Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Shelby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I'm two days post operation for laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy; everything removed. First day after was rough with vagina pain but today I feel a lot better, the ibuprofen works better than the pain medicine. I had multiple fibroids, one pretty big, but I'm doing good. So if you are getting ready to have this done don't worry, it's really not that bad. Good luck to you all!

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Today is 9 days since I've had an abdominal hysterectomy. My fallopian tubes have been removed, but ovaries remain. I've had 4 C-sections previously. I think that I am healing well, but sometimes I get a pulling/pain on the right side, when I reach or try to get up on the bed. I try to walk at least 1/2 mile a day around the house. Nurse suggested using Miralax so I've not had any problems with constipation. I know it will take a while to get back to my normal self, but being in bed so much is driving me stir crazy. Still giving thanks for everything.

Comment from: fibroidfish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am 6 days post vaginal hysterectomy for uterine fibroids. I am feeling great. No pain medicines since the day of surgery. Making sure I eat a balanced diet is playing an important part. I do have a sensitivity to sweets since my surgery, maybe from anesthesia. I could have not made a better decision.

Comment from: Angie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. Tubes and one ovary were also removed due to a huge cyst. I had just one night in hospital and felt pretty good by the day after surgery; just have 4 small incisions. No pain medications taken after first 2 days. I still need an occasional afternoon nap but I work from home (freelance writer) so it's not a problem. Life is so much better now and hopefully the anemia will resolve over next few months now that I won't be bleeding 20 to 25 days a month. Overall, so glad it was done!

Comment from: Andrea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal total hysterectomy, including removal of ovaries and cervix, 2 weeks ago. I moved well after surgery, went home the next day, but had poor appetite and could really only tolerate fluids for the first few days. I was so bloated, and it felt like bowels were not working. I am still living on laxatives, bowels are very sluggish and not yet returning to normal. I am having frequent gas pains in my gut, speed of bowels seems about 35 to 40 percent of normal. I'm doing tons of walking, at least a mile per day, not helping much yet. I think I'll go back to the doctor soon if this doesn't improve.

Comment from: Lisa J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy (TLH) and tubes removed on 4/25/2016. I was up and around the next day. I returned to work 4/29/2016. I'm exercising and back to normal, no pain from the incisions, no soreness, no bleeding. I'm so glad how it worked out for me! I have my 6 week follow up on 6/11/2016.

Comment from: alexis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

It has been a month ago since my total abdominal hysterectomy. I am now in the office and doing my usual errand except lifting and taking stairs for walking. Both my ovaries are saved but I will not have a monthly period starting after the operation. Due to huge myoma, I don't have any options other than the said operation. I think, the important thing is your readiness emotionally about the effect after the operation. It is much better to research and read about the possible operation as well as options from the other doctors, but ultrasound will tell you the truth. Now, after the operation, I am happy to know that the result of the histopathology (mass taken out) is negative from any cancer. I am so fortunate to be given a chance to live longer. Happy journey to all of you and best of luck to us who have undergone the same surgery.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?