Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Sam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a planned C section on the 18 December 2013 but within 4 hours, they couldn't stop the bleeding so I was taken back to theatre for a total abdominal hysterectomy. I had 20 units of blood transfusion and developed fluid in the lungs so I was transferred to the ICU for 48 hours. Four weeks in I'm at home with my beautiful baby boy but feel I got no follow up from the hospital. I still have some pain, I have vaginal bleeding and I don't know if that's normal or not. In 38 years old but feel I have aged 10 years since the operation. I feel my baby and my partner are missing out because I'm tired, moody and in pain all the time.

Comment from: Msdiamonds, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was living with pain on a daily basis for many years due to adenomyosis, living on pain pills. I was recently diagnosed with fibroids, which made my pain worse this is what led me to my decision. I had a hysterectomy of the uterus on 01/14. I had severe pain afterwards, could not be controlled for several hours. I ended up with internal bleeding, had a blood transfusion the next morning, and emergency surgery around 1 pm. Ladies, please be certain that this is your only option.

Comment from: Great Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I'm a 47 year old woman. I had my uterus and tubes removed about four weeks ago. The experience was not bad at all. A day after the surgery I was walking and emptying my bladder. I walked around the hospital and the next day I went home. I was doing stuff in about two days within being home. I gobbled those pain pills like nobody's business and I was good. Once I finished with them I was fine. Just some soreness but nothing bad. My stomach is flatter than my back! I had the surgery because one of my fibroids was so big I looked five months pregnant. I didn't have heavy bleeding just a regular cycle. I feel wonderful and I look even better. If I had known this I would have had the surgery a long time ago. I have a thin scar from under my navel to right above my bikini line.

Comment from: Vivelavie, 35-44 (Patient) Published: January 17

I had total abdominal hysterectomy on Jan 08, 2014 after being diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in situ. I had a hard time recovering after surgery due to extreme pain. I was in the recovery room for about nine hours for some issues that I have no idea until now. My husband said he was only allowed to see me for about 5 minutes twice and no one told him what was wrong with me. I was in a lot of pain and had the push button pre dosed morphine but that made me sicker so the hospital decided to change my medications to oral painkillers and Gravol. I stayed at the hospital for 3 days. I had a hard time passing gas the first 2 days. No issues with urinating after removal of catheter. The hospital gave me laxative so I was okay with my bowel movements. I could not eat anything solid for 7 days because it made me nauseous and I would vomit. Today is the 8th day post-operation and I am finally mobile enough to do things on my own and incorporate soft solids into my diet. When you go for your surgery I hope you have a great support group, I am lucky I have a doting husband, helping family and great friends who assisted me with my ordeal.

Comment from: inanutshell, 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 16

I had a supra cervical abdominal hysterectomy five weeks ago tomorrow (12/11/13). I had it on Wednesday, left the hospital on Thursday. Other than nausea the first 24 hour after surgery, pain was controlled and I felt great. However, I went back to work on the Monday following surgery because I felt so good. Those medicines taken at the correct intervals make it that way (Percocet and ibuprofen). It was a mistake. Now at five weeks post operation, I have no pain, but I'm tired. I should have taken that time off even if it was driving me nuts. And yes, that increased shelf on the lower abdomen does reduce, but way too slow.

Comment from: rcrv78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I recently underwent a vaginal hysterectomy on Dec 4th, 2013. Recovery seems really fast. There's no pain at all, just feels like bloating and swelling. I'm able to walk around the house. I was discharged from the hospital with morphine and ibuprofen 800mg. I only took 1 morphine though I was advised to take every 6 hours and alternate with the ibuprofen. There was no pain, therefore I discontinued the morphine. The reason for my surgery was that I tested positive for the BRCA 1 Gene. I had a total hysterectomy with removal of ovaries, I have yet to experience these so call hot flashes, nothing yet. I can't wait for my 6 week check up to start working out.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?