Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Jaw from Ohio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

It has been 14 days since I had my abdominal hysterectomy. My ovaries are still in place. Six hours after surgery I was able to get up and move around a little with help. I stayed 3 days in the hospital. My biggest issues were getting up out of bed and climbing up and down the stairs. I get tired easily, besides having a little back pain. I took pain killer for 1 week. I have no bleeding, spotting, menopause symptoms or unbearable pain. I can feel that I will have a better life ahead of me. I feel very good about the decision I made to have this hysterectomy.

Comment from: Cynthia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 12 days ago vaginally, and kept my ovaries. The internal gas pain was horrific the first 3 days then subsided. I have 4 small incisions across my belly in line with my belly button. They were itchy but manageable, they now do not itch and are healing very well. No pain to the touch. When urinating or passing bowels my insides hurt, a burning pinching feeling to this day. I had been prescribed Motrin and Norco for the pain, and I am off the Norco now and only taking the Motrin but due to the constipation I have to stop taking them. I can walk around fine after 3 days, there was a pulling pain in my lower belly, feels like I need a sling to hold it up for relief. Today walking is easy except for the pain in my lower belly, feels so much better to lie down on my back or sides, I feel no pain in those positions. I am concerned about the severe pain passing gas or defecating. It is still very painful even after 12 days and I cannot get the constipation under control. The silver lining in all of this is no periods ever again and my sexual appetite returned almost immediately. I am very happy I had this surgery only hope the internal bowels pain subsides.

Comment from: Melody Fair, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I went for a total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago with left ovary removed; due to endometriosis and bleeding for more than a year. My hemoglobin went really low. I went for IV Iron therapy and my hemoglobin went up. After 6 months my hemoglobin continue to drop due to everyday non-stop bleeding while waiting for my surgery date. Before and after my surgery my hemoglobin went low again so I was given 2 packs of blood before I was discharged on the fourth day post-operation. I was suffering from pain, bloating, nausea, shortness of breath, weakness, dizziness, and was experiencing symptoms of menopause like hot flushes, depression, and irritation. I couldn't eat well, and I could only eat soup during the first week. I was walking so slow and crooked, couldn't straighten my back well due to bloating and pain. I had chills and mild fever but it was relieved with pain killer. As much as possible I don't take painkillers, unless I can't sleep of pain. I'm a side sleeper and during this time, I can't really sleep well as I can only sleep on my back. It hurts to sleep on my side until now. I tried to walk as much as I could every day. Every now and then I still feel pain inside; I have low back pain, pain urinating, and cramps on and off both legs. My doctor only wants me to see her after a month post-operation. At least there is no signs of infection at the moment but I have small amount of discharge every day. Abdominal binder helps a lot. I feel itching on the incision site and on my tummy now. My tummy is still big and I am still bloated but I can pass gas better. I eat better now. I have so much to ask my doctor about, but waiting time is long.

Comment from: Feeling alone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 49 years and last Monday I had a full hysterectomy. I came home from the hospital and I still have the catheter in me but should have that out by this Thursday. I have painful bowel movements but I'm not constipated. And I feel I need to urinate even though the catheter is in me, it hurts. My incision scar is sore and red and there are gaps in some parts. It feel thick and firm. I have wet coughs and have to buckle down and hold my stomach.

Comment from: Pdill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had complete ovarian hysterectomy seven weeks ago. I was on pain medications initially for about four weeks. I'm tired all the time and feel abdominal pain all the time. I was also put on estradiol which I had to stop because it made me dizzy. My doctor just seems to think I'm ok but I don't feel ok at all. I wish I had never had to have this done. It was the worst experience ever.

Comment from: damaris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

This is my fifth day after my hysterectomy through laparoscopy. I still have my ovaries since my doctor said I am too young for them to be removed. I stayed 2 days at the hospital. The first night was not good, I had very intense pain. I feel much better than expected. Even though I feel like running I am not supposed to lift anything more than 1 to 2 lb. No driving for 2 weeks, no heavy exercise, just walking around and rest. I get tired pretty quickly but improving every day.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?