Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: dml0417, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had a total hysterectomy on January 21. I had a fibroid the size of 6 month fetus. Surgery was done laparoscopic and robotically and as outpatient. Surgery lasted about three hours and even though I did have cysts on both ovaries all pathology was benign. I was given Percocet which handled the pain but only lasted 5 days. I started taking Tylenol arthritis which handled the pain. It wasn"t until two weeks after surgery that I started having spotting and abdominal pain. The doctor made sure internal stiches were ok but I had to get Vicodin to help with the pain. I did go back to work after two weeks but could not work full days. It was too much. I am having hot flashes, still spotting and have abdominal pain that feels like cramps. I also had reaction to adhesive on Steri-Strips which spread to arms, legs and face. This surgery and recovery is not as bad as the double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery I had 13 years ago.

Comment from: Jrzygrl54, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had a total hysterectomy on February 3, 2014 due to a large mass in my abdomen (the size of a football or that of a 6-month old fetus). Ultrasound and CAT scan initial diagnosis was ovarian cancer. The gynecological oncologist surgeon removed the mass, ovaries, tubes, cervix, uterus and the fatty layer inside my stomach. In addition he removed some lymph nodes and my appendix (gallbladder removed previously in October 2013). The day after surgery was tough, but painkillers helped. The doctor instructed me to walk a lot the day after surgery. I spent 3 days in the hospital and came home on February 6. So far, so good. I take Advil as a precaution because my stomach is tight. I have 42 staples going vertically down my stomach. I can get in and out of bed on my own and had regular bowel movements on the 4th day. I agree with previous patients in that the gas was the worst. It moved up to my shoulders and I was told that walking was the only thing that would get rid of it. So I am now walking 2 to 3 times daily in short spurts outside, I'm assuming to build up my stomach muscles. I will find out this week what pathology says about the mass, hoping the cancer was contained in the mass and did not spread. Wish me luck! Overall, I"m surprised (as is everyone else) at how well I"m doing.

Comment from: happy patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a radical hysterectomy 23/1/2014 because of cancer. Everything was removed, ovaries, uterus, cervix, lymph nodes and glands. This was done laparoscopically. The only pain on waking up in recovery was caused by the bladder spasming from the catheter. Luckily I had a great nurse who had this under control within a couple of minutes. I was well enough to go home the next day but was advised to continue my pain medication religiously for the next 10 days. I have had no problems except for a little tightness in the abdomen. My bladder and bowel functions are normal. I was very scared about the whole process, but I can really say this was easier than the 3 caesarean sections I had 35 years ago. Everyone is amazed how well I have recovered. I think it is very important to follow your surgeon's advice to the "t".

Comment from: Josiegurl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 46 years old and on January 21, 2014 I had an abdominal hysterectomy to remove large fibroids, enlarged uterus, and cervix. My incision is about 6 to 7 inches running from hip to hip. I am 10 days into recovery and I am now just finally able to start moving about the house more freely. I even made supper last night! I have no regrets about having this surgery and look forward to no longer suffering heavy bleeding and menstruating for 10 days each month!

Comment from: No Regrets, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 36 and had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. It was done through my abdomen. I had my uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes removed. I just have my ovaries. I had already had my tubes tied 7 years ago. I have 5 kids and I struggled with 7 day periods that were very heavy. I was in pain a lot of the time. They diagnosed me with having fibroids and my uterus was severely enlarged. My recovery has been fine but I find myself getting exhausted quickly! The gas was the worst for me at first but that subsided after a week or so. I am walking a bit faster now and not in pain as often. I am still very limited though. I do not regret my decision by far.

Comment from: Kazgb1993, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 13 days ago and I feel great. I was in the hospital 2 days. I still have brown bleeding which is normal up to 6 weeks and my bladder hurts, which according to other posts is also normal. It's after I have urinated I get pressure that hangs around for about an hour, I guess from the catheter. I haven't taken any pain medications for the last 4 days. My bowel movement was 4 days after the surgery and with a little help from fiber pills. I hope this information helps others.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?