Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Melody Fair, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I went for a total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago with left ovary removed; due to endometriosis and bleeding for more than a year. My hemoglobin went really low. I went for IV Iron therapy and my hemoglobin went up. After 6 months my hemoglobin continue to drop due to everyday non-stop bleeding while waiting for my surgery date. Before and after my surgery my hemoglobin went low again so I was given 2 packs of blood before I was discharged on the fourth day post-operation. I was suffering from pain, bloating, nausea, shortness of breath, weakness, dizziness, and was experiencing symptoms of menopause like hot flushes, depression, and irritation. I couldn't eat well, and I could only eat soup during the first week. I was walking so slow and crooked, couldn't straighten my back well due to bloating and pain. I had chills and mild fever but it was relieved with pain killer. As much as possible I don't take painkillers, unless I can't sleep of pain. I'm a side sleeper and during this time, I can't really sleep well as I can only sleep on my back. It hurts to sleep on my side until now. I tried to walk as much as I could every day. Every now and then I still feel pain inside; I have low back pain, pain urinating, and cramps on and off both legs. My doctor only wants me to see her after a month post-operation. At least there is no signs of infection at the moment but I have small amount of discharge every day. Abdominal binder helps a lot. I feel itching on the incision site and on my tummy now. My tummy is still big and I am still bloated but I can pass gas better. I eat better now. I have so much to ask my doctor about, but waiting time is long.

Comment from: Feeling alone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 49 years and last Monday I had a full hysterectomy. I came home from the hospital and I still have the catheter in me but should have that out by this Thursday. I have painful bowel movements but I'm not constipated. And I feel I need to urinate even though the catheter is in me, it hurts. My incision scar is sore and red and there are gaps in some parts. It feel thick and firm. I have wet coughs and have to buckle down and hold my stomach.

Comment from: Pdill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had complete ovarian hysterectomy seven weeks ago. I was on pain medications initially for about four weeks. I'm tired all the time and feel abdominal pain all the time. I was also put on estradiol which I had to stop because it made me dizzy. My doctor just seems to think I'm ok but I don't feel ok at all. I wish I had never had to have this done. It was the worst experience ever.

Comment from: damaris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

This is my fifth day after my hysterectomy through laparoscopy. I still have my ovaries since my doctor said I am too young for them to be removed. I stayed 2 days at the hospital. The first night was not good, I had very intense pain. I feel much better than expected. Even though I feel like running I am not supposed to lift anything more than 1 to 2 lb. No driving for 2 weeks, no heavy exercise, just walking around and rest. I get tired pretty quickly but improving every day.

Comment from: Smittysgurl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I am one week and three days post abdominal (vertical) total hysterectomy and I feel great! No pain, no bleeding/spotting/discharge, no fatigue; just happy! I've suffered for at least 5 years and so glad I had the surgery.

Comment from: myregret, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 6 weeks post-operation from a da Vinci assisted hysterectomy, keeping my ovaries. I was told I would have a quick recovery with little bleeding and be pain free from what they thought was adenomyosis. None of it was true. I am in worse pelvic pain than ever before, still have bleeding issues, and pathology came back negative for adenomyosis. I now have back and bladder pain and cry every day from the biggest regret of my life. I am so ashamed I let a doctor do this to me. I thought I had researched, asked the right questions and knew what I was doing. All wrong and nothing I was told was true. This surgery has ruined my life.

Comment from: Ea,B., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am 43 years old 9 days post hysterectomy, with laparoscopic vaginal surgery, bowel prolapse repair, and scar tissue removal from ovaries. My first bowel movement was horrific and my husband had to let me hold onto him while this was releasing from my bowel. After a couple of times and changes to my diet my bowels have settled down. I believe this was a shock to my body as my bowels had not moved this freely in years. I am still experiencing some vaginal bleeding. I am only taking pain medications as needed and when activity is unavoidable. I am using an inflatable donut to sit on and still using pillow support in vehicle. I am also using a large Ace bandage around my lower abdomen which has given support and is helping to lessen my abdominal and back pain. I am still having pain in the vaginal area where my stitches are and being careful not to pull these. I believe I am on the right track to recovery and going to try to take it as easy as possible until the bleeding stops.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?