Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Cecille, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a full hysterectomy on December 7 with a horizontal incision (bikini cut). I had pain medication the first two days after surgery (staying at the hospital 2 nights). Then, I had pain medication every four hours but it was too much (hydrocodone) and I felt sleepy and lethargic for too long. After consulting my doctor, I immediately changed the pain medication to something milder, first ibuprofen and now acetaminophen; seems to be the best for me at this point. I feel better and more alert and able to do light house chores. I don't feel like driving or walking for too long, or do any other strenuous activity but I definitely feel much better. My advice is be careful with pain medication and try to understand the pain in your body. Keep moving but stop and rest (sit or lie down for a little) if you feel the pain.

Comment from: Lexi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I'm 7 weeks post operation and had a radical hysterectomy. It was an 8 inch vertical incision and I had an almost 7 lb tumor, no cancer. I'm still in pain on just one spot next to the incision down toward the bottom. I'm trying to work a little but not going well. I have also experienced severe itching all over my body. Sounds crazy but for the last 5 days it's been awful, I am not taking any medicines and haven't been for 2 weeks.

Comment from: Vic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I had a total hysterectomy on November 29, 2016. I had already gone through menopause, but I had pain from 2 ovarian cysts, one 4 cm and one 6 cm. The surgeon planned to do it laparoscopic, but due to scar tissue, had to make an 8 inch incision horizontally. I stayed in the hospital 2 days. The day after returning home, I felt good and did too much. The next day I was nauseous, faint, and broke out in a cold sweat. I learned to slow down. I thought I would go back to work after 5 weeks, but it might take longer.

Comment from: Jane, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My vaginal hysterectomy for prolapse was on Wednesday afternoon. I came home yesterday which was Thursday. I feel amazing. I have had no pain and really don't need the tablets provided. I must be careful not to lift anything heavy or generally overdo it. This will be difficult as I feel so well.

Comment from: Clair, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am 3 days post-surgery of a vaginal hysterectomy. I am 36 year old. I have constant back pain and pelvis pain. I am still feeling sick and bloated, and with pain. Peppermint tea is advised, but it is horrible to drink. I take painkillers, but can't wait to start feeling normal again. Every day I am feeling sick and teary.

Comment from: Shelby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I'm two days post operation for laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy; everything removed. First day after was rough with vagina pain but today I feel a lot better, the ibuprofen works better than the pain medicine. I had multiple fibroids, one pretty big, but I'm doing good. So if you are getting ready to have this done don't worry, it's really not that bad. Good luck to you all!

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Today is 9 days since I've had an abdominal hysterectomy. My fallopian tubes have been removed, but ovaries remain. I've had 4 C-sections previously. I think that I am healing well, but sometimes I get a pulling/pain on the right side, when I reach or try to get up on the bed. I try to walk at least 1/2 mile a day around the house. Nurse suggested using Miralax so I've not had any problems with constipation. I know it will take a while to get back to my normal self, but being in bed so much is driving me stir crazy. Still giving thanks for everything.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?