Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Lululee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had my laparoscopic total hysterectomy (removal of uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and right ovary) on 2/26. Prior to this I was having terrible periods (even at age 61. I had my last period the week before my surgery). So far post-operation has been what I expected. Pain has not been too bad. I try to walk a little further every day and can usually feel it if I've been a little too active. I am trying to balance being active enough to help my recovery but not doing too much to delay it. I am not feeling well enough to be bored yet but getting there. I put in to take 4 weeks off of work but hoping to go back after 3.

Comment from: MinnieGem, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 10 days in after having laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy, with a cyst removed from my bladder and my bladder lifted and put back into place. I've had pain, bleeding on and off, and a foul smell from the blood in my pad. I tore a stitch just by sitting down to urinate, and severe constipation (which is moving better now after taking a laxative). I have energized days and no energy days, and I'm finding myself very emotional. I'm lost and I don't know what to do. I had help my first few days home but my partner has since gone back to work and I have to fend for myself for meals. I was in the hospital for 3 days after surgery, I kind of wish I stayed there.

Comment from: DorothyConyersga, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with a cystectomy on February 10, 2016. I had a herniated ovarian cyst and my intrauterine device wasn't in the right place. I just got my 18 staples removed on the 23. I am healing pretty good, still sore but am feeling better. Much better now that the staples are gone. I feel things will be much better for me now. I was tired of all of the pain I was having. I give two thumbs up to my doctor. To all of the women out there who have to have a hysterectomy done, don't be afraid. There's nothing to it. I had it done, you can too.

Comment from: Lady 'T', 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

Three weeks ago today I had a total hysterectomy, uterus, ovaries and tumors. Everything went well. I had the surgery on a Monday, and was up and walking all day Tuesday. Wednesday when the doctor came around he said everything looked good and told me he normally he would keep me longer but if I go home and do nothing he would let me go. So he released me and I went home and did nothing. Two weeks and two days later I went back to the doctor and he was amazed how my cut was healing. He told me that the average size of a uterus is 70 grams and mine was 1777 grams. Too enlarged. It was so large to where he couldn't do the bikini cut, he had to go up to my navel. I didn't have a whole lot of pain, my biggest thing was the gas. I'm just taking it easy waiting for my full recovery. The doctor told me I could go back to work just for me to take it easy and no lifting.

Comment from: Cape Breton Chickie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had my hysterectomy a week ago today, on 16-02-04. It was through my stomach due to a large fibroid (8 cm) and I have not had any children. I stood up the first night and as with many, it was not pretty. I am experiencing lots of gas and pressure in my intestines (I can feel the product passing through). I stopped taking extra strength Tylenol three days ago. There is hardly any pain and my incision is healing well. My stomach and lower areas look like a gothic bag of skittles and have more color than 'Starry Night'. My stitches are all internal and now have a hollow sound on one side when I tap my stomach. My doctor stated that I may have bled a bit and there will be some left over serum that may need to be removed later. I have several times felt like a straw was put in my head and my energy sucked out, but I can urinate better now. Sorry for being graphic, but that one small thing is amazing. Good luck ladies!

Comment from: PainfreeinColorado, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 2 weeks to the day post laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy. I had everything except for both ovaries removed. I was suffering from severe pain (labor like) during my periods due to fibroid tumors. My uterus was the size of a 10 week pregnancy. I am in the healthcare field so I did lots of research as to what the other options were. The surgeon and hospital wanted the surgery performed. My surgeon told me that my uterus was covered with fibroid tumors inside and out with also a little endometriosis. I feel great! My incisions scarred over about 5 days post operation looking more like scratches than incisions. I wanted to move as soon as my surgeon allowed me to. I was up and walking about 20 hours after surgery. Keeping hydrated has been key to my speedy recovery and digestive health. I suffered from trapped gas pains for about 2 or 3 days post operation but once I started walking, it helped move my bowels. I have no pain, just a little tenderness where the uterus was removed. I am looking forward to no longer having periods and the pain I experienced prior to my hysterectomy.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?