Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Lissa0207, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am 23 days post hysterectomy. I went in with the intention of having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy. Both ovaries were going to be left in. I woke up to find out, I had endometriosis scar tissue in the posterior cul-de-sac behind my uterus, on the left ovary, on my large intestine, and on my right ovary. Both ovaries and part of the large intestine were stuck on my cervix. My doctor removed the scar tissue and had to remove my left ovary due to damage caused by the scar tissue. (My pain was always on the left side). The large intestine was dangerously too close to the cervix. Therefore, my doctor left my cervix. So, I had the uterus, fallopian tubes, and left ovary removed. I initially had three small laparoscopic incisions. Then when the cervix couldn't be removed, I got an approximately 7 inch incision near the pubic bone. After 7 hours in recovery, I was sent home. I protested, but lost. Three days later, I began running a fever. I returned to the emergency room and was diagnosed with pneumonia and an abscess inside my abdominal area. I was admitted and placed on a large amount of intravenous antibiotics. Four days later, I was released. Thank goodness I didn't need and additional procedure to drain the abscess. I am still in pain, walking slow, and get tired very easily. I hope to feel better soon.

Comment from: Marilyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy, repair work for a prolapsed uterus and cystocele as well as bladder sling 2 weeks ago. In recovery I had a small incision in the external vaginal area that kept bleeding and the doctor had to give me a couple of stitches to get it to stop. I did have trouble having my first bowel movement (BM) but felt much better after. I stayed in the hospital overnight and returned home the next afternoon. I was off of the oxycodone by 3 days post operation and have only used 800 mg ibuprofen 2 or 3 times a day since then. I have been surprised how quickly I have recovered. The only real issue I had was that part of the stitches doctor put in during recovery opened up and it was a little sensitive and pink. I went back in for checkup on day 12 and he said it wasn't infected but put a little silver nitrate on it to help it heal. Otherwise I am doing well. I still have a little gas pain and irregular BMs. One day diarrhea and the next mildly constipated. However, I think this is fairly normal due to the trauma of surgery and medications. I will try some of the other suggestions of warm tea. I'm 50 and have had no hot flashes or night sweats so am extremely thankful. Prior to surgery I have had back pain for years, especially the last couple. I have been seeing a chiropractor at least weekly for the past 6 or 7 months. I have been making slow progress but since surgery my back pain has improved dramatically. Who knew! Only regret is that I didn't have it done sooner.

Comment from: mea, Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had my hysterectomy done on 30.12.15 and had been recovering well since the surgery. However for the past 3 weeks I had this sharp pain on my left side of the surgery stitched area. I supposed this was due to my hectic working schedule and there are some muscle pull and cramping and now it is more obvious that the pain is caused by the surgery stitched area.

Comment from: cazmillon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

At age 59 I had a total laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy in November 2014 after being diagnosed with uterine cancer. It is now 11 weeks later and I have been back at work nearly 5 weeks. My surgeon must have been very skilled as I have had very little pain associated with the surgery. I did get painful wind in my ribs and shoulder and later got infected wounds due to bacteria, which took several weeks to clear up. I was staged as 1A which meant the cancer was caught earlier and I am now deemed free of disease. Being post menopause I have had no mood swings or depression. Still no real pain or tiredness just the odd twinge due to my uterine wall and muscles firming up. I do still worry whether I will have any bladder or bowel problems but so far so good. Everyone's recovery is different and I regard myself as lucky to have had such an easy time of it.

Comment from: proxy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I'm a 40 year old mum of three who had a total abdominal hysterectomy in August of 2010 and have been okay till sometime in 2012 when I started having lower abdominal pains and endless infections. I have been seeing the doctor about this but all medication I have been given each time would work only for that period then it would start again. I'm worried also about my bones which are excruciatingly painful, especially in winter. I don't know if there is another with the same problem as mine after a total abdominal hysterectomy. My mum died of cervical cancer just a year after I had the hysterectomy. She is the fifth victim of cancer in her family and the second victim of cervical cancer.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?