Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Josiegurl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 46 years old and on January 21, 2014 I had an abdominal hysterectomy to remove large fibroids, enlarged uterus, and cervix. My incision is about 6 to 7 inches running from hip to hip. I am 10 days into recovery and I am now just finally able to start moving about the house more freely. I even made supper last night! I have no regrets about having this surgery and look forward to no longer suffering heavy bleeding and menstruating for 10 days each month!

Comment from: No Regrets, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 36 and had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. It was done through my abdomen. I had my uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes removed. I just have my ovaries. I had already had my tubes tied 7 years ago. I have 5 kids and I struggled with 7 day periods that were very heavy. I was in pain a lot of the time. They diagnosed me with having fibroids and my uterus was severely enlarged. My recovery has been fine but I find myself getting exhausted quickly! The gas was the worst for me at first but that subsided after a week or so. I am walking a bit faster now and not in pain as often. I am still very limited though. I do not regret my decision by far.

Comment from: Kazgb1993, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 13 days ago and I feel great. I was in the hospital 2 days. I still have brown bleeding which is normal up to 6 weeks and my bladder hurts, which according to other posts is also normal. It's after I have urinated I get pressure that hangs around for about an hour, I guess from the catheter. I haven't taken any pain medications for the last 4 days. My bowel movement was 4 days after the surgery and with a little help from fiber pills. I hope this information helps others.

Comment from: Sam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a planned C section on the 18 December 2013 but within 4 hours, they couldn't stop the bleeding so I was taken back to theatre for a total abdominal hysterectomy. I had 20 units of blood transfusion and developed fluid in the lungs so I was transferred to the ICU for 48 hours. Four weeks in I'm at home with my beautiful baby boy but feel I got no follow up from the hospital. I still have some pain, I have vaginal bleeding and I don't know if that's normal or not. In 38 years old but feel I have aged 10 years since the operation. I feel my baby and my partner are missing out because I'm tired, moody and in pain all the time.

Comment from: Msdiamonds, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was living with pain on a daily basis for many years due to adenomyosis, living on pain pills. I was recently diagnosed with fibroids, which made my pain worse this is what led me to my decision. I had a hysterectomy of the uterus on 01/14. I had severe pain afterwards, could not be controlled for several hours. I ended up with internal bleeding, had a blood transfusion the next morning, and emergency surgery around 1 pm. Ladies, please be certain that this is your only option.

Comment from: Great Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I'm a 47 year old woman. I had my uterus and tubes removed about four weeks ago. The experience was not bad at all. A day after the surgery I was walking and emptying my bladder. I walked around the hospital and the next day I went home. I was doing stuff in about two days within being home. I gobbled those pain pills like nobody's business and I was good. Once I finished with them I was fine. Just some soreness but nothing bad. My stomach is flatter than my back! I had the surgery because one of my fibroids was so big I looked five months pregnant. I didn't have heavy bleeding just a regular cycle. I feel wonderful and I look even better. If I had known this I would have had the surgery a long time ago. I have a thin scar from under my navel to right above my bikini line.

Comment from: Vivelavie, 35-44 (Patient) Published: January 17

I had total abdominal hysterectomy on Jan 08, 2014 after being diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in situ. I had a hard time recovering after surgery due to extreme pain. I was in the recovery room for about nine hours for some issues that I have no idea until now. My husband said he was only allowed to see me for about 5 minutes twice and no one told him what was wrong with me. I was in a lot of pain and had the push button pre dosed morphine but that made me sicker so the hospital decided to change my medications to oral painkillers and Gravol. I stayed at the hospital for 3 days. I had a hard time passing gas the first 2 days. No issues with urinating after removal of catheter. The hospital gave me laxative so I was okay with my bowel movements. I could not eat anything solid for 7 days because it made me nauseous and I would vomit. Today is the 8th day post-operation and I am finally mobile enough to do things on my own and incorporate soft solids into my diet. When you go for your surgery I hope you have a great support group, I am lucky I have a doting husband, helping family and great friends who assisted me with my ordeal.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?