Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Patricia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy on March 17, I"m 39 years old. I had significant bloating and horrible pain on my left side which I still have. My doctor said the left side is where the grinder went through as my uterus and ovaries were three times the size. I"m going back to work on Monday but feel so exhausted. I don"t feel ready. I"ve been working from home all along.

Comment from: aj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

This is day 13 after having a full radical abdominal hysterectomy after years of heavy debilitating periods, fibroids and endometriosis. I suffered bladder problems and infections, but now sorted, however cannot believe the pain on the right side of my scar. Doctors tell me it is nerve damage but no one else has mentioned this. I wonder if anyone else has suffered this. Generally I feel good although a little emotional and tired. Although it's early days I cannot wait to feel like a "new woman". Good luck to all you ladies going through the same.

Comment from: Shiella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a total hysterectomy through vaginal laparoscopy. It is my 11th day today and I am still taking it slowly. I feel pain in the lower part of my body but not too bad. I took extra strength Tylenol. The day of my surgery was Thursday morning. The next thing I knew it was 1:30 pm already. If the nurse did not wake me up I probably would have been still sound asleep. I felt okay did not feel any pain during the evening, I was walking and it helps loosen my cramps. My doctor encourages me to walk so that I won't develop blood clot. My worst day was the second day of my surgery, I felt so cold and was in pain. My tummy was bloated and I felt like a frog. I had a hard time sitting, every time I sat down I was stuck and couldn't get up. I was helpless. The good thing to happen was that I had bowel movement and I felt relieved. Through my experience I understood diet is very important, eating healthy foods is essential. Kale is very good to help you go and fresh ginger tea helps you pass gas. Walking here and there helps, just don't overdo it, listen to your body. Recently I am experiencing hot flash. I am 37 and my doctor said it was expected, I have menopausal symptoms overtime, in the middle of the night I was up because my clothes were wet. So far am doing okay, managing my up and down. I am not driving yet, I will try this week. I went already for grocery with my hubby, I always remind myself not to carry heavy stuff.

Comment from: trisha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Eleven days ago I had an abdominal radical hysterectomy due to large fibroids. They took the works, which I am pleased to say at my age is great. I am still very sore and have a bloated belly but can gently move around and get things done. My husband is a wonderful help. I was in a lot of pain when all this started in December 2013 and was so pleased when I had the operation as I knew I was on my way to the old me. Constipation is still a bit of a problem, so I just take a syrup twice a day until it is sorted. I am very tired so I figure two hours up and at it and two hours resting just about works out right for me. Lots of love and good luck to my many sisters out there from me here!

Comment from: mmartin8, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

On 3/20/14 I had a partial hysterectomy with full abdominal surgery due to large fibroids and heavy bleeding. I had previously had a myomectomy 12 years ago (removal of fibroids) and a C-section with the birth of my daughter 7 years ago. It is now 8 days later and I am still in pain. I must mention that my intestines and bladder were stuck to my uterus due to the previous surgeries and scar tissue. I am trying not to take pain medication except for ibuprofen because I hate the grogginess and inability to think clearly. I"m hoping I can go back to work soon.

Comment from: Ssybo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with ovaries removed, some lymph nodes, as they suspected ovarian cancer. CA125 was 700 at operation, frozen section diagnosis as borderline, luckily it all tested as benign in end. I was in hospital for 6 nights, the experience wasn"t as bad as I thought. I had epidural in for 3 days, pain wasn"t too bad, was sick and had gas pains on the 2nd night, then had bladder infection and urine retention after I went home. I had to go back in for 1 night, had to have catheter for a week, but this is sorted out now. Five weeks on am feeling better, except for not sleeping very well, but no menopause symptoms.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?