Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Smittysgurl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I am one week and three days post abdominal (vertical) total hysterectomy and I feel great! No pain, no bleeding/spotting/discharge, no fatigue; just happy! I've suffered for at least 5 years and so glad I had the surgery.

Comment from: myregret, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 6 weeks post-operation from a da Vinci assisted hysterectomy, keeping my ovaries. I was told I would have a quick recovery with little bleeding and be pain free from what they thought was adenomyosis. None of it was true. I am in worse pelvic pain than ever before, still have bleeding issues, and pathology came back negative for adenomyosis. I now have back and bladder pain and cry every day from the biggest regret of my life. I am so ashamed I let a doctor do this to me. I thought I had researched, asked the right questions and knew what I was doing. All wrong and nothing I was told was true. This surgery has ruined my life.

Comment from: Ea,B., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am 43 years old 9 days post hysterectomy, with laparoscopic vaginal surgery, bowel prolapse repair, and scar tissue removal from ovaries. My first bowel movement was horrific and my husband had to let me hold onto him while this was releasing from my bowel. After a couple of times and changes to my diet my bowels have settled down. I believe this was a shock to my body as my bowels had not moved this freely in years. I am still experiencing some vaginal bleeding. I am only taking pain medications as needed and when activity is unavoidable. I am using an inflatable donut to sit on and still using pillow support in vehicle. I am also using a large Ace bandage around my lower abdomen which has given support and is helping to lessen my abdominal and back pain. I am still having pain in the vaginal area where my stitches are and being careful not to pull these. I believe I am on the right track to recovery and going to try to take it as easy as possible until the bleeding stops.

Comment from: MLH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 43 years old and I have had very bad periods with frequent and heavy bleeding since I was a teenager. I had three laparoscopies over the years for endometriosis. After two children, things got worse with the bleeding being about every other week for about 3 to 5 days each time. March 2013 I had a tubal ligation and endometrial ablation, but still bleeding just as much. On July 16 (15 days ago), I had a vaginal hysterectomy (removal of uterus and cervix). The only issue I had was, right after surgery I couldn't urinate and I was in extreme pain. They put the catheter back in and there was major relief. I was told that due to the dissolvable sutures inside, the bladder was resting on the fresh incisions. Recovery has gone well, minor cramping and light discharge. On days I do a little more than I should, the discharge is more and red, which it is normally brown, so that tells me to slow down and get off my feet.

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a full hysterectomy on 28/Jun/14, everything removed. Like the other lady it's not my scar that hurts, it's the skin above it, it feels like I've done about 5000 sit-ups every day! I also still have a bit of discharge 4 weeks later. No appointment has been made to check 6 week post operation, so I am going to get my doctor to check.

Comment from: kerima, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had my hysterectomy surgery three years ago. I have my ovaries. I'm having excruciating pain around the scar, extreme sensitivity, lower abdominal and lower back pain. Sex is horrible. I don't know what's happening to my body any more.

Comment from: NanaMama44, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am only 24 hours out of surgery. I had a laparoscopic vaginal full hysterectomy because of 2 large fibroids, and cramping, clotting, and bleeding for the last year. My pain is very tolerable, it feels like I have done 1000 sit ups and all my muscles are sore. My doctor told me the roughest part would be the bloating and gas buildup from the surgery and she was right. The worst I feel is pressure in my rectum and being unable to pass a lot of gas but that is getting better. I quit taking my pain medications last night, they made me so nauseated but I am tolerating it all well with alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol. My daughter is surgery recovery nurse and she said that walking was the best thing to get rid of the gas pain and she was right. Good luck to anyone else out there and I may post again later to know how it's going, in a few more days.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?