Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: MLH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 43 years old and I have had very bad periods with frequent and heavy bleeding since I was a teenager. I had three laparoscopies over the years for endometriosis. After two children, things got worse with the bleeding being about every other week for about 3 to 5 days each time. March 2013 I had a tubal ligation and endometrial ablation, but still bleeding just as much. On July 16 (15 days ago), I had a vaginal hysterectomy (removal of uterus and cervix). The only issue I had was, right after surgery I couldn't urinate and I was in extreme pain. They put the catheter back in and there was major relief. I was told that due to the dissolvable sutures inside, the bladder was resting on the fresh incisions. Recovery has gone well, minor cramping and light discharge. On days I do a little more than I should, the discharge is more and red, which it is normally brown, so that tells me to slow down and get off my feet.

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a full hysterectomy on 28/Jun/14, everything removed. Like the other lady it's not my scar that hurts, it's the skin above it, it feels like I've done about 5000 sit-ups every day! I also still have a bit of discharge 4 weeks later. No appointment has been made to check 6 week post operation, so I am going to get my doctor to check.

Comment from: kerima, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had my hysterectomy surgery three years ago. I have my ovaries. I'm having excruciating pain around the scar, extreme sensitivity, lower abdominal and lower back pain. Sex is horrible. I don't know what's happening to my body any more.

Comment from: NanaMama44, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am only 24 hours out of surgery. I had a laparoscopic vaginal full hysterectomy because of 2 large fibroids, and cramping, clotting, and bleeding for the last year. My pain is very tolerable, it feels like I have done 1000 sit ups and all my muscles are sore. My doctor told me the roughest part would be the bloating and gas buildup from the surgery and she was right. The worst I feel is pressure in my rectum and being unable to pass a lot of gas but that is getting better. I quit taking my pain medications last night, they made me so nauseated but I am tolerating it all well with alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol. My daughter is surgery recovery nurse and she said that walking was the best thing to get rid of the gas pain and she was right. Good luck to anyone else out there and I may post again later to know how it's going, in a few more days.

Comment from: Mikarox, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

On July 7th I had my cervix, uterus and tubes removed due to cancer. So far, I guess recovery has been normal but I wonder if anyone else has had issues with their inner thighs and other areas being numb. It's been almost two weeks and still there's no feeling. It's kind of freaking me out! My surgeon says that it can happen but she's never had a patient that it has happened to. She could just be saying that to make me feel better. I am anxiously awaiting my next follow up appointment which is scheduled in early August to see if I need additional treatments and see if this numbness can be fixed.

Comment from: izzylala, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had my full hysterectomy on 07/1/2014, it was done vaginal laparoscopy assisted. I have to say I feel little pain, and I don't really need any pain medication. I have three incisions and one vaginal and they all seem to be healing fine. I heard so many stories and I was really afraid, but now I'm living proof that it all depends on who does your surgery and which type you have. I never let myself be spoiled and be pampered with pain management and I think this is why I'm healing faster. I think this is great for it only being 5 days since surgery and only two day hospital stay.

Comment from: trina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am a 50 year old woman that had hysterectomy on June 4th, 2014. My family was told that the surgery would take about a 1 1/2 hours but it took 4 hours. When I was out of surgery the doctor told my husband that there was a big mistake, he had cut the ureter that connects to the right side of my bladder. I am very tired, I have to urinate out of a bag. The doctor told my husband that he did not see it, that the fibroid was very large and that he made a mistake. I went to the doctor about 3 weeks later to get tests done to see if they could put a stent in and found out that not only was my ureter injured but also I have to have reconstructive surgery in the vaginal area because of the damage that was done. I went in only for hysterectomy and to have my fibroids removed and I came out with more damage and lots of bills. I went back to the hospital with very bad infection. I'm very exhausted and not able to do much at all. Motions are very off the wall. I cry a lot to sleep and run back and forth to the doctor. I have not seen the obstetrician/gynecologist that performed the surgery that put me in this position. My primary care doctors are taking over and now they're finding a doctor that could correct the mistake that the previous doctor has done. I question myself why did I do it. Now within three more weeks I have to go in to get not just this bag off but to also get reconstructive surgery in the vaginal area. Now that's two surgeries.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?