Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: PortStClaire208, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I had my hysterectomy one and a half weeks ago. The problem I am having is the lack of after-surgery information. Everything seems to be healing properly. I do not understand and cannot find information on the reason why my areolas are dotted with little "scabs." I called the doctor, but they didn't understand either. Apparently this is not normal. I assume it is due to the lack of hormones and my milk secretions glands drying up. I am having the most normal bladder and stool movements in 20 years. The first three stools were very painful, but I was patient and tried to not "hurry" them up. I got tired of waiting on a bowel movement, so I did a natural laxative. I ate a can of cold pork and beans. The next morning, the stool came out very easily, though painfully. The gas from the beans actually pushed it on out. Regular laxatives are too unpredictable, don't always work, and are very painful. I had tried the "bean" thing when I was having problems after my son was born. It worked, so I tried it again. Now my stools are like clockwork, almost painless, and complete. I don't buy into the theory of using Tylenol...it isn't strong enough. Hydrocodone only cuts the pain by half. With the exceptions of a few minor problems, I would recommend this type of surgery if needed. It was a laproscopic vaginal procedure. The doctor only made three small incisions, and I had very little bruising. Good luck if you have one, and please do what the doctor tells you!

Comment from: rezzer, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 09

I had a hysterectomy in 2003, and aside from the doctor leaving two staples in me, I came out fine. I was in the hospital for four days. I had been having a lot of bleeding the year before, and when the doctor did the surgery, he said it was just in time as the cells were starting to change. I was 49. Estrogen helped; I took them for about 18 months. The hot flashes were awful. After the surgery, I started getting sick at home. When I started having a fever and shaking, I went to the emergency room. That's when they found the staples, which I was starting to have an allergic reaction to. Weird! But, I would do it again; anything was better than the constant bleeding.

Comment from: Blessed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had a hysterectomy in September. After about three months, I got severe pains in my stomach that felt like labor pains. I even felt as though I had to push. Then, I felt something coming through my vagina: It was my bowels and intestines. My vagina had prolapsed. I had to go through another surgery to repair everything. I have never heard of this happening. It was a very scary experience!

Comment from: razzagrl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had a hysterectomy in January of 2008. I have yet to have use of my bladder and have been self-catheterizing since. I have no feeling or sensation of my bladder, plus my bowels are messed up. I have been to a lot of doctors and all have said they believe I will get my feeling back. Easy for them to say! It's been eight months, and I feel as if there is no end. They said it could take up to two and a half years to get the feeling back! So here I have to wait another six months to see the doctor before we take the next step.

Comment from: dol002, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had a hysterectomy in 2000. I was sore for three months. I would not recommend a hysterectomy, unless you are told by the doctor that you have cancer. Get a second opinion from a female doctor before you decide to have a hysterectomy. If I had a chance to do this all over again, I would not think twice about canceling my appointment.

Comment from: Marcia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had my hysterectomy surgery over one year ago and I am still experiencing bouts of pain. I went to do an ultrasound that shows nothing is wrong. The doctor said it is part of the healing process.

Comment from: ugamom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had a hysterectomy with the assistance of laproscopy 19 days ago. I went home within 24 hours after the surgery. My recuperation has been very slow with one major problem. I am having intense burning and pelvic pain in the lower left quadrant of my abdomen. My surgeon states there is nothing left in there to cause pain. She sent me to a specialist. He put a needle into my abdomen using Lidocaine to "block" the pain. Talk about painful! This was done in his office. It is now four days after the needle block, and I still have the intense pain in my left side.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?