Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: inanutshell, 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a supra cervical abdominal hysterectomy five weeks ago tomorrow (12/11/13). I had it on Wednesday, left the hospital on Thursday. Other than nausea the first 24 hour after surgery, pain was controlled and I felt great. However, I went back to work on the Monday following surgery because I felt so good. Those medicines taken at the correct intervals make it that way (Percocet and ibuprofen). It was a mistake. Now at five weeks post operation, I have no pain, but I'm tired. I should have taken that time off even if it was driving me nuts. And yes, that increased shelf on the lower abdomen does reduce, but way too slow.

Comment from: rcrv78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I recently underwent a vaginal hysterectomy on Dec 4th, 2013. Recovery seems really fast. There's no pain at all, just feels like bloating and swelling. I'm able to walk around the house. I was discharged from the hospital with morphine and ibuprofen 800mg. I only took 1 morphine though I was advised to take every 6 hours and alternate with the ibuprofen. There was no pain, therefore I discontinued the morphine. The reason for my surgery was that I tested positive for the BRCA 1 Gene. I had a total hysterectomy with removal of ovaries, I have yet to experience these so call hot flashes, nothing yet. I can't wait for my 6 week check up to start working out.

Comment from: BestDecision, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

It was the best decision I ever made! I had a full hysterectomy without removal of ovaries three weeks ago to stop unexplained severe bleeding. I had two cervical ablations 3 years ago the 2nd one worked and lasted for 3 years but the bleeding returned with a vengeance. All tests were negative for any explanation as to why this was happening. I woke up from surgery with mild pain but already had sexual desire back. No pains after the 3rd day post operation, sex life resumed at week 3.

Comment from: bloom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had my total hysterectomy a week ago and found it not to be as bad as I thought it was. I came round with a catheter and I hadn't really used the pain relief pump so they took it off and gave me paracetamol, diclofenac and codeine. I have been in much pain though I came off the codeine because I didn't want to get constipated. First time going for bowel movement was a relief if a bit sore as I did not want to push. Two senna tablets have sorted me out. I have been home four days now and have been able to get in bath which was nice. My stomach is eased and I have had no trapped wind or discharge apart from a little bit from the stitches, I only get a twinge when I move so whole process has gone well, just tired a bit more than usual.

Comment from: peanut buttah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago due to never ending cycles and plenty of blood transfusions. I was in the hospital for 5 days due to vomiting and I couldn't pass gas. Since going home, it's been terrible. I got my staples taken out and the incision wasn't healing, so he put sealing strips on it. A couple of days later I went back to the emergency room because it was infected. So now I'm in pain and taking antibiotics. My energy level is terrible and I can't do anything without getting extra tired. I really don't like this. I hope it all gets better soon.

Comment from: Seattle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and cervix removed due to adenomyosis, fibroids and ovarian cyst. My CA125 count was high, so it was done abdominally in case there was ovarian cancer and staging was required. I was scared to death going in, but thankfully there was no cancer. Surgery and recovery have been great. It's been 5 weeks and none of it has been as painful as some lead me to believe. The most painful thing has been the bowels the first two weeks. Taking stool softeners, fiber, drinking lots of water and walk, walk, then walk some more...it really helps. For me, coughing, laughing and sneezing were a little painful, so I kept a sturdy pillow handy to hold against my tummy. You just need to take it easy as one will tire easily. This is a major surgery, so it is better not to push it and to take as much time from work as one can. For those that are scared (as I was), it really hasn't been that bad, at least not for me.

Comment from: DJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 25th September 2013. I was suffering from uterine fibroids which were the size of a 26 week fetus, but with Lucrin they shrunk to the size of a 14 week fetus. They took out the uterus and left the ovaries. When I woke up I had zero pain and felt fantastic. I was discharged after 3 days and the only pain I have suffered is from my bowels. No one tells you they are going to make you suffer. The pathology was that the uterine fibroids are benign but they have since found uterine cancer stage 3, grade 3. So my surgeon has advised me many more operations, first to remove the ovaries, then radiation therapy and probably chemotherapy. He said that I will never work again. We are going to renew our marriage vows next wedding anniversary just in case.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?