Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Marilyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy, repair work for a prolapsed uterus and cystocele as well as bladder sling 2 weeks ago. In recovery I had a small incision in the external vaginal area that kept bleeding and the doctor had to give me a couple of stitches to get it to stop. I did have trouble having my first bowel movement (BM) but felt much better after. I stayed in the hospital overnight and returned home the next afternoon. I was off of the oxycodone by 3 days post operation and have only used 800 mg ibuprofen 2 or 3 times a day since then. I have been surprised how quickly I have recovered. The only real issue I had was that part of the stitches doctor put in during recovery opened up and it was a little sensitive and pink. I went back in for checkup on day 12 and he said it wasn't infected but put a little silver nitrate on it to help it heal. Otherwise I am doing well. I still have a little gas pain and irregular BMs. One day diarrhea and the next mildly constipated. However, I think this is fairly normal due to the trauma of surgery and medications. I will try some of the other suggestions of warm tea. I'm 50 and have had no hot flashes or night sweats so am extremely thankful. Prior to surgery I have had back pain for years, especially the last couple. I have been seeing a chiropractor at least weekly for the past 6 or 7 months. I have been making slow progress but since surgery my back pain has improved dramatically. Who knew! Only regret is that I didn't have it done sooner.

Comment from: mea, Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had my hysterectomy done on 30.12.15 and had been recovering well since the surgery. However for the past 3 weeks I had this sharp pain on my left side of the surgery stitched area. I supposed this was due to my hectic working schedule and there are some muscle pull and cramping and now it is more obvious that the pain is caused by the surgery stitched area.

Comment from: cazmillon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

At age 59 I had a total laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy in November 2014 after being diagnosed with uterine cancer. It is now 11 weeks later and I have been back at work nearly 5 weeks. My surgeon must have been very skilled as I have had very little pain associated with the surgery. I did get painful wind in my ribs and shoulder and later got infected wounds due to bacteria, which took several weeks to clear up. I was staged as 1A which meant the cancer was caught earlier and I am now deemed free of disease. Being post menopause I have had no mood swings or depression. Still no real pain or tiredness just the odd twinge due to my uterine wall and muscles firming up. I do still worry whether I will have any bladder or bowel problems but so far so good. Everyone's recovery is different and I regard myself as lucky to have had such an easy time of it.

Comment from: proxy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I'm a 40 year old mum of three who had a total abdominal hysterectomy in August of 2010 and have been okay till sometime in 2012 when I started having lower abdominal pains and endless infections. I have been seeing the doctor about this but all medication I have been given each time would work only for that period then it would start again. I'm worried also about my bones which are excruciatingly painful, especially in winter. I don't know if there is another with the same problem as mine after a total abdominal hysterectomy. My mum died of cervical cancer just a year after I had the hysterectomy. She is the fifth victim of cancer in her family and the second victim of cervical cancer.

Comment from: blessed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

After dealing with extreme heavy bleeding for about 2 years, most recently having to get a transfusion, I had a laparoscopic assisted robotic supracervical hysterectomy performed. It has been 8 days after the surgery. I feel much better than I did the first 4 days. I have a little pain and soreness, mobility is slow paced, but I can get around without help now. Not rushing things, listening to my body and taking it slow.

Comment from: DavianW., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I am 5 days post operation from almost total hysterectomy. I had everything removed except left ovary because of chronic (everyday) abdominal pain for 10 months due to what they believe is endometriosis. I had stage 2 to 3 endometriosis and the pain is still with me today, on the right side, even though the surgeon said that he was able to excise it all. The surgery was not difficult at all. There was pain of course but pain medications helped. I am taking only ibuprofen since two days ago and am able to manage. I was taking hydrocodone which helped a lot and did not give me nausea like other pain killers. I just wish the right sided pain would go away. It makes me nervous that the laparoscopy vaginal hysterectomy (robotic) didn't work to get rid of the pain.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?