Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Relieved, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I went through a full abdominal hysterectomy at the end of June and have a horizontal scar of about 5 or 6 inches. I have been doing ok up to now and the swelling on my abdomen seems to be going down slowly. While I feel really lucky that everything has been going well up to now I am now experiencing pain down the left side of my abdomen with a dragging feeling. My thoughts are with anyone who is going through this operation or is recovering, good luck.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am 7 days out from total vaginal hysterectomy. Surgery was fine. The pain medicine has caused me to be extremely constipated; miserably so. I realize the pain medicines are necessary, but I feel like the doctor should suggest laxatives as well. I stopped taking the oxycodone two days ago and am just taking high dose Tylenol. Everything being so backed up down there is causing pain to the surgical area.

Comment from: CLF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

My total robotic hysterectomy was 17 days ago. It was rough going the first 7 days but by day 10 I felt great. Now I suffer from exhaustion. I'm tired every day. This is very hard for me as I've always been a very energetic person. I'm tired after I've been out of bed for 2 hours. I feel like I'm dragging myself around the house. I take a nap every day but never feel energized.

Comment from: kmd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 10 days ago; 15 cm horizontal incision. I stopped taking painkillers on day 2. I was discharged from hospital on day 3; really missed the electric hospital bed at first to help sit and stand up and lie down, but this got a lot easier from day 5. After day 8, I could sleep on my side. The scar tissue around the incision is sore and tight when I walk, so I hobble around hunched over, which hurts the back muscles. But this hasn't stopped me getting out and about, just need to rest fairly frequently. All in all, I'm very happy with my recovery so far, given the huge gash in my belly! When I get grumpy about not being able to do my normal activities, I think of the people I met in hospital who aren't going to get better anytime soon or are going home with a colostomy bag.

Comment from: Frustrated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had laparoscopic and open total hysterectomy six weeks ago yesterday. I have had severe to constant pain from bladder to mid right ribs since the night of surgery. I have had IVP (intravenous pyelogram) x-rays, ultrasounds, CAT scan, blood work, and urine test. Everything is normal, I was told by surgeon. Maybe I need to go to pain clinic. I hate using any type of medicines. I just cannot take this anymore. If I would have known it was going to be this difficult to recover I never would have done this.

Comment from: ConcernedHusband, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My wife had a partial hysterectomy in the summer of 2014. Now a year later it seems that she is going through a midlife crisis. She does not take any prescribed medication since her operation. It's been two months now and she has not been home but been out of state with her parents stating she feels like she is going to snap and cannot be around anyone or have any level of responsibility. I wonder if this is something I should be concerned about as a husband in regards to a side effect. I'm trying to be patient and understanding but am afraid that our marriage will crumble under the stress.

Comment from: FashionDesignPassion, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had an abdominal hysterectomy, vertical incision, and also an inside vaginal incision. I'm not having hot flashes or any other hormone related problems, as they were able to save one ovary. I am still having some pain, and soreness, I am five weeks post operation. Hoping to feel better soon.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on May 4th. I am now 10 days post operation and feel great. First 2 days after surgery I had a lot of gas until I had my first bowel movement 2 days after surgery and had no issues. My body seems to be back on track with regular bowel movements without issues of constipation or pain anywhere. I have to remind myself that I had major surgery so I do not overdo it. I prepped my body well prior to surgery so I would not get constipated. I started taking Metamucil 2 times a day 2 weeks before my surgery. I drank lots of water, ate more fruits and vegetables and cut back on meats. I continue to drink a lot of water and eat well to avoid hard stools. This process is sure helping my body recover. I will mention too, I lost 8 pounds. I am feeling ready to go back to work!

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?