weeks later to get tests done to see if they could put a stent in and found out that not only was my ureter injured but also I have to have reconstructive surgery in the vaginal area because of the damage that was done. I went in only for hysterectomy and to have my fibroids removed and I came out with more damage and lots of bills. I went back to the hospital with very bad infection. I'm very exhausted and not able to do much at all. Motions are very off the wall. I cry a lot to sleep and run back and forth to the doctor. I have not seen the obstetrician/gynecologist that performed the surgery that put me in this position. My primary care doctors are taking over and now they're finding a doctor that could correct the mistake that the previous doctor has done. I question myself why did I do it. Now within three more weeks I have to go in to get not just this bag off but to also get reconstructive surgery in the vaginal area. Now that's two surgeries.

Comment from: science5m, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had a vaginal hysterectomy with a bladder and rectum fix. Pain is not too bad but sitting still is slow. I can walk around the block with my husband and dog. We do this in the morning before the heat of the day. I find I need to urinate about every hour and a half to 2 hours. Doctor said this was good for the bladder. I feel good and hope to get back to my part time job at 2 1/2 weeks out. My full time work is teaching. I will work about 3 hours a day for 3 days. I'll make sure I'm good and not do too much because I don't want to do this again. Good Luck to all.

Comment from: hollie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had a full hysterectomy 2/2013 at the age of 25 years. They left my left ovary for hormonal reassurance. My right tube and ovary were taken out when I was 18 years old. I have currently been experiencing a lot of pain on my left side that sometimes makes me go into the fetal position. I did have a cyst there about 3 months ago, but when I went to the doctor the last time he said it had almost disappeared. I had my bladder tied up in October of 2013 and been having trouble being able to hold my urine in long enough to make it to the restroom, especially when I first wake up. I have a doctor's appointment for tomorrow and will see what he has to say, because this really has me worried. I don't want to have another surgery. I have 2 babies (ages 4 and 2) and I'm a single mom... it would be very hard to care for them after my surgery.

Comment from: Teana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a robotic hysterectomy on June 10th. The first five days were the hardest, I was sent home with pain medications and Motrin. Bleeding stopped after a couple of days. I have a little bit of pain but not much, I just take a Motrin. I quit taking the pain pills by the end of the second week. I just saw my doctor, everything is going well after two weeks. I am going back in four weeks to check the vaginal part. The only thing that's driving me crazy is the hot flashes, the medicines help somewhat.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?