Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Dubbi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I just had my surgery done on March 20, laparoscopic hysterectomy, my uterus, both ovaries and fallopian tubes are removed. I stayed overnight and second day I was at home, I took pain killers (Motrin) for first 2 days only. I only experienced some cramps, a little constipation, and a lot of fatigue, but still worth it. I just want to add that everybody is different and that you should start working on it before at least 2 weeks. Watch your diet, eat healthy, and exercise a lot so that you are ready for the big day and afterwards, drink lot of water, let it flush out; for energy, drink Gatorade.

Comment from: graciecook, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I originally had heavy bleeding. So I went in for NovaSure. Unfortunately he hit me with a blast that was too strong and too hard and everything fell out. Not realizing that the doctor was the reason this happened, I went back to him for a hysterectomy, bladder sling, rectocele, and a cystocele. It has been a year since the hysterectomy. He didn"t put me back together correctly. He attached everything too tightly to the left side of my coccyx, and now I can barely walk and the pain is intense.

Comment from: Nora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a partial laparoscopic hysterectomy two weeks ago. I kept my ovaries. I"ve had no pain, bleeding or discharge. The only thing was the bloating. Since I feel so good I want to do everything I did before. I have to keep reminding myself I just had major surgery. Up to now I"m glad I had it done.

Comment from: bored to death, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I just turned 45 on February 11th. When going to my family doctor for my yearly checkup I was called and told my hemoglobin was 7.0. I already knew what the problem was so I called my obstetrician/gynecologist. I saw her the same day and I was told after exam and a sonogram that I had to have a total hysterectomy. It was scheduled for the next Tuesday. If my HB was high enough to have it. It fell to 6.8 so I had a transfusion the night before. It will be a week march 4th that I had the surgery. I had a total abdominal with everything removed. The worst so far was in the recovery room. I had severe nausea, I believe only due to the pain. They put me on a pain pump and it helped a lot. My hemoglobin came up post operation because there was no more bleeding. The catheter, oxygen, leg wraps and IV were gone the next morning. I even got up in a chair the same evening as surgery. I came home on the second day and so far so good. My hubby keeps yelling at me to sit and I do have pain but so far it has been much worth it.

Comment from: SJR30, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I"m 32 and 12 days post laparoscopic robot assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I"m moving great even though I still get worn out fairly easily. The only thing that I can say is bothering me is some incision tenderness and abdominal and back spasms. I'm not sure if that is normal but they can be quite painful. I have had some emotional days and a feeling of loss but I won"t have to spend months on end bleeding every day. I"m glad I made this decision.

Comment from: JLM 769, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Two weeks ago I had a total abdominal hysterectomy (27 staples) and I"m still having trouble with mobility as well as dealing with the pain. I had been suffering with uterine fibroids for years, extreme periods lasting two weeks at times and couldn"t leave the house for the first five days. I have a lot of swelling. The pain is horrible. I want a normal life again.

Comment from: cfoster, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a robotic total hysterectomy on Monday (today is Thursday) due to stage 4 endometriosis. I feel darn good. I took pain pills on Tuesday but haven"t needed them since. I have been extremely tired but can get around fine. The incisions are itchy but not infected. I was put immediately on a dual patch for estrogen/progestin. I am so glad I won"t have periods anymore! The doctor said I"d feel like a new woman.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?