Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have had a total abdominal hysterectomy 12 days ago for fibroids and heavy bleeding. I was concerned about the surgery but was eager to be rid of problems. I was in hospital for 3 days, the pain was relieved with pain medication which I took every 6 hours. Pain was bad for the first 4 days then began to subside nicely. I have more soreness above the incision line than the incision itself. Constipation was a problem but was relieved with a laxative and more fiber in my diet. My energy level is moderate. I am able to make dinner and do tasks in the house slowly but I haven't ventured out yet. I am pleased with my progress and looking forward to increasing my activity in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

Comment from: KellDow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy due to suffering with adenomyosis for years. The surgery started 12 noon and lasted 2 hours. I was really out of it until about 7 that night and threw up after I drank a smoothie. I had cramping and sharp pains for the first 3 days. Pressure from gas and constipation was painful but subsided after I finally had a bowel movement. It's been 2 weeks since my surgery and I'm feeling quite well. I still have a little spotting and only need to wear a panty liner. I notice that my energy runs out about 2 in the afternoon. I also still get a little pulling sensation if I walk around too long, but with a little rest and Advil I feel much better. I'm returning to work in 5 days and hoping that all my energy returns soon.

Comment from: Carrietul, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had an abdominal hysterectomy on Friday 3/27/14, and today is Good Friday 4/3/14; it's been 7 days. I spent 2 nights and 3 days in hospital. The pain of the incision was bad but from the beginning the pain from gas was almost unbearable. It felt like labor pain starting in the front and moved to my back. They sent me home with 2mg Dilaudid (morphine) and I alternate with Norco 7.5 mg. I didn't start taking a stool softener immediately but I wish I would have. Sitting is terribly painful so I lie down and get tired after a short time when I'm walking. I have 1 ovary left. I would do it all again as my cervix was 3 times the size it should have been and my stomach has already lost the bloated look. The first bowel was excruciating, large and hard. But it's much better now with the stool softener.

Comment from: Lissa0207, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am 23 days post hysterectomy. I went in with the intention of having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy. Both ovaries were going to be left in. I woke up to find out, I had endometriosis scar tissue in the posterior cul-de-sac behind my uterus, on the left ovary, on my large intestine, and on my right ovary. Both ovaries and part of the large intestine were stuck on my cervix. My doctor removed the scar tissue and had to remove my left ovary due to damage caused by the scar tissue. (My pain was always on the left side). The large intestine was dangerously too close to the cervix. Therefore, my doctor left my cervix. So, I had the uterus, fallopian tubes, and left ovary removed. I initially had three small laparoscopic incisions. Then when the cervix couldn't be removed, I got an approximately 7 inch incision near the pubic bone. After 7 hours in recovery, I was sent home. I protested, but lost. Three days later, I began running a fever. I returned to the emergency room and was diagnosed with pneumonia and an abscess inside my abdominal area. I was admitted and placed on a large amount of intravenous antibiotics. Four days later, I was released. Thank goodness I didn't need and additional procedure to drain the abscess. I am still in pain, walking slow, and get tired very easily. I hope to feel better soon.

Comment from: Marilyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy, repair work for a prolapsed uterus and cystocele as well as bladder sling 2 weeks ago. In recovery I had a small incision in the external vaginal area that kept bleeding and the doctor had to give me a couple of stitches to get it to stop. I did have trouble having my first bowel movement (BM) but felt much better after. I stayed in the hospital overnight and returned home the next afternoon. I was off of the oxycodone by 3 days post operation and have only used 800 mg ibuprofen 2 or 3 times a day since then. I have been surprised how quickly I have recovered. The only real issue I had was that part of the stitches doctor put in during recovery opened up and it was a little sensitive and pink. I went back in for checkup on day 12 and he said it wasn't infected but put a little silver nitrate on it to help it heal. Otherwise I am doing well. I still have a little gas pain and irregular BMs. One day diarrhea and the next mildly constipated. However, I think this is fairly normal due to the trauma of surgery and medications. I will try some of the other suggestions of warm tea. I'm 50 and have had no hot flashes or night sweats so am extremely thankful. Prior to surgery I have had back pain for years, especially the last couple. I have been seeing a chiropractor at least weekly for the past 6 or 7 months. I have been making slow progress but since surgery my back pain has improved dramatically. Who knew! Only regret is that I didn't have it done sooner.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?