Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Kelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 6 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks were excruciatingly painful with bowel motions and gas (just like contraction pains). Even emptying my bladder (every 2 hours) was painful. I bled for 6 weeks, it seems to have eased now. Today is the first day back at work, it still feels tender and twinge-y and I am a little tired, but I really feel like I am on the mend now.

Comment from: CinCityResi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had my total vaginal hysterectomy six days ago, and it was the best decision I ever made. It was performed as an outpatient surgery for fibroid tumors. I still have my ovaries, so I have no immediate hot flashes (although I had them occasionally before and will continue to progress normally through menopause). I went home the same day. My doctor was very thorough in explaining the procedure, what to expect before, during, and after. She recommended a stool softener to start taking three to four days before surgery and continue as long as prescribed pain meds were used. I took the pain pills for two days and one night only. The rest is just a general feeling of discomfort, but much more comfortable than having a period every month! Ladies, if you continue to go back to your doctor for pain, other symptoms, etc. and are told it's all part of the "healing" process ... run to another doctor. It's not normal ... you should feel more like yourself, and probably better than you've felt in months, in just a week or two after your surgery, even though you won't return to most of your normal activities for five to six weeks. The only regret I have is that it took four years to find a doctor who cared enough to listen and act!

Comment from: Meow5S, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy. I had severe pain on my left side that kept me flat in bed for 9 days. I went to the emergency room and no one could explain why I was having pain. It was four weeks before I could walk without wincing.

Comment from: lwhitmire, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on 3/6/2014. I have had no problems. I feel great and have to keep reminding myself that I can't lift anything. I returned to work on 3/17. Not a bad experience at all.

Comment from: Makonner, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a vaginal hysterectomy three weeks ago. I don"t have too much pain, but I still spot blood, not heavy but enough for me to change couple of pads a day. I can"t go to store or walk for long walk without getting tired. I also developed anxiety and panic attacks from this.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had a full abdominal hysterectomy on 24/01/2014 due to lesions in my uterus. I was released in 45 hours but re-admitted with an e-coli and staph infection. I have just been released on the 2nd Feb and was doing okay until I noticed some bleeding. I am waiting to speak to my surgeon but after having 3 C-sections I have found this surgery so much worse. It is a surgery not to be taken lightly, the pain has lessened but the cramping is very painful.

Comment from: Jobaby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

On 1/7/14, I had a full vaginal hysterectomy. I still have my ovaries. On 1/8/14, I was released from the hospital. I only experienced a few light pains. I had to remind myself I had a hysterectomy. So glad, at the age of 48, I had the hysterectomy done! A second chance on life.

Comment from: unplanned hystrectom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a hysterectomy in the summer of 2013 after having a normal delivery of a baby. Due to excessive bleeding after two other procedures I had a hysterectomy. Now a year and a half later I sometimes have abdominal pain, actually more of soreness in my abdomen. I still have my ovaries but sometimes I feel overly emotional.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?