Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 45 years old, and on February 11, 2014 I had an abdominal hysterectomy to remove a large fibroid, small fibroids, enlarged uterus the size of a big cantaloupe, and cervix. I also had endometriosis. My incision is 7 inches running from hip to hip. I had 7:30am surgery on the 11th. I refused the epidural twice on the 12th, as well as hard drugs. I was given Advil every 8 hours and Tylenol every 6 hours. I was released after only one night in the hospital. I am 5 days into recovery and I went grocery shopping with my husband today, and made dinner tonight. The worst part of this was the gas pains that radiate to the shoulder. I took some chewable gas tables, and Colace for a stool softener. Colace was gentle so I took one in the am, midday and evening. I did the same with the gas chewables.

Comment from: Tracey22222, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had a full hysterectomy a little over two weeks ago. I feel horrible. I"m healing well, but terrible headaches and body aches plague me. I am weak and tired. My hot flashes last so long that it feels like a fever. CBC came back normal. My gynecologist doubled my hormones, which helped some in the beginning. I was extremely depressed and just lost immediately after, so the hormones helped that. I felt great about a week ago, then the headaches and body aches started. The only reason I can write today is because that has let up some today. I know, however, this will not last. I'm waiting for a call from the doctor to see what we can do. I"m 50 and was already menopausal and on a light dose of hormones. I used to have migraines when I was on the pill years ago from a drop in hormones on the blank pills. I think we can safely say having no ovaries is not a good thing for me. I could have kept them with several cysts or given them up to have this. I hope this helps others who might be experiencing this too. I know it did me. I"m not crazy or a hypochondriac when I see others have been where I am.

Comment from: dml0417, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had a total hysterectomy on January 21. I had a fibroid the size of 6 month fetus. Surgery was done laparoscopic and robotically and as outpatient. Surgery lasted about three hours and even though I did have cysts on both ovaries all pathology was benign. I was given Percocet which handled the pain but only lasted 5 days. I started taking Tylenol arthritis which handled the pain. It wasn"t until two weeks after surgery that I started having spotting and abdominal pain. The doctor made sure internal stiches were ok but I had to get Vicodin to help with the pain. I did go back to work after two weeks but could not work full days. It was too much. I am having hot flashes, still spotting and have abdominal pain that feels like cramps. I also had reaction to adhesive on Steri-Strips which spread to arms, legs and face. This surgery and recovery is not as bad as the double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery I had 13 years ago.

Comment from: Jrzygrl54, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had a total hysterectomy on February 3, 2014 due to a large mass in my abdomen (the size of a football or that of a 6-month old fetus). Ultrasound and CAT scan initial diagnosis was ovarian cancer. The gynecological oncologist surgeon removed the mass, ovaries, tubes, cervix, uterus and the fatty layer inside my stomach. In addition he removed some lymph nodes and my appendix (gallbladder removed previously in October 2013). The day after surgery was tough, but painkillers helped. The doctor instructed me to walk a lot the day after surgery. I spent 3 days in the hospital and came home on February 6. So far, so good. I take Advil as a precaution because my stomach is tight. I have 42 staples going vertically down my stomach. I can get in and out of bed on my own and had regular bowel movements on the 4th day. I agree with previous patients in that the gas was the worst. It moved up to my shoulders and I was told that walking was the only thing that would get rid of it. So I am now walking 2 to 3 times daily in short spurts outside, I'm assuming to build up my stomach muscles. I will find out this week what pathology says about the mass, hoping the cancer was contained in the mass and did not spread. Wish me luck! Overall, I"m surprised (as is everyone else) at how well I"m doing.

Comment from: happy patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a radical hysterectomy 23/1/2014 because of cancer. Everything was removed, ovaries, uterus, cervix, lymph nodes and glands. This was done laparoscopically. The only pain on waking up in recovery was caused by the bladder spasming from the catheter. Luckily I had a great nurse who had this under control within a couple of minutes. I was well enough to go home the next day but was advised to continue my pain medication religiously for the next 10 days. I have had no problems except for a little tightness in the abdomen. My bladder and bowel functions are normal. I was very scared about the whole process, but I can really say this was easier than the 3 caesarean sections I had 35 years ago. Everyone is amazed how well I have recovered. I think it is very important to follow your surgeon's advice to the "t".

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?