Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: mea, Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had my hysterectomy done on 30.12.15 and had been recovering well since the surgery. However for the past 3 weeks I had this sharp pain on my left side of the surgery stitched area. I supposed this was due to my hectic working schedule and there are some muscle pull and cramping and now it is more obvious that the pain is caused by the surgery stitched area.

Comment from: cazmillon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

At age 59 I had a total laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy in November 2014 after being diagnosed with uterine cancer. It is now 11 weeks later and I have been back at work nearly 5 weeks. My surgeon must have been very skilled as I have had very little pain associated with the surgery. I did get painful wind in my ribs and shoulder and later got infected wounds due to bacteria, which took several weeks to clear up. I was staged as 1A which meant the cancer was caught earlier and I am now deemed free of disease. Being post menopause I have had no mood swings or depression. Still no real pain or tiredness just the odd twinge due to my uterine wall and muscles firming up. I do still worry whether I will have any bladder or bowel problems but so far so good. Everyone's recovery is different and I regard myself as lucky to have had such an easy time of it.

Comment from: proxy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I'm a 40 year old mum of three who had a total abdominal hysterectomy in August of 2010 and have been okay till sometime in 2012 when I started having lower abdominal pains and endless infections. I have been seeing the doctor about this but all medication I have been given each time would work only for that period then it would start again. I'm worried also about my bones which are excruciatingly painful, especially in winter. I don't know if there is another with the same problem as mine after a total abdominal hysterectomy. My mum died of cervical cancer just a year after I had the hysterectomy. She is the fifth victim of cancer in her family and the second victim of cervical cancer.

Comment from: blessed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

After dealing with extreme heavy bleeding for about 2 years, most recently having to get a transfusion, I had a laparoscopic assisted robotic supracervical hysterectomy performed. It has been 8 days after the surgery. I feel much better than I did the first 4 days. I have a little pain and soreness, mobility is slow paced, but I can get around without help now. Not rushing things, listening to my body and taking it slow.

Comment from: DavianW., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I am 5 days post operation from almost total hysterectomy. I had everything removed except left ovary because of chronic (everyday) abdominal pain for 10 months due to what they believe is endometriosis. I had stage 2 to 3 endometriosis and the pain is still with me today, on the right side, even though the surgeon said that he was able to excise it all. The surgery was not difficult at all. There was pain of course but pain medications helped. I am taking only ibuprofen since two days ago and am able to manage. I was taking hydrocodone which helped a lot and did not give me nausea like other pain killers. I just wish the right sided pain would go away. It makes me nervous that the laparoscopy vaginal hysterectomy (robotic) didn't work to get rid of the pain.

Comment from: Jaw from Ohio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

It has been 14 days since I had my abdominal hysterectomy. My ovaries are still in place. Six hours after surgery I was able to get up and move around a little with help. I stayed 3 days in the hospital. My biggest issues were getting up out of bed and climbing up and down the stairs. I get tired easily, besides having a little back pain. I took pain killer for 1 week. I have no bleeding, spotting, menopause symptoms or unbearable pain. I can feel that I will have a better life ahead of me. I feel very good about the decision I made to have this hysterectomy.

Comment from: Cynthia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 12 days ago vaginally, and kept my ovaries. The internal gas pain was horrific the first 3 days then subsided. I have 4 small incisions across my belly in line with my belly button. They were itchy but manageable, they now do not itch and are healing very well. No pain to the touch. When urinating or passing bowels my insides hurt, a burning pinching feeling to this day. I had been prescribed Motrin and Norco for the pain, and I am off the Norco now and only taking the Motrin but due to the constipation I have to stop taking them. I can walk around fine after 3 days, there was a pulling pain in my lower belly, feels like I need a sling to hold it up for relief. Today walking is easy except for the pain in my lower belly, feels so much better to lie down on my back or sides, I feel no pain in those positions. I am concerned about the severe pain passing gas or defecating. It is still very painful even after 12 days and I cannot get the constipation under control. The silver lining in all of this is no periods ever again and my sexual appetite returned almost immediately. I am very happy I had this surgery only hope the internal bowels pain subsides.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?