Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: FashionDesignPassion, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had an abdominal hysterectomy, vertical incision, and also an inside vaginal incision. I'm not having hot flashes or any other hormone related problems, as they were able to save one ovary. I am still having some pain, and soreness, I am five weeks post operation. Hoping to feel better soon.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on May 4th. I am now 10 days post operation and feel great. First 2 days after surgery I had a lot of gas until I had my first bowel movement 2 days after surgery and had no issues. My body seems to be back on track with regular bowel movements without issues of constipation or pain anywhere. I have to remind myself that I had major surgery so I do not overdo it. I prepped my body well prior to surgery so I would not get constipated. I started taking Metamucil 2 times a day 2 weeks before my surgery. I drank lots of water, ate more fruits and vegetables and cut back on meats. I continue to drink a lot of water and eat well to avoid hard stools. This process is sure helping my body recover. I will mention too, I lost 8 pounds. I am feeling ready to go back to work!

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have had a total abdominal hysterectomy 12 days ago for fibroids and heavy bleeding. I was concerned about the surgery but was eager to be rid of problems. I was in hospital for 3 days, the pain was relieved with pain medication which I took every 6 hours. Pain was bad for the first 4 days then began to subside nicely. I have more soreness above the incision line than the incision itself. Constipation was a problem but was relieved with a laxative and more fiber in my diet. My energy level is moderate. I am able to make dinner and do tasks in the house slowly but I haven't ventured out yet. I am pleased with my progress and looking forward to increasing my activity in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

Comment from: KellDow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy due to suffering with adenomyosis for years. The surgery started 12 noon and lasted 2 hours. I was really out of it until about 7 that night and threw up after I drank a smoothie. I had cramping and sharp pains for the first 3 days. Pressure from gas and constipation was painful but subsided after I finally had a bowel movement. It's been 2 weeks since my surgery and I'm feeling quite well. I still have a little spotting and only need to wear a panty liner. I notice that my energy runs out about 2 in the afternoon. I also still get a little pulling sensation if I walk around too long, but with a little rest and Advil I feel much better. I'm returning to work in 5 days and hoping that all my energy returns soon.

Comment from: Carrietul, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had an abdominal hysterectomy on Friday 3/27/14, and today is Good Friday 4/3/14; it's been 7 days. I spent 2 nights and 3 days in hospital. The pain of the incision was bad but from the beginning the pain from gas was almost unbearable. It felt like labor pain starting in the front and moved to my back. They sent me home with 2mg Dilaudid (morphine) and I alternate with Norco 7.5 mg. I didn't start taking a stool softener immediately but I wish I would have. Sitting is terribly painful so I lie down and get tired after a short time when I'm walking. I have 1 ovary left. I would do it all again as my cervix was 3 times the size it should have been and my stomach has already lost the bloated look. The first bowel was excruciating, large and hard. But it's much better now with the stool softener.

Comment from: Lissa0207, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am 23 days post hysterectomy. I went in with the intention of having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy. Both ovaries were going to be left in. I woke up to find out, I had endometriosis scar tissue in the posterior cul-de-sac behind my uterus, on the left ovary, on my large intestine, and on my right ovary. Both ovaries and part of the large intestine were stuck on my cervix. My doctor removed the scar tissue and had to remove my left ovary due to damage caused by the scar tissue. (My pain was always on the left side). The large intestine was dangerously too close to the cervix. Therefore, my doctor left my cervix. So, I had the uterus, fallopian tubes, and left ovary removed. I initially had three small laparoscopic incisions. Then when the cervix couldn't be removed, I got an approximately 7 inch incision near the pubic bone. After 7 hours in recovery, I was sent home. I protested, but lost. Three days later, I began running a fever. I returned to the emergency room and was diagnosed with pneumonia and an abscess inside my abdominal area. I was admitted and placed on a large amount of intravenous antibiotics. Four days later, I was released. Thank goodness I didn't need and additional procedure to drain the abscess. I am still in pain, walking slow, and get tired very easily. I hope to feel better soon.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?