Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: BestDecision, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

It was the best decision I ever made! I had a full hysterectomy without removal of ovaries three weeks ago to stop unexplained severe bleeding. I had two cervical ablations 3 years ago the 2nd one worked and lasted for 3 years but the bleeding returned with a vengeance. All tests were negative for any explanation as to why this was happening. I woke up from surgery with mild pain but already had sexual desire back. No pains after the 3rd day post operation, sex life resumed at week 3.

Comment from: bloom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had my total hysterectomy a week ago and found it not to be as bad as I thought it was. I came round with a catheter and I hadn't really used the pain relief pump so they took it off and gave me paracetamol, diclofenac and codeine. I have been in much pain though I came off the codeine because I didn't want to get constipated. First time going for bowel movement was a relief if a bit sore as I did not want to push. Two senna tablets have sorted me out. I have been home four days now and have been able to get in bath which was nice. My stomach is eased and I have had no trapped wind or discharge apart from a little bit from the stitches, I only get a twinge when I move so whole process has gone well, just tired a bit more than usual.

Comment from: peanut buttah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago due to never ending cycles and plenty of blood transfusions. I was in the hospital for 5 days due to vomiting and I couldn't pass gas. Since going home, it's been terrible. I got my staples taken out and the incision wasn't healing, so he put sealing strips on it. A couple of days later I went back to the emergency room because it was infected. So now I'm in pain and taking antibiotics. My energy level is terrible and I can't do anything without getting extra tired. I really don't like this. I hope it all gets better soon.

Comment from: Seattle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and cervix removed due to adenomyosis, fibroids and ovarian cyst. My CA125 count was high, so it was done abdominally in case there was ovarian cancer and staging was required. I was scared to death going in, but thankfully there was no cancer. Surgery and recovery have been great. It's been 5 weeks and none of it has been as painful as some lead me to believe. The most painful thing has been the bowels the first two weeks. Taking stool softeners, fiber, drinking lots of water and walk, walk, then walk some really helps. For me, coughing, laughing and sneezing were a little painful, so I kept a sturdy pillow handy to hold against my tummy. You just need to take it easy as one will tire easily. This is a major surgery, so it is better not to push it and to take as much time from work as one can. For those that are scared (as I was), it really hasn't been that bad, at least not for me.

Comment from: DJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 25th September 2013. I was suffering from uterine fibroids which were the size of a 26 week fetus, but with Lucrin they shrunk to the size of a 14 week fetus. They took out the uterus and left the ovaries. When I woke up I had zero pain and felt fantastic. I was discharged after 3 days and the only pain I have suffered is from my bowels. No one tells you they are going to make you suffer. The pathology was that the uterine fibroids are benign but they have since found uterine cancer stage 3, grade 3. So my surgeon has advised me many more operations, first to remove the ovaries, then radiation therapy and probably chemotherapy. He said that I will never work again. We are going to renew our marriage vows next wedding anniversary just in case.

Comment from: Kelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 6 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks were excruciatingly painful with bowel motions and gas (just like contraction pains). Even emptying my bladder (every 2 hours) was painful. I bled for 6 weeks, it seems to have eased now. Today is the first day back at work, it still feels tender and twinge-y and I am a little tired, but I really feel like I am on the mend now.

Comment from: CinCityResi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had my total vaginal hysterectomy six days ago, and it was the best decision I ever made. It was performed as an outpatient surgery for fibroid tumors. I still have my ovaries, so I have no immediate hot flashes (although I had them occasionally before and will continue to progress normally through menopause). I went home the same day. My doctor was very thorough in explaining the procedure, what to expect before, during, and after. She recommended a stool softener to start taking three to four days before surgery and continue as long as prescribed pain meds were used. I took the pain pills for two days and one night only. The rest is just a general feeling of discomfort, but much more comfortable than having a period every month! Ladies, if you continue to go back to your doctor for pain, other symptoms, etc. and are told it's all part of the "healing" process ... run to another doctor. It's not normal ... you should feel more like yourself, and probably better than you've felt in months, in just a week or two after your surgery, even though you won't return to most of your normal activities for five to six weeks. The only regret I have is that it took four years to find a doctor who cared enough to listen and act!

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?